Review: CEntrance DACport Slim DAC/Amp Combo
Nov 13, 2016 at 12:52 AM Post #496 of 694
Is there really that much difference between two similarly priced dac/amps?

Nov 13, 2016 at 1:03 AM Post #497 of 694
Admittedly not much, but Dacport is noticeably brighter and I find the way the highs are rendered a bit unrealistic, and it is bothering me, which could be just my subjective perception.

Nov 13, 2016 at 9:16 PM Post #501 of 694
Other than being the unit I won't need, I don't quite get it. Still so much to learn about audiophile gear.
I'm looking for a small amp to run with the X3, maybe also use it with my N5.
I appreciate your help.

Nov 14, 2016 at 10:11 AM Post #505 of 694
Does the fact that the Dacport uses a AISO driver make it bypass the windows sound mixer by default? With my Schiit Modi (on win 10 no AISO support) if I run Tidal in exclusive mode it sounds noticeably better than if I set it at system default. The Dacport sounds the same no matter what I do. Not necessarily a bad thing I was just wondering. 

Nov 14, 2016 at 2:44 PM Post #507 of 694
I don't think so.  Both my Slim and HD will go through the Windows sound control panel by default.  I don't have Tidal anymore, but ASIO via foobar2k will adjust the Slim's bitrate playback based on the song playing.  That doesn't happen anywhere else for me.

I think ASIO might sound a tiny bit better than simply upsampling through windows, but I haven't done any blind a/b testing so I have no clue.

Nov 14, 2016 at 7:28 PM Post #509 of 694
I'm running UD v7.9.9.1 and Firmware 29 on my Slim.  CEntrance hasn't sent me anything new since then.  Shoot me a PM if you want any of these, I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back