Review: Cavalli Liquid Lightning
Oct 1, 2013 at 6:05 PM Post #287 of 312
dBel84, how could you possible construe my intentions as dishonest? I was not the instigator of the concerns raised, and rather than having this matter stew and manifest especially as it's a safety related I want the matter confirmed by Alex. Should be simple and straightforward, I don't see how this could possibly be an issue for Cavallli Audio to clarify.

Oct 1, 2013 at 6:38 PM Post #288 of 312
John, no one doubts your honesty.  Tensions can run high and emotions can be close to the surface when one is close to Alex and knows some of what he's gone through in the last couple years.  I'm not nearly as close to Alex as Don and can say I'm really hurting for him so I can only imagine how Don feels.

In any case, Don has stated Alex will be responding. If he's not giving a quickie answer I'd imagine its because he's drafting a much longer one, incorporating addressing all possible issues that have arisen, however valid they are.  Unless one were to deem Alex a liar, the quick assurance that one need not fear for any safety concerns would hopefully be enough to allay those fears until such time that he is able to post a complete and thorough answer.

Oct 1, 2013 at 6:40 PM Post #289 of 312
I had initially read your post in that matter and then saw the counterpost and concluded that you were playing a baiting game . If this were not so, your post on the other forum would not have been stated as you did. If you did not intend this interpretation of your motives, it might have been better not to have followed through elsewhere. BUT , let's not extend any ill feeling as I honestly harbor none. Alex will hopefully have access to his pc later and be able to clarify your safety concern which I have already stated , is not a concern at all. 

Oct 1, 2013 at 8:20 PM Post #290 of 312
Hi John. Good question.

The LL has been certified as acceptable for delivery into EU countries by Diversified Testing Technology Laboratories (http://www.dttlab.com). The CE sticker on the back of the amp is for real. This testing includes electrical, electromagnetic, and safety requirements.

The PS has an automatic shutdown feature if the amp draws too much current from either rail. This turns the power completely off.

Oct 1, 2013 at 11:14 PM Post #291 of 312
Alex,

Thank you for clearing this up that is re-asuring and great to know.

All the best,
John

Oct 2, 2013 at 12:03 AM Post #292 of 312
:facepalm:

It is ignorance of the design that might drive you to beat your forehead repeatedly. The LL is the only stat amp to sense the rails and shut the entire thing off if the safe operating current limit is exceeded. This will not only protect costly headphones but also the user as the amp will have completely shut itself down. In my mind, this is the safest solution. 

Oct 2, 2013 at 12:09 AM Post #293 of 312
Maybe it's just me but I don't get if anything is cleared. An amp that expensive should at least be built with the best build quality, design and parts. Look at how BHSE is made. That is the benchmark.

Oct 2, 2013 at 12:15 AM Post #294 of 312
I liked the design and outer build of the LL1, have no idea of the internals.  From what I can tell it looks like Alex will be taking everyone through the LL2's build step by step so they can see how it is made.  Alex stated elsewhere that he has fired and fired four different fab houses, hopefully whatever he's getting from the fifth is up to snuff.  If he's willing to post it despite the tone of the comments he's been getting lately, I have a feeling it is excellent.

Oct 2, 2013 at 12:20 AM Post #295 of 312
^ If that's the case, he should not have shipped the amp in the first place. Anyway, assembly quality is not the only problem. I hope it is excellent given the exposure he has had.

Oct 2, 2013 at 12:32 AM Post #296 of 312

:facepalm:

Kindly provide details about the LLmk1 amp that Kevin and Birgir don't already "know".

Maybe it's just me but I don't get if anything is cleared. An amp that expensive should at least be built with the best build quality, design and parts. Look at how BHSE is made. That is the benchmark.

The questions were:
"Does the LL pose a safety concern?"
Does the LLmk1 design "follow a similar safety feature?" [to Stax products]

The answers were:
Yes, the power shuts down if the "amp draws too much current from either rail."

I also like the BHSE construction. I don't know if it carries the LL certifications, and I personally liked the LLmk1 + 009 pairing better than the BHSE + 009 pairing. I do not like the price of neither.

Oct 2, 2013 at 12:38 AM Post #297 of 312

It is ignorance of the design that might drive you to beat your forehead repeatedly. The LL is the only stat amp to sense the rails and shut the entire thing off if the safe operating current limit is exceeded. This will not only protect costly headphones but also the user as the amp will have completely shut itself down. In my mind, this is the safest solution.

No idea how you came to the conclusion that it's the safest solution. I would take proper current limit at the output any day over a shut off at PS. There is a reason it's the only stat amp that's doing it and no, it's not because others can't do it.
Also, yeah, personal attack, you must be a genius to come up with that.

EDIT: I should say that it's only in my opinion that output resistor is better. It doesn't mean auto cut-off at PS can't be impletemented properly and do as good of a job. It's simply his saying that doing so it better than proper current limit at the output like all others are doing that drew my attention.

Also, I would have to point out my concern lies more with the build quality of the amp.

Oct 2, 2013 at 12:38 AM Post #298 of 312
(to h rav)

If problems were purely cosmetic, in a place where they aren't seen, and he's taken steps to better them, then the problem is less severe than its made out to be.  EC had something similar with the BA.  Srajan took some internals of what was a rat's nest at the time and Craig cleaned up the wiring on future builds.  It didn't affect the operation of the amp but for that kind of money, people do like to be assured everything looks well done.  I look forward to seeing a Alex's teardown as it will be a teardown merely of an amp rather than of the person behind it.

I've told prospective buyers before (and know many others who have said similar things) - if you want a perfect looking build, bordering on OCD, go headamp.  You just might have to wait a long time, but, like the Phantom Menace, its well worth the wait. 

Oct 2, 2013 at 10:17 AM Post #299 of 312
  (to h rav)

If problems were purely cosmetic, in a place where they aren't seen, and he's taken steps to better them, then the problem is less severe than its made out to be.  EC had something similar with the BA.  Srajan took some internals of what was a rat's nest at the time and Craig cleaned up the wiring on future builds.  It didn't affect the operation of the amp but for that kind of money, people do like to be assured everything looks well done.  I look forward to seeing a Alex's teardown as it will be a teardown merely of an amp rather than of the person behind it.

I've told prospective buyers before (and know many others who have said similar things) - if you want a perfect looking build, bordering on OCD, go headamp.  You just might have to wait a long time, but, like the Phantom Menace, its well worth the wait. 

Jar Jar Binks was worth the wait?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back