Review: Cavalli Liquid Lightning
Aug 4, 2012 at 2:18 PM Post #275 of 312
http://www.head-fi.org/t/614611/cavalli-audio-liquid-lightning/45#post_8587190

System impressions posted here. Enjoy. I sure am.

Aug 6, 2012 at 2:09 AM Post #276 of 312
Thanks. You seem to be a big Cavalli fan... I wouldn't give up the LF/LCD3 so easily though, even though my BHSE is coming.  

Aug 15, 2012 at 11:22 AM Post #277 of 312
I'm now using the 009s (happily) with my Stax 007t/ii amp, but audio nervosa has me curious about the Cavalli LL,
and my question is, for someone who really values tube sound magic, would the LL be satisfying?

I actually DO get that great tube bloom/mist/sweetness-in-the-highs that I crave from the Stax amp on the 009s,
and I'd miss it if was gone. Are any of the Cavalli users here tube fans also and have this pro-tube prejudiced mindset as I do?

I am attracted by the promises of solid/controlled/detailed bass of the Cavalli (athough the Stax bass, while a little understated, is very high quality).

Quick micro review off the top of my head from recent listening in anyone is interested...
Just to note here, I've been plowing thru my Beatles in Mono box set (which I very highly recommend to Beatles fans, as the Mono tracks are great with lots of insight but
there are also whole-albums' worth of unbelievably good Stereo mixes that are warm, clear and refined). Rubber Soul and Help have stereo mixes that have tonality that I never thought possible.
With the Stax amp/009 combo,
the vocals are about as gorgeous and full of character and bloom and nuance and fatigue-free as any Beatles sound I've heard ever in decades of Beatles heavy-listening
(and for that matter so are the guitars, resonant piano, and percussion). And the overall sound is full of glorious musical-entity separation with new insight into the sound of all the instrumentation
(and the mixing process, for better or worse). I just can't stop listening to this box set on the Staxes.

Thanks in advance.

[edit 8/15 for grammar]

Aug 15, 2012 at 11:29 AM Post #278 of 312
IMO, if you're a Cavalli fan you like tubes in one form or another. 

LF - Tube Hybrid
CTH - Tube Hybrid
LG - Tube

You get the idea. :D

So, being a fan myself I'd say yes. Cavalli amps do a good job of giving you a tube-like sound without most of the shortcomings of tubes. He definitely kept the house sound through the LL. 

Dec 8, 2012 at 7:48 PM Post #279 of 312
The Cavalli site states that "the new LL will have a similar look to the new Liquid Glass and the same machined aluminum construction". Does this mean that a silver front plate will be available?

I need that because all my gear is silver color and I want to keep all matching components.

Dec 25, 2012 at 10:04 PM Post #281 of 312
It means the case will be much beefier and the unit as a whole will be heavier (and better built in general). As for colors I'm not sure on that one, but Alex might have something in the works.

Quote:
The Cavalli site states that "the new LL will have a similar look to the new Liquid Glass and the same machined aluminum construction". Does this mean that a silver front plate will be available?

I need that because all my gear is silver color and I want to keep all matching components.

April from what it sounds like (via the website). While Alex hasn't officially stated anything it seems Tyll might have gotten a jump on a slightly higher price point. Doesn't surprise me. New case, more features. I think the price was a bit low to begin with. 

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/listening-stax-sr-900-and-great-headphone-amplifiers-cavalli-liquid-lightning (Note the price)

Quote:
Is there any news approximate production starting date & price?

Sep 30, 2013 at 6:27 PM Post #282 of 312
Alex,

Does the LL pose a safety concern?
KG and Stax amps are voltage and current limited at the output jack. Do your designs follow a similar safety feature?

Cheers,
John

Oct 1, 2013 at 3:58 PM Post #284 of 312
  Getting struck by lightning poses a safety concern.

I wish this was a laughing matter.

Alex,

Please answer my question from post #282, assuring the community your amps are safe to use should be simple enough.

Cheers
John

Oct 1, 2013 at 5:25 PM Post #285 of 312
John, if you had not counterposted on another forum with a smarmy remark, I might have thought your question was more honest and serious. Alex does not frequent the forums but I will allow you the benefit of the doubt and make him aware of your question. My assurance that the amps are safe will not cut it and thus I will have him explain why his safety precautions are better than any other stat amp DIY or commercial..dB

Users who are viewing this thread

Back