REVIEW : Burson Audio HA-160 with listening impressions
Jan 13, 2011 at 12:17 AM Post #16 of 85

Quote:
Damned floods, just this time 5 years ago we were praying for rain due to the drought. Looks like we prayed too much

Now lets pray for the floods to stop. 
frown.gif

BTW, i just bookmarked your review...its very nice and detailed. 
Now i cant wait for the Burson Standalone Dac. 

Jan 17, 2011 at 11:45 AM Post #17 of 85
I collect my HA-160 on Friday :)

Jan 24, 2011 at 7:27 PM Post #18 of 85
Well I got the Burson yesterday:

Out of the box the bass is quite bloated and not as refined as it was on my Darkvoice. I'm hoping burn in helps here. Also, my ideal listening volume seems to be stuck somewhere between step 4 and 5 which is annoying when I'm using the Onkyo NDS1

Jan 24, 2011 at 8:02 PM Post #19 of 85
Jan 24, 2011 at 8:44 PM Post #20 of 85
I just modify digital volume via itunes

Jan 24, 2011 at 9:01 PM Post #21 of 85
Yeah its fine when I'm using the Macbook Air as my transport. Any ideas for NDS1 or am I screwed for that?

Jan 25, 2011 at 1:09 AM Post #22 of 85
I meant in itunes, you can modify the digital volume for each individual song for playback via ipod' right click it and selecto info or properties, cant remember off the top of my head. And you can select a tab which gives you a volume slider. Modify it to your liking. And your setup looks very similar to the setup i had before other than DAC. it was awesome with the hd650

Jan 25, 2011 at 3:33 AM Post #23 of 85
Won't the NDS1 bypass all those digital settings though?

Jan 25, 2011 at 7:28 PM Post #24 of 85
Not as far as i know. Its the digital volume, its like turnig up the volume slider or yoir macbook via optical- it still affects it

Jan 25, 2011 at 9:33 PM Post #25 of 85
Hmmm, it doesn't seem to make a difference on mine. No matter how much I change the slider the volume is the same when listening from ipod docked on the NDS1

Jan 28, 2011 at 10:48 AM Post #26 of 85

I got mine now - "out of the box" I'd say the exact opposite to bloated! Quite lean and "new" - needs considerable burning in I'd say - but so far so good. Very detailed and just what I'd hoped for. Will post back after a bit more burning in and listening.

Quote:
Well I got the Burson yesterday:

Out of the box the bass is quite bloated and not as refined as it was on my Darkvoice. I'm hoping burn in helps here. Also, my ideal listening volume seems to be stuck somewhere between step 4 and 5 which is annoying when I'm using the Onkyo NDS1

Jan 31, 2011 at 2:40 AM Post #28 of 85
Well I got mine just after 29029 (so a couple of weeks) but alas I had a ground loop problem when connecting it to my Essences ST so I was refraining to make any impressions post because I don't want to be unfair to the unit.  The low gain jack was usable because the music would cover up the very faint noise but the high gain one was a lot more noticeable so I couldn't stand using it for extended periods of time.  But today I just received my isolator in the mail and now it is completely silent so I can form a proper impression of it. :)

Anyway during the two weeks even with the the noise it had been pretty good, it did bring out that extra performance with the K701 - the treble was much tighter and it added just that bit more kick in the bass, it wasn't louder but more prominent, the high gain jack was a lot punchier overall and made the K701 even more revealing but I felt the low gain jack was smoother and was more pleasant to listen to.  But now that I solved the ground loop problem I'm going to try the high gain jack again and see if my impressions would change.

Jan 31, 2011 at 3:17 AM Post #29 of 85
Haven't tried audiotechnica cans with it yet but i hear good things about pairing the raffinato with tube amps. Look at the woo lineup. The w5000 just performs much better with the good ol triode amps

Jan 31, 2011 at 7:07 AM Post #30 of 85
I never gelled with the W5000 - but the W1000x is going down a storm!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back