REVIEW : Burson Audio HA-160 with listening impressions
Feb 4, 2011 at 9:39 AM Post #46 of 85

Quote:
Have heard the ps-1000 which is the grado sound signature in a nutshell so i'm making generalisations based on the 'house sound of the aforementioned brands. The w5000 however I used for a period of time before and after ha-160.

But did you hear them with the HA-160? The reason I ask is that the W5000 doesn't have to be paired with a tube amp in order to perform at its best as you suggest. The HA5000 amplifier that was manufactured for audio-technica to be mated with the W5000, is a solid state amplifier, which by all accounts works beautifully.

However, the W5000 has a reputation for being notoriously picky with amps. Having said that, the flagship audio-technica store in Sydney, Australia is using the HA-160 / HA-160D to drive its headphone display so I'm interested to know if there is any synergy between them and the W5000.

The PS1000 is regarded by some Grado aficionado's as being quite a departure from the John Grado "house sound" as is the HF2. I've not heard the PS1000 but I do have the HF2 and it sounds quite subdued for a John Grado headphone. Given that the HA-160 has been described as having a rather analogue approach to amplification that has been likened to a tube amp, I've been wondering if it might work well with a Grado such as the HF2 or PS1000 rather than say, the livelier RS1i. 

Feb 4, 2011 at 11:57 AM Post #47 of 85

Quote:

So after about 2 weeks of use I don't find the Burson and the D7000s to be a good mix at all. Bass is well and truly "boomy" on all but the best recordings, and the treble starts to grate slightly. It almost feels like its giving them too much power and all the frequencies are pumped up. 

don't shoot the messenger...those Denon's are laughable IMHO. I briefly tried a d2k, it was terrible...even for $20, it would have been too expensive. 

Though I respect your opinion, I think your judgement on the Denons might be a tad harsh. There are many on Head-fi, including myself, that see the Denons (both D2000 and D7000) as excellent headphones that portray bass, among other things, in a way other headphones merely cannot. One of those qualities being- quality bass that reproduces subwoofer like effects in the best way that a headphone is capable of doing. So I think the asking price on the D2ks are actually quite reasonable for what they offer.

Feb 4, 2011 at 4:14 PM Post #48 of 85
Well, we all hear differently...I know I'm not the only one who find the d2k unlistenable. The idea that the same giant Japanese company is selling both the d2k and the T50RP leaves me confused, to say the least.

Feb 4, 2011 at 4:40 PM Post #49 of 85
Actually the D7000s sound incredibly good paired with my Darkvoice 332 tube amp. I've heard the D2000s and the D7000s destroy them in every aspect which is what should be the case given the price discrepancy. Its pretty obvious after this adventure that the D7000s needs to be paired with a neutral or colder sounding amp. Bassy amps just won't work, unless you're a huge basshead.

Feb 9, 2011 at 3:55 AM Post #51 of 85
Hmmm. I'd say wait it out and see how it goes. I myself am quite partial to the audiogd dac and although the ha-160d is about two and a half hundred dollars cheaper than that combo without decent interconnects, is still find that the seperates solution outperforms the intergrated one on every account to such an extent that i could justify a larger price differnece than that. I would see what burson whips up before making a decision. You don't know whether or not it would end up a killer gem

Feb 10, 2011 at 9:02 AM Post #52 of 85
Fellow burson

I am have been using my 160 since july of 2010 and have found the amp to be something of a revelation.It seems to
 work especially well with the akg 701 phones.I also own a set of grado rs1is as well. It works ok with the the grados but the grados
are not as neutral as the akg design. The burson has made me more aware of the affect that pacing has on music reproduction.I have
never possessed a component or have heard one either at home and or at high end audio stores that produces the pacing aspect of
music as this burson does. The burson also is very true to the sound of the original recordings, it seems to make a lot of recordings sound
a lot different from the way they have sounded on either my or in any of my friends systems tube or solid state.The burson also seems to be
possessed of a dynamic ability that i was not exposed to before.There is a much greater sense of power to higher quality recordings.I have a new
awareness as to that aspect of recorded music as well.I have not heard this aspect of music reproduction even in very exotic high end
gear at local high end stores in my area with some very expensive equipment.I have been a avid listener in my 57 years and it is amazing
that a very affordable headphone amp can perform at such a elevated performance level as to expose such weaknesses in exotic high end
systems many times more costly.I believe you will be amazed at the performance level of the burson ha 160 amp.Be patient though as it does
take some time to burn it in (those 300 hours that the reviewers have suggested are pretty close in my findings) after it is broken in you will find the
burson as much a revelation as it has been to me.My listening has been changed profoundly with the burson.

Feb 11, 2011 at 2:55 AM Post #53 of 85
Yippeee. Welcome to the club. The burson scales very very well in comparison to the more expensive amps. I would only justify purchasing the WA22 and the wa5 and the concerto (a bit sibilant imo) to replace the burson, with the concerto being the only amp in the same price bracket. anything else under 1500 save for perhaps a wa2 pimped up with upgrade tubes I would give a miss

Feb 11, 2011 at 3:26 AM Post #54 of 85

Quote:
fellow burson

i am have been using my 160 since july of 2010 and have found the amp to be something of a revelation.it seems to
 work especially well with the akg 701 phones.i also own a set of grado rs1is as well. it works ok with the the grados but the grados
are not as neutral as the akg design. the burson has made me more aware of the affect that pacing has on music reproduction.i have
never possesd a component or have heard one either at home and or at high end audio stores that has produced the pacing aspect of
music as this burson does. 

I think it's time to save pennies for my K701 too.
biggrin.gif
I wanna join the Burson Clan too.
biggrin.gif

Feb 15, 2011 at 12:23 PM Post #55 of 85
Slight off-topic, but has anyone done any sort of meaningful comparison of the Burson against the Violectric HPA V200 (with onboard DAC) ?

The Burson is on my home rig and I'm thinking of the V200 for my work PC and/or lap top. Wondered as I will be using the same cans - whether people think the Burson has the edge? So far I am very happy with the Burson btw. It is sensitive to power cables though.

Feb 18, 2011 at 7:23 AM Post #58 of 85
Glad you like it. The akgs pair especially well with the burson

Sep 5, 2011 at 12:32 PM Post #60 of 85
BUMP

I have the Burson HA-160D paired with the AKG K702 and am about to pull the trigger on the Sennheiser HD800. I notice you also have the HD800 and was wondering how you rate them with the Burson.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back