[Review] Brainwavz HM5, A New Neutral Champ
Jun 13, 2012 at 1:55 AM Post #1,246 of 1,750
Quote:
I took the plunge on the Jaycars today. Honestly, I'm looking at getting a V-Moda cable for them. For one, it's angled. For two, I can get it in purple. 
wink_face.gif
 (kidding)

What!? where did you find one with dual-out termination?
I'd love a 1m cable if they have any

Jun 14, 2012 at 11:06 PM Post #1,249 of 1,750
The brushed aluminum on the left side is somewhat raised on the left cup on my HM5's. I noticed a very slight different in the curvature on the metal part of the headband, and due to that the left side of the headphone adjusts easier than the right side, but on your head they won't adjust any easier, so it's no big deal. The pads are protein leather not pleather(plastic leather), still not real leather, but is breathable, non-sticky, and I believe made of natural materials, actually I believe protein leather is more breathable and non-sticky than genuine leather. Despite the minor gripes on the headband and brushed aluminum, I can say the build quality is far better than my previous two headphones the Sennheiser HD 555(Creaky and feels like a cheap toy) and the AKG K240 Studio(plastic cup on right side cracked within two months of use, otherwise build quality is good).
Quote:
Well, I suppose we would need to confirm this with owner impressions amongst the rebrands; but I'm just going off a hunch that part of the reason the Jaycar cans are substantially cheaper than the Brainwavz or FA variants may be due to a lower cost to manufacture(warranty commitment is likely another built-in cost). This could mean that they have less stringent quality standards that the other brands have set in place. Maybe the headset I own didnt quite make the cut, and Jaycar simply buys all the B-rate products. Or maybe I'm just being picky and they all receive the same treatment!

Anyway, a few things that stand out on my set:
-Brushed aluminum laminant always seems to raise by the two cresent edges(may need to apply glue to keep them from popping up)
-Right headband doesnt have the same curvature as the left(right is more straight), so when the headphone is fully extended and hanging from a stand, it hangs somewhat lopsided. This however doesnt seem to affect the way it sits on your head.
-With the screws out, the left cup backing stays on securely, where the right backing will fall out from gravity alone.
-Pleather pads have somewhat inconsistent firmness. Also on one of the two pairs, it looks like the foam was crushed and contorted; this could simply have been from packaging, but you can re-align them with a little effort.

You can tell I'm grasping at straws here, since none of these defects appear to degrade the sound in any way. Overall, for the price I paid, I have no problem overlooking the branding, and finished quality as long as they sound the same(they were $83 cheaper than the Brainwavz at the time of purchase). To me, $70 is still a great buy for these headphones, just as I would consider the HM5's a great deal at $99-110.

Jun 15, 2012 at 1:16 AM Post #1,250 of 1,750
Quote:
The brushed aluminum on the left side is somewhat raised on the left cup on my HM5's. I noticed a very slight different in the curvature on the metal part of the headband, and due to that the left side of the headphone adjusts easier than the right side, but on your head they won't adjust any easier, so it's no big deal. The pads are protein leather not pleather(plastic leather), still not real leather, but is breathable, non-sticky, and I believe made of natural materials, actually I believe protein leather is more breathable and non-sticky than genuine leather. Despite the minor gripes on the headband and brushed aluminum, I can say the build quality is far better than my previous two headphones the Sennheiser HD 555(Creaky and feels like a cheap toy) and the AKG K240 Studio(plastic cup on right side cracked within two months of use, otherwise build quality is good).

Interesting. The aluminum plating is also slightly raised on the left cup of my HM5s. My left headband doesn't appear to have a different curvature, but the left cup definitely sits a lot looser than the right (it falls out by itself with a bit of gravity). I actually wish the pads were a little thicker, since they get compressed quite a lot just from the clamping. Took a few stretches on some books to relieve the awful clamping force, but I'm afraid of overstretching it and having them become too loose.

Jun 15, 2012 at 6:09 AM Post #1,252 of 1,750
Quote:
Hi guys! just got an HM5 from a member, just wondering if there is a successful mod for them. or what help can the fa003 damp from gd-audio change from stock hm5?

Hey! 
biggrin.gif
 Waaaaay back towards the beginning of this thread there was a T50RP modder who had a pair of these and tried putting damping material inside the cups. Some acoustic foam and dynamat I think it was. He didn't report being able to notice a big difference. One thing that does definitely make a difference is covering the bass vents. There are little openings on either side of the cup, near the hinges. Covering them up half way or so with pieces of electrical tape is supposed to flatten out the bass some, but the tread-off is it reduces the amount of overall bass. No idea about the Fischer damping.

Jun 16, 2012 at 12:13 AM Post #1,253 of 1,750
ohhh thanks, i was thinking about the high edition conversion, but i dont know how to get them yet. you know the 200 impedance fa-002w high edition. that would be cool if i find where to get the upgrader. then maybe the dampener and and a wood cup for the hm5 then ill prolly be set for years

Jun 16, 2012 at 4:23 AM Post #1,254 of 1,750
Quote:
ohhh thanks, i was thinking about the high edition conversion, but i dont know how to get them yet. you know the 200 impedance fa-002w high edition. that would be cool if i find where to get the upgrader. then maybe the dampener and and a wood cup for the hm5 then ill prolly be set for years

I remember hearing that high edition converter thing being mentioned a long time ago, but never saw or heard anything about it again. Does it even exist?

Jun 16, 2012 at 2:24 PM Post #1,255 of 1,750
high-edition here:  http://gd-audiobase.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&category_id=5&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=161&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=2

probably best to send them an email to see if you can obtain kit separately.

Jun 16, 2012 at 2:47 PM Post #1,256 of 1,750
Quote:
high-edition here:  http://gd-audiobase.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&category_id=5&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=161&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=2

probably best to send them an email to see if you can obtain kit separately.

I was asking about the high edition converter. Apparently there was going to be some sort of converter to turn any regular FA-002w into a high edition. In any case the only difference between the regular and the high is impedance? Does that really make that huge a difference in SQ?

Jun 16, 2012 at 5:30 PM Post #1,257 of 1,750
Indeed ... & that was why i suggested emailing them & asking about a "separate kit".   i do remember those earlier comments about making such a converter available, but i have a feeling they have changed their minds ... now that people realize lindy = brainwavz = fischer. 

i bought some impedance adapters a while back, intending to use them for grados on a tube amp ... there was a change but i couldn't say if it was an improvement or not & i didn't have the patience/wherewithal to do double-blind testing.
Quote:

I was asking about the high edition converter. Apparently there was going to be some sort of converter to turn any regular FA-002w into a high edition. In any case the only difference between the regular and the high is impedance? Does that really make that huge a difference in SQ?

Jun 16, 2012 at 10:47 PM Post #1,258 of 1,750
$50 is the kit....

Edit: It seems you need to buy the FA-002w and the kit as a package. But I don't see any reason why you can't turn your HM5 into "High Edition" with an adapter (e.g. 120ohm/150ohm adapter).

Jun 17, 2012 at 12:40 AM Post #1,260 of 1,750
This one is cheaper at $11, but only offers 120ohm and 240ohm. (you could ask them if they do 150ohm too)

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Etymotic-ER4P-ER4S-3-5MM-plug-resistor-adaptor-/270986675386?pt=US_Headphones&hash=item3f181084ba

I think 150ohm would be closer to bring 64ohm to 200ohm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back