[REVIEW] Blox M2c
Mar 30, 2012 at 2:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 106

ClieOS

IEM Reviewer Extraordinaire
First, I’ll to thank Blox for the M2c sample. Blox is an odd brand. They are first known for their TM5 – a supposedly US$180 top-tier earbud which unfortunately I have had no luck of hearing as it was out-of-stock most of the time and discontinued before many can get their hand on one. But Blox did make itself a reputation as quality earbuds maker among few who did get to hear the TM5. Their second offering, the M2c, is taking a more humble road by selling at a much cheaper price – around $29 if you order more than 5 pairs or $47 shipped if you order a single pair. But just because it is cheap doesn’t mean it is not going to be good sounding. In fact, it is the opposite – I’ll still consider this is a great pair of earbud even if it costs $94 - but for half as much? This is a steal!

M2c.jpg

Spec
Driver : 15mm Dynamic
Frequency Response: 20Hz – 18kHz
Impedance: 30Ω
Sensitivity: 110dB/mW @ 1KHz
Cable: 1.2 m. (3.5mm. plug)

Packaging, Accessories and Build Quality
Okay, the section will be really short. M2c really has no formal packaging or accessories to speak with. You will actually need to supply your own foam pad, and I do recommend you get some foam pads and mod them to donut foam (cut a small hole on the front side so the pad looks like donut). Does it matter M2c come with no accessories at all? Not really, but it is not like hard case and foam pad are hard to find on eBay or cost a ton of money.

Build quality wise, M2c is decent, as in on par with most earbuds I have seen and nothing really to complain about. Yes, it is not going to wow people with its generic Sennheiser MX series housing, but who care when the earbuds itself sounds so good and costs so little?

Sound Quality
The earbuds has been given well over 100 hours of burn-in. It was recommended by Blox to burn the earbud for about 10 hours before any serious auditioning but I have the chance to compare a brand new pair with one that has clocked into well over 300 hours and frankly I think the brand new pair is doing just fine. The difference between the two isn’t something major and I don’t think it is worth spending that much time not enjoying such a good sounding earbud.

So how does M2c sound like? The first thing that grabs me is its open soundstage. Compared to the really open, bright and dry HiSound Audio’s Living and the lusher, warmer Yuin PK1, M2c’s presentation is somewhere in the middle, if not a little toward Living. It is almost as open as Living with a very clean sound, but still carries a sense of lushness between notes not to be too dry. While it might not be quite as detail as Living nor as textured as PK1, the presentation itself is lively, dynamic and fun – almost like an upgraded PK3, but cleaner, more refined, forward and open. If there is one spot of weakness in M2c’s sound, it will be the slightly short of depth in the soundstage that pushes everything more forward than they should be, even though the soundstage has a pretty impressive side-to-side reach.

M2c doesn’t have the deepest bass, the brightest treble, the magical mid or the best soundstage – but what it does have is the good combination of everything. It is easy to drive and sounds fantastic on most decent source, and the price tags will give any earbuds a good run for its money. It is fun to listen and makes me enjoy the music more than I enjoy the earbud – and that’s always a good thing for the listener.

Verdict
It is hard to believe $47 can buy an earbud so good, but it is true. If you can organize a group buy, it will absolutely be the best $29 you can even spend on earbud. It is THE earbud to get if you are looking for a fun, high enjoyable earbud that scales over PK3. While M2c might not be the technically best sounding I have ever heard, it is not too far off from some of the best either. The only question left is, will we ever find another great earbud on such a bargain price? That’s will certain be heaven for all earbud lover again.

Check out the Earbuds Round-up thread in my sig. for quick comparison.

Mar 30, 2012 at 3:21 PM Post #3 of 106
I love mine as well. I wonder what they would sound like with a PA2v2? Be sure to keep us informed on Blox's new flagship! Certainly a steal for under $50. Sold off a pair of Super Fi 5 pro's to get one, and still had some money left over. Perfect for the gym, sleep, whatever.

Apr 2, 2012 at 4:47 AM Post #4 of 106
I love mine as well. I wonder what they would sound like with a PA2v2? Be sure to keep us informed on Blox's new flagship! Certainly a steal for under $50. Sold off a pair of Super Fi 5 pro's to get one, and still had some money left over. Perfect for the gym, sleep, whatever.

Though doesn't need an amp, M2c does sound really good with PA2V2 because it goes rather well with the lushness of the amp. but I really love the pairing of M2c and JDS's C421-AD8620, which adds back the depth that is missing from M2c and create a very dimensional and layered soundstage.

Apr 2, 2012 at 4:38 PM Post #7 of 106
makes me really wish i never sold my pa2v2

Apr 2, 2012 at 4:41 PM Post #8 of 106
Do they have the lack-luster bloated bass atypical of earbuds of this level?
I've got a wonderfully mid-focused cube earphones that would be perfect if it wasn't for the low-end reproduction. 

Apr 2, 2012 at 5:43 PM Post #10 of 106

Quote:
the bass is pretty great, for an earbud. I wouldn't call it bloated.

So it's not tonally off or weird sounding?
My experiences have  either been bloated weak bass on most models, or overpowering muddy bass on the high-end sennys.

Apr 3, 2012 at 1:38 AM Post #12 of 106
it's quite punchy. Did you sell your PA2v2 chris? have you used it with this?

Apr 3, 2012 at 3:25 AM Post #13 of 106
Do you have any idea of the pricepoint Blox is aiming at for their upcoming flagship earbuds? Is the price comparable to the M2c or more inline with something like a YUIN PK1/Sennheiser MX980?

Apr 3, 2012 at 5:09 AM Post #15 of 106
Do you have any idea of the pricepoint Blox is aiming at for their upcoming flagship earbuds? Is the price comparable to the M2c or more inline with something like a YUIN PK1/Sennheiser MX980?

I'll say it is more likely going to be around the same level as TM5, which was $180. That's just my guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back