Review: Beyerdynamic DX160iE
Feb 26, 2014 at 1:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

ostewart

Reviewer at Sound Perfection Reviews
Formerly affiliated with HiFi Headphones
Beyerdynamic DX 160iE Review:

I would firstly like to thank Thomas from Polar Audio (Beyerdynamic distributor in the UK) for lending me this sample for review. I will write as honest a review possible. The DX 160iE and DX120iE are the latest in the beyerdynamic IEM line up.
These received over 50hrs of burn-in, no differences were noted.

Gear Used:
Fiio X3 > Silver mini-mini > JDS Labs C5D > DX 160iE (bi-flange tips)

Tech Specs:
Driver: Dynamic 10mm
Frequency response: 10Hz - 25kHz
Nominal Impedance: 47Ω
Sensitivity: 107dB
Cable Length: 1.2m
Connector: 3.5mm jack plug
Price: €99

Packaging, Build Quality and Accessories:
Packaging is white and grey, similar to most Beyerdynamic packaging, very sleek and clean packaging. The front has a magnetic flat that opens to allow you to see the IEM's inside. Specifications and accessories are listed on the back, information is listed on the inside of the front magnetic flap. Inside you will find the IEM's securely placed in a foam insert, a semi-hard clamshell case and other accessories are found below in a white card insert. Very easy to open and get to everything inside, and a very simple but attractive package.

Build quality is great, as are most Beyer models, the housing is metal and feels very sturdy, the cable is a flat cable with a detachable section at the y-split. The strain relief on the housing is nice and flexible, the strain relief on the right angled jack however is very stiff, but that section of the cable is replaceable. The cable unfortunately doesn't have a cinch, so you cannot tighten the slack from the y-split to the ears, which is unfortunate as these suffer from mild cable noise, and that would have solved the problem. Overall the build quality is good though, and apart from maybe the bottom section of the cable failing because of the lack of strain relief, I see no problems with it.

Accessories are good, you get plenty of tips and a semi-hard clamshell case. You get (XS, S, M, L) in standard single flange, L shallow single flange tips, M bi-flange tips and M triple flange tips, also included are a pair of M Comply foam tips plenty of tips to ensure all will get a good fit. Also included is a cable clip and adapter so you can share your music with someone else, and a cable clip. All the necessary, and they haven't forgotten anything.

Comfort, Isolation, Driver flex and Cable noise:
Comfort is good, with the bi-flange tips I can get quite deep insertion, and the housing is a good shape to fit in your ear, not protruding much. I really like the understated design of these IEM's, the cable is comfy and the y-split where it detaches is not bulky.

Isolation is good, especially for a vented IEM, they block out plenty of noise for general usage, and would be fine for public transport.

Driver flex is sometimes present, but not a big problem with these.

Cable noise is present unfortunately, and the cable doesn't like to stay behind the ear so it is difficult to wear them with the cable over the ear, and there is no cable cinch so it is a hard problem to solve. The cable clip helps somewhat but not as good as a cinch or if they were suitable to be worn over the ear.

Sound:
Split in to the usual categories with a conclusion at the end.

Lows: Good presence and extension, rumble is present and they don't struggle with deep bass, that's not to say they are bass heavy though, as they are not. The lows are not the tightest, but do not affect the mids too much, also they never become too boomy. The lows have very good impact with great body too, very fun yet not over the top, giving the sound a very nice low end yet never shadowing the other frequencies.

Mids:  The mids are placed a little forward with the DX160iE and they don't suffer badly from warming of the lows, they portray both male and female vocals well, and guitars are nice and crisp. Mids are nicely detailed, acoustic music has great separation, decay and spaciousness.

Highs: These don't fair too badly in the highs, they have enough presence to keep them from sounding overly dark, and have enough sparkle to satisfy most without being overly bright. The highs extend nicely, they also have good speed and separation never becoming too splashy.

Soundstage is fairly wide and has good air and spaciousness, instrument separation is equally good and imaging is convincing.

Overall these improve upon the DX120iE by having a bit more of a balanced sound, not as warm as the DX120, these have much better presence and extension in the highs, the lows are slightly more controlled but do sound a little detached sometimes, and the mids are a little more forward. I would say they have a mild mid hump, which brings vocals forward, but they never become shouty. These again have a non fatiguing sound, and work well with most genres, but I found them to excel with acoustic music.

Tracks Used:
Skrillex – First Of The Year (Equinox) (320kbps MP3)
Paramore – Franklin (320kbps MP3)
Diana Krall – The Girl In The Other Room (FLAC)
Deolinda – Passou Por Mim E Sorriu (live) (ALAC)
Suicide Silence – Unanswered (FLAC)
Massive Attack – Angel (ALAC)
Eat Static – Dzhopa Dream (ALAC)
The XX – Crystalised (FLAC)
Funeral For A Friend – Bend Your Arms To Look Like Wings (ALAC)
Mumford & Sons – Little Lion Man (FLAC)
The Scene Aesthetic – Humans (259kbps MP3)
A Hero A Fake – Swallowed By The Sea (254kbps MP3)
Vivaldi – The Four Seasons, Spring Allegro (ALAC)
Johnny Craig – Children Of Divorce (161kbps MP3)
Deadmau5 + Kaskade – I Remember (Caspa Remix) (320kbps MP3)
Black Uhuru – Utterance (ALAC)
We Are The In Crowd – Never Be What You Want (226kbps MP3)
Silverstein – Discovering The Waterfront (320kbps MP3)
Concept Of Thought – Our Thought (FLAC)
Nirvana – Something In The Way (Unplugged) (ALAC)

Feb 27, 2014 at 6:21 PM Post #2 of 29
Great review! I had an earlier model DTX-100 which also sounded great, but my only gripe with it was it was too light. I thought it was going to break just by putting it in my ear! But the sound was stellar! Detailed mids 7 the bass was tight.

Good thing from your pictures, is they've added lots of eartips, a nice case and a unique adapter for sharing.

Have you listened to Sony XBA-1? If you did, how would you compare it these?

Feb 28, 2014 at 4:14 AM Post #3 of 29
The Sony XBA-1 was too bass light, had little body and also splashy highs. The DX160 has great body without sounding too thick, and the highs are well extended and controlled, without any peaks that cause fatigue.

Mar 14, 2014 at 4:24 PM Post #4 of 29
Ostewart mentions the term "vented IEM" and I am afraid I am not familiar with that term.  While clearly a neophyte, does that mean it is vented in similar way to an open headphone?

Other than my slight confusion, it was a very good post and after being a huge V-Moda supporter I have branched out to Etamotics, Audio Technica, Westone, Shure and  I am always interested in sampling some other brands.  This sounds like a economical way to forage into Beyerdynamics.

Mar 14, 2014 at 4:37 PM Post #5 of 29
  Ostewart mentions the term "vented IEM" and I am afraid I am not familiar with that term.  While clearly a neophyte, does that mean it is vented in similar way to an open headphone?

Other than my slight confusion, it was a very good post and after being a huge V-Moda supporter I have branched out to Etamotics, Audio Technica, Westone, Shure and  I am always interested in sampling some other brands.  This sounds like a economical way to forage into Beyerdynamics.

Vented IEM just means there is a hole/vent somewhere on the IEM to make it open (or semi-open) on the rear-side. 

Mar 14, 2014 at 6:58 PM Post #6 of 29
Am I to assume that creates a different sound signature of sorts? Possibly a larger soundstage?

Must I also assume that these would not be good for active use because of moisture?

Sorry, just trying to learn something new.

Mar 14, 2014 at 7:31 PM Post #7 of 29
Am I to assume that creates a different sound signature of sorts? Possibly a larger soundstage?

Must I also assume that these would not be good for active use because of moisture?

Sorry, just trying to learn something new.

It depends on the size of the hole.  Some of them are used for tuning the signature, others are just used for depressurization while inserting and to decrease driver flex.  There are a lot of IEMs that are ported/vented that will work fine in the active setting.  Most of the time, the holes are too small for liquids to even get it. 

Mar 15, 2014 at 1:37 PM Post #8 of 29
These are vented for pressure reasons (prevent driver flex), not really open. The hole is small and I wouldn't worry about moisture to be honest.

Mar 21, 2014 at 7:26 AM Post #9 of 29
Thanks for your in depth review osteward!

Recently my Beyerdynamic DTX 101 iE got stolen and now I'm looking for some new IEM's. I was really happy with my old Beyerdynamic's and really like the DX 160's. I was wondering if you would recommend those to a 'bass-heavy' (mostly house/techno) music listener like me. In your review you say the DX 160's aren't bass heavy, but don't struggle with deep bass. Could you explain that a little more to me as a noob? I looking for some IEM's where the bass isn't overpowered but really is present (like my old DTX 101's). I could ofcourse buy some new DTX 101's, but I like the flat cables, ear tips and accessoires of the DX 160.

Thanks in advance!

Mar 21, 2014 at 9:02 AM Post #10 of 29
Basically the bass doesn't overpower but when called for can hit hard and deep. They would suite house fine unless you like over the top bass.

The bass never veils the rest of the sound either.

Mar 27, 2014 at 10:53 AM Post #11 of 29
I have a DTX 910 from Beyer. In my opinion, it has a warm sound. I use it at home with my MBP. 
Your review is great! I am wondering if DX160 have a similiar sound like my 910.  I like my 910 and wanna buy an IEM with similiar sound.
And you also mentioned that 160 is not as warm as 120. Do you mean 120 has a warmer sound? How about the bass level of 120?

Thank you :)

Mar 28, 2014 at 2:57 AM Post #12 of 29
The DX 160 ie is looking very promising, especially with all of the positive reviews. I too am upgrading from my MMX 101ie; does anyone know what the difference in sq will be? I loved the 101 so I'm assuming this should provide a similar but updated sound since they priced it a good deal higher.  I like the new style, flat cables, and accessories so I may just pick these up.

Mar 28, 2014 at 3:01 AM Post #13 of 29
Oh one more thing: what's the point for both the DX (120, 160) series and now the DTX/MMX 102ie series when they are priced so similarly? Are they supposed to have different sound signatures or am I missing something? Beyer's website is not specific at all in regards to this and it's getting confusing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back