Review: Beyerdynamic DT880 03' w/ comparison to my beloved AD700's.
Sep 1, 2008 at 5:53 AM Post #17 of 59
But enjoyable fons can be fatiguing when doing something else while listening (e.g. internet). With the DT880, you can listen for days nonstop.

Same is to be applied to the K701, but I don't like the white giant too much, it just does work-to-rule in the lower departments.

Sep 1, 2008 at 6:28 AM Post #18 of 59
I don't think the AD700's are fatiguing. The DT880's are moreso due to the over sparkly treble.

I do agree that in comparison, the AD700's sound unnatural, coloured and lacking in detail. Plus the bass lines aren't as noticeable on the AD700's. I think what makes me really attracted to the AD700's is the incredible airyness and soundstage.

Sep 1, 2008 at 8:03 AM Post #19 of 59
After you familiarize yourself with the 880 sound more, you should find the AD700's sound a bit "flabby" in comparison. Both are nice cans and I've kept both.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 1, 2008 at 8:09 AM Post #20 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by n3rdling /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After you familiarize yourself with the 880 sound more, you should find the AD700's sound a bit "flabby" in comparison. Both are nice cans and I've kept both.
smily_headphones1.gif

Yeah, I'm feeling that right now... It's just when I listen to the 880's I really miss the nice mids and soundstage of the AT's and when I listen to the AT's I miss the detail, clarity and bass of the Beyers
redface.gif
They have grown on me a lot know. Ok Computer does sound better on the Beyers.

I think I may just have to keep both too
biggrin.gif

Sep 1, 2008 at 8:23 AM Post #21 of 59
On every HP existing, there's something to be missed. Meanwhile, I guess the perfect can doesn't exist due to technical impossibility.

Sep 1, 2008 at 8:27 AM Post #23 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickchen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On every HP existing, there's something to be missed. Meanwhile, I guess the perfect can doesn't exist due to technical impossibility.

I suppose it's just a matter of deciding what you mind missing least of all.

Surely though, there must be something with the detail and bass of the DT880's and the mids and soundstage of the AD700's
biggrin.gif

Sep 1, 2008 at 10:30 AM Post #24 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by fraseyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There must be something with the detail and bass of the DT880's and the mids and soundstage of the AD700's

That would be the W5000. Another almost perfect product with coloured mids.

Sep 1, 2008 at 10:49 AM Post #25 of 59
Nice review! I'm almost crazy enough to buy a pair outright on looks alone. Those '03s are just gorgeous!

I'm guessing you'd say they're somewhere in between the AD700s and the HD580s in terms of tone then? And the opposite end of the spectrum in terms of ultimate detail?

Must say, if you did decide to sell those DT880s at some point I'm not sure I could stop myself.
smily_headphones1.gif

They do sound like cans to grow into though from what I've read. Be interested to hear your thoughts after a few weeks
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 1, 2008 at 1:20 PM Post #26 of 59
Another great review Fras....
smily_headphones1.gif

Oh man, I'm starting to feel 'recessed mid syndrome' out of my AD700's. Damn upgradeitis (Denon C700 canalphones) thus no $$$. :/
Anyway, ya right about the AD700's price, it's stupidly good value.

Anyway Fras, how's the burn-in on the DT880's?

Sep 1, 2008 at 2:56 PM Post #27 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by fraseyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
MidsLess prominent, slightly recessed compared to the rest of the music. I personally can't stand recessed mids. Luckily it's not TOO bad on the DT880's. I originally thought that the AD700's had recessed mids, but that seems to have been fixed with burn in. One thing about the mids though is that they seem to be separated from the rest of the music. The mids are in your head and the rest of the music is like around you. The tone of the mids is less bright than the AD700's as well. Overall they seem more natural but less fun.

Ah yes. The Johnny Cash effect.
wink.gif

I like them though I think I really need a good amp. They don't sound as good as I want them to be..

Sep 1, 2008 at 3:51 PM Post #28 of 59
Is the only difference between 03's and a new one cosmetic?

I ordered the 880 from amazon and I can see the differences in the pictures as compared to yours. A bit disappointing as I think the older ones look better, but it won't matter to me in the end if that is the only difference.

Sep 1, 2008 at 4:18 PM Post #30 of 59
I do notice quite a bit more quantity of bass than most people would describe. Where is the best place to get the 03 model? Preferably new but that might be pushing it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back