[Review] Battle of the Entry-Level Rivals: Ultrasone HFI-580 vs Audio Technica M50 (vs Pro700 MK2)
Aug 5, 2011 at 4:08 PM Post #32 of 146
Great review!

Dec 7, 2011 at 12:32 AM Post #36 of 146
I probably still need to give the PRO700mk2 a try sometimes but I'm wondering which pads that would be a good fit. The stock ones seem way too small to be circumaural and the M50 pads get way too sweaty for me (and don't like what was described as the change in sound).

What is described as the "messy" sound is the huge emphasis in upper bass to lower-mids range as well as somewhat recessed highs contributing to the perhaps too warmish sound for your liking. While it leads to a "messier" sound, the sound also feels more heavy/full which is something I personally like, a V-shaped response curve leads to the opposite, thin.

I've auditioned 700's briefly and agree about the pads. These headphones need to be circumaural. Im curious if the M50 pads will help it be more completely circumaural, as opposed to half sitting on the ear... But yes.. The M50 pads are a bit of a sweat. That and they get kind of stiff and scratchy.

Both are phenomenal headphones, but understandably, M50's more mirror monitoring headphones whereas the PRO700's are bass heavy true DJ headphones.

I'd really like some 700 impressions from someone with an Amp. I'm probably getting a pair soon, around the holidays, so I should be back.

Dec 11, 2011 at 9:01 PM Post #37 of 146
Just a question, how many cm long/wide are the insides of the cups on the pro700s/HFI-580s? I want to know so I have something to compare to before I make a purchase. I want them to fit around my ears and they are fairly large, so this information would help me a lot. Thanks! :)

Dec 11, 2011 at 10:10 PM Post #38 of 146

Quote:
Just a question, how many cm long/wide are the insides of the cups on the pro700s/HFI-580s? I want to know so I have something to compare to before I make a purchase. I want them to fit around my ears and they are fairly large, so this information would help me a lot. Thanks! :)

I don't actually have both headphones with me right now (the Pro700 MK2s were an audition set, lent my HFI-580 to a friend), but the HFI-580 has fairly deep cups and pretty wide space, while the Pro700 MK2s are barely circumaural, causing parts of the ear to press against the pads.

Dec 12, 2011 at 8:21 PM Post #39 of 146
the Pro700 MK2s are barely circumaural, causing parts of the ear to press against the pads.

Is this resolved with the M50 pads?

Dec 13, 2011 at 9:43 PM Post #41 of 146
Yes, though the circular shape of the cups messes around with the oval-ly shape of the pads.

Could you elaborate on "messes around with"? I had a different pair of Audio Technica DJ cans, the PRO5MK2's, and they didn't have enough bass and neither did the M50's. Im planning on picking up some PRO700MK2's soon.

However, it's really important to me that these are circumaural and not kind of circumaural. If you say that the M50 pads better help it sit around the ear I may pick up those pads. Hell that's why I put crocheted padding under my W5K pads because it would sometimes sit on my ear.

Dec 13, 2011 at 10:17 PM Post #42 of 146

Quote:
Could you elaborate on "messes around with"? I had a different pair of Audio Technica DJ cans, the PRO5MK2's, and they didn't have enough bass and neither did the M50's. Im planning on picking up some PRO700MK2's soon.
However, it's really important to me that these are circumaural and not kind of circumaural. If you say that the M50 pads better help it sit around the ear I may pick up those pads. Hell that's why I put crocheted padding under my W5K pads because it would sometimes sit on my ear.

It's like... you know... when you put oval pads around a circular frame...

With the M50 pads it becomes circmaural, don't worry.

Dec 18, 2011 at 10:49 PM Post #43 of 146
It's like... you know... when you put oval pads around a circular frame...

With the M50 pads it becomes circmaural, don't worry.

I'm gonna order the HFI 580's and some dt 250 velour pads to place on them if I find them uncomfortable. My current pair of cans are the HD428s, so this will be both an upgrade and better bass while still retaining the other parts of the music I like. :) Thanks for the helpful guide!

Dec 30, 2011 at 10:26 AM Post #45 of 146
Finally got my own pair of 700's with some holiday money. Hope to weigh in soon. Im really impressed so far! Much better than my PRO5's I had.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back