[REVIEW] Aurisonics ASG-2 & 2.5 (with many comparisons)
Dec 9, 2014 at 7:52 PM Post #5,446 of 7,021
when I paired them along with the CLAS-R, and the DUET, I found out what others were talking about, never thought in a  million years that my ASG-2s could ever sound sibiliant, not very much, but to where I noticed my 2s becoming fatigueging,

what are you useing as your source and or amp? could be the reason they are sounding sibiliant?

oh and I just use the stock tips that came with my 2s,

gosh how I love my 2s!

I'm using AK240 with stock ASG2 cable. The AK240 is a brighter sounding DAP and that might be contributing to the sibilance that I'm hearing

Dec 10, 2014 at 6:19 AM Post #5,448 of 7,021
If you still find the treble too much, get the comply wax guard version, that will completely eliminate all form of sibilance but it will eat away quite a substantial amount of treble energy.

Thanks again man. I will keep this in mind.

For some, ASG-2 could be sibilant. I found them pretty harsh at higher volumes. Sources galaxy S4, Apex Glacier, Hifimediy sabre->CC BH and also LG G3. The peak comes in at 8kHz for me instead of 10 kHZ (found out through sine sweeps).

Dec 10, 2014 at 6:25 AM Post #5,449 of 7,021
For some, ASG-2 could be sibilant. I found them pretty harsh at higher volumes. Sources galaxy S4, Apex Glacier, Hifimediy sabre->CC BH and also LG G3. The peak comes in at 8kHz for me instead of 10 kHZ (found out through sine sweeps).

Well, i enjoyed ASG 2 on Dx50 + pb2  the sibilance was at minimum.

After upgrading to X5, It is just very annoying every 2 days i give it a try and i can't like the combination at all, too much sibilance with most of the songs, may be because the X5 tend to be brighter.

Instead i use the FA-4E and its going amazing on both players.

Dec 10, 2014 at 6:51 AM Post #5,450 of 7,021

Well, i enjoyed ASG 2 on Dx50 + pb2  the sibilance was at minimum.

After upgrading to X5, It is just very annoying every 2 days i give it a try and i can't like the combination at all, too much sibilance with most of the songs, may be because the X5 tend to be brighter.

Instead i use the FA-4E and its going amazing on both players.

Glad to read that I am not the only one hearing an annoying level of sibilance on the ASG2 at times. But it's really only an issue if the recording is sibilant to begin with because the ASG2 seems to emphasize it. In contrast, on non-sibilant tracks, the ASG2 can be a real joy to listen to with zero harshness. Just listening to Tool's Aenima earlier today - and man, the ASG2s flat out rock like no other iem/headphone i've ever owned. Metal sounds mean, raw, and borderline scary - exactly how I want my metal to sound. So far, I've been using AK240, stock cable, bass port closed, and silicone tips. Hopefully, some comply tips arrive tomorrow for me to do a bit of tip rolling and see if that occasional sibilance can be tamed. 

Dec 10, 2014 at 10:17 PM Post #5,451 of 7,021
Here is some comparison with my Fitear 335SR and my Shure 846.
NB: I use the blue filter with shure olive on the 846, the bass port is colsed completely on the 2.5. The comparison was done with a Sony ZX1 as a source. I'm not an english native speaker so excuse my low level english
confused_face.gif

Resolution: those 3 are sensibly in the same league.

Detail retrieval: slightly better on 335SR and 846 because of the upper mids and trebles more emphasized.

bass: the 2.5 and 335SR share some similarities on the bass department. Thay have very full bass. The 2.5 has however more sub bass leading to more punch, and the 335SR have slightly more midbass. The 335SR bass might be a little bit more articulated with more speed. The 2.5 have a more natural sound in the bass department. I feel the bass quantity is time to time too much on the 2.5. The 846 will best those two in my opinion. The balance beetween sub bass and mid bass is perfect, the bass get never overhelmed, the punch and texture are wonderfull and the speed is better than 335SR or 2.5. The bass of the 846 feel so clean.

Mids: the mids presentation is very different on those 3. The 846 has a "in your face" mids presentation, with the upper mids emphasized. It has a very raw texture leading to a very exciting sound. The 2.5 has a very smooth mids, the warmest of the 3, with the best natural feeling of the 3 and the most relax presentation. The upper mids are slightly seted back. Great articulation too. The 335SR is in the warm side too, like the 2.5, they have a very lush presentation. The upper mids are slightly more than the 2.5 and less than the 846. They have the most neutral mids of the 3. The articulation is great too. The mids are top notch on those three IEM.

High: the 846 have the highs with the most energy of the 3. There is still this raw and grainy feeling in the sound with an amazing texture. But they are some kind of darkish highs. The 335SR high are very refined, very smooth with great texture too. The hamonics are very easy to catch and the extension is great for an IEM. Technically maybe the best highs I ever heard from an IEM with a perfect trnasition between the upper mid range and the highs. They are also no fatiguing. There is slightly less quantity in the 2.5. The extension is as great as the 335SR but they feel slightly thiner than the 335SR trebles. Everything is there but seted back a little bit in comparison to the 335SR. They tend to pop up a little bit as the upper mid is seted down. They are also very refined trebles with no fatigue at all.

Soundstage: The 846 has the smallest soundstage of the 3, but there is a great deepness in it, and the presentation is very coherent as a whole. I really love the soundstage of the 846 because of this. The 335SR has a more laidback presentation in the soundstage, it is wider than the 846. The deep is on part. The listener position is slightly higher (the sound comes slighltly from the bottom) when the sounds is right in front of you with the 846. The soundstage is great on the 335SR but between the two I prefer by a small margin the 846 soundstage. But the 2.5 soundstage will beat those two in every aspect. The 2.5 has this insanely huge soundstage for an IEM. It gets closer to an open headphone feeling than the 2 others. There is a lot of more volume and 3D feeling in the 2.5. As the 335SR it is more laidback than the 846.The coherency on the 2.5 soundstage is top notch. It's the best soundstage I've ever experiment in an IEM, period (and I tried a lot of top end IEM).

Conclusion: those are 3 outstanding IEMs. The 846 has this very exciting and engaging sound, with this raw texture pretty unique in an IEM and this "in your face" presentation, and a lot of punch. The 846 has I believe the best bass in an IEM. The 335SR is the most neutral of the 3 (but still in the warm side), it has a very lush and reffined sound. The most articulate sound, with a little emphasis in the mid bass. The trebles are outstanding. The 2.5 (the darkest of the 3) shine with this unmatched natural feeling of the sound and unmatched soundstage. They are a very relax sounding IEM while having a lot of energy in the bass section, the hybrid design do a wonderfull job.
Technically those 3 are to my ears in the same league with different flavors. The 2.5 being far cheaper than the 2 others, it is one of the greatest value high end IEMs around her.

Dec 11, 2014 at 1:49 AM Post #5,452 of 7,021
I have read in this thread that ASG-2 has treble spike. However, with my ASG-2 (bass port at minimum), there is no spike and very smooth. I've never heard any sibilance with this pair in the recording that is sibilant with SM64 v1. The sound signature is dark when compared to SM64 v1 and LCD-2 rev 2 with chord hugo as the source. Does the ASG-2 have a few variations since it was released? 

ASG-2 + female vocal track = pure bliss 
etysmile.gif

Dec 11, 2014 at 2:06 AM Post #5,453 of 7,021
Great review Marshal. I have always been very interested in the 335sr. It's amazing how the 2.5 being substantially lower in price got sneaked into the first class lounge league. That's pretty amazing.

Dec 11, 2014 at 6:36 AM Post #5,454 of 7,021
I'm happy to confirm reports that the comply TS500 tips really help to tame any sibilance issues with the ASG2s. Thanks Audiowood for your awesome recommendation. I'm also noticing a larger soundstage and a fuller sound compared to the stock silicon tips - just like how you described. Although I can't help but feel that a little air or resolution is lacking, I am really enjoying the ASG2 and ASG2.5 with the TS500. I won't be going back to the stock silicon tips after this.

Dec 11, 2014 at 11:57 AM Post #5,455 of 7,021
Try the SureSeal tips if you get a chance picked up one in HK and it works beautifully with the ASG-2 :)
Enhanced everything.
Also tried the Rockets and I love them. Gonna pick up a pair once I get the skrill

Dec 11, 2014 at 1:16 PM Post #5,456 of 7,021
  I'm happy to confirm reports that the comply TS500 tips really help to tame any sibilance issues with the ASG2s. Thanks Audiowood for your awesome recommendation. I'm also noticing a larger soundstage and a fuller sound compared to the stock silicon tips - just like how you described. Although I can't help but feel that a little air or resolution is lacking, I am really enjoying the ASG2 and ASG2.5 with the TS500. I won't be going back to the stock silicon tips after this.

Glad you like the TS500 comply foams. It really works for me as it bring it much closer to Roxanne type of tonality and sound stage. The Roxanne custom has about the most expansive soundstage I have heard on any IEM, could be due to custom vs universal fittings.. I dun know.

Dec 12, 2014 at 7:52 AM Post #5,457 of 7,021
I don;t know if this has been asked yet or not as i have looked through most of the thread to find a solution. Anyways, i recently bought a used ASG 1.2 from the classifieds,  i cant seem to get a a proper fit. I don't know if its because my ears are too small or i'm inserting them wrong.

Dec 12, 2014 at 8:28 AM Post #5,458 of 7,021
I don;t know if this has been asked yet or not as i have looked through most of the thread to find a solution. Anyways, i recently bought a used ASG 1.2 from the classifieds,  i cant seem to get a a proper fit. I don't know if its because my ears are too small or i'm inserting them wrong.

Although this sounds counter-intuitive if you have small ears, try using one of the larger silicone tips to get a seal outside your ear canal rather than attempting to force a tip inside. Works for me.

Dec 14, 2014 at 2:20 AM Post #5,459 of 7,021
I think the 2 and 2.5 are very different. I was not a big fan of the ASG2, too dark for my taste, but the 2.5 amaze me. It's been almost two weeks I use those, and they are incredibely good. They are among the best IEMs available in any price range.:etysmile:  

Today I listen ASG2.5 at a local store. By comparison, treble is kind of missing and bass is too much on my AS-2. Overall ASG-2.5 is better. If 2.5 and 2 are not significantly different, there should be some problems with my AS-2.

Dec 17, 2014 at 1:21 AM Post #5,460 of 7,021
Hey folks 

Just noticed that the material packed into the nozzles of my ASG 2.5 seem different between the two ear pieces: 

I know what you're probably thinking: too much ear wax in one ear LOL But I'm not sure because I've never had any issue with excessive ear wax in one ear, and I've only had these new ASG 2.5s for a couple of weeks. Unfortunately, I can't remember if I took notice of the nozzles when I first got them.

Just wondering if fellow 2.5 owners have noticed anything similar with their units?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back