[REVIEW] Aurisonics ASG-2 & 2.5 (with many comparisons)
Feb 15, 2014 at 10:30 AM Post #4,576 of 7,021
  I am desperately trying to make a decision about my next IEM.  I have had the Westone W3 and W4 and the Heir Audio 3a.i and 4a.i.  I listen to stuff like classic rock, blues rock, country, and metal and I love bass.  Right now I'm torn between many models including the Aurisonics ASG-2, InEar Stage Diver 3, Heir Audio 5 or the 4CIEM, Shure 535, one of the new Noble Audio products, or possibly the Unique Melody 3DD Universal. Ultimately, I'd like to have the Shure 846 or Sennheiser IE-800 but my budget is only around $600. Can I get some input please?

I think from the genres you are describing you may like the ASG2. 

Feb 15, 2014 at 12:48 PM Post #4,578 of 7,021

Thanks for that Eugguy.  I have read many good things about the Aurisonics.  I like the fact that I can adjust the bass.

The bass port doesn't quite work how I think you think it works :)

Opening the port increases bass bloom a lot more than it does impact. I prefer to think of it as a "warmness port" rather than a strict bass port, as it darkens the overall sound more than most bass-adjustment systems do.

There's a new revision of the ASG-2 on its way that should clear up most of the issues highlighted in this thread.

Feb 15, 2014 at 12:54 PM Post #4,579 of 7,021

Thanks for that Eugguy.  I have read many good things about the Aurisonics.  I like the fact that I can adjust the bass.

Hey Eric, keep in mind that most reviews I have read state that they leave the bass port fully closed or almost fully clsed as having it open makes it overwhelming.

Feb 15, 2014 at 1:13 PM Post #4,580 of 7,021
  Hey Eric, keep in mind that most reviews I have read state that they leave the bass port fully closed or almost fully clsed as having it open makes it overwhelming.

Gotcha.  I want something that is close or better than my Momentums.  I LOVE the sound of them.  I really want the Shure 846 but only have around $600 to spend.  I can't even find them used for less than $800.

Feb 15, 2014 at 8:01 PM Post #4,581 of 7,021
This "upgraded" asg2, will they have an upgrade program like with the asg1.x....i mean send in my pair and get upgrade, or do u just have to buy newer pair?

PS... thanks to everyone who recomended sennheiser biflange, they fit and sound great

Feb 15, 2014 at 8:47 PM Post #4,582 of 7,021

Do not expect much on the bass port. Based on the genres you are listening and the budget you are current have, I would suggest you to wrap the 3DD. If it fits your ears, it really a good iem. Too bad that it is too big for my ears so if I want to hear the real sound, i have to use my hands to push and hold the earpieces.

The ASG-2 is also a good one but it needs time to burn-in (may be brain burn-in lol), but again do not expect sub-woofer bass from this one. It has punchy mid-bass but lack of sub-bass. However, I do not think metal music needs much sub-bass. 

Feb 15, 2014 at 9:59 PM Post #4,583 of 7,021
I have a few questions for you experts on the asg-2.  I can get the current version for $399. But I was wondering if it would be better to wait for the new version to come out? Will we be able to upgrade? Is there something better for $400 USD then the asg-2?  From what I have read in this thread it seems like $399 is a great deal for this iem.

Feb 16, 2014 at 12:01 AM Post #4,585 of 7,021
Personally, I listen to a good bit of metal music with the G-2 and think it handles it quite well. With many forms of metal, you really need a good feel for the texture of the guitar tone-- which it does quite well, IMO. You get a slightly 'fun' sound that works well with most metal variants, and even with poorly recorded tracks (=most metal ever), it seems to handle it as well as possible.

With wall-of-sound mixes like a lot of Strapping Young Lad, you're able to distinguish some of the disparate parts better than you can on run-of-the-mill speakers and you don't lose the big picture of where everything is going. With music that tends towards sibilance or tinny high sounds signatures (looking at you, early Norwegian black metal), it's still going to sound like absolute crap, but Dale and company have done a pretty impressive job of tuning the G-2 to resist sibilance most of the time.

You'll still notice the massive compression in a lot of modern metal releases (the latest DEP, 'One Of Us Is The Killer' is an example that jumps to mind). No way around it really. I suppose you could say that the ASG-2 offers most metal in its best-case scenario for enjoyability. 

Listening to Meshuggah on these is just... awesome. Worth it just for that, IMO. 

HTH, anyway :wink:

Feb 16, 2014 at 9:06 AM Post #4,587 of 7,021
Hey Guys, long time since I posted on this thread haha, I See some of you are comparing the 846 to the G2 , I agree with Eugguy , they are Different Iem, My Pref is with the G2 , I got my friend to try the G2 , he was using the heir Audio 3.ai and they look on his face when i played safe and sound by capital cities for him... he was ready to junk his 3.ai for them hahaha , we both tried the 846s shortly after at Jaben with the bass filter , We both agreed we prefer the G2s sound better, they both have thier pros and cons , the G-2 does somthings better and other worse then the 846, but we both agreed it definitely was not worth the S$1200-SGD price tag (1200 SGD in USD is about $953.29 USD and the G-2s were only S$750-SGD =$595.81-USD) 

But in anycase Here is an update on my G2s I got myself a precision mini paint airbrush, and after sufficiently covering all the openings on the G2 with epoxy I went to work with the mixture , and got a nice shiny black finish on the G2s ! 

They arnt finished yet , i still have some "Fine" cutting to do on the Carbon Fiber Vinyl, its got a great texture too and , looks like a custom job ! 

Feb 16, 2014 at 7:34 PM Post #4,588 of 7,021
  Hey Guys, long time since I posted on this thread haha, I See some of you are comparing the 846 to the G2 , I agree with Eugguy , they are Different Iem, My Pref is with the G2 , I got my friend to try the G2 , he was using the heir Audio 3.ai and they look on his face when i played safe and sound by capital cities for him... he was ready to junk his 3.ai for them hahaha , we both tried the 846s shortly after at Jaben with the bass filter , We both agreed we prefer the G2s sound better, they both have thier pros and cons , the G-2 does somthings better and other worse then the 846, but we both agreed it definitely was not worth the S$1200-SGD price tag (1200 SGD in USD is about $953.29 USD and the G-2s were only S$750-SGD =$595.81-USD) 

But in anycase Here is an update on my G2s I got myself a precision mini paint airbrush, and after sufficiently covering all the openings on the G2 with epoxy I went to work with the mixture , and got a nice shiny black finish on the G2s ! 

They arnt finished yet , i still have some "Fine" cutting to do on the Carbon Fiber Vinyl, its got a great texture too and , looks like a custom job ! 

Woo! Hope it turns out great!

Feb 16, 2014 at 9:02 PM Post #4,589 of 7,021
they Turned out great !!!!!! Holy Balls ! they Look Good ! Gonna do a weather proof clear coat later when i get back home , to make it fit for EDC 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back