[REVIEW] Aurisonics AS-2's - Like being a kid in a candy store with a bag full of quarters
Jul 26, 2012 at 1:17 AM Post #46 of 289
I'd so get Gold plates. Never knew the exact price before, It's between gold or Black Rhodium for ASG-2's when I get a set.
Quote:
Thanks for the info!

I'm wondering, who's paying 500 bucks for 24k gold- Mr. T?!?
Hopefully they'll do basic art prints on their plates for reasonable prices.

Jul 26, 2012 at 2:33 PM Post #48 of 289
I emailed last night and got a response this morning from Andy.  All plateless AS-2 come only in the frosted version .  In order for anyone to get the clear model, a plate is a mandatory part of that combination.  And, apparently, the head-fi group buy notice will be out in a few days. 

Cheers.

Jul 26, 2012 at 2:38 PM Post #49 of 289
Quote:
I'd so get Gold plates. Never knew the exact price before, It's between gold or Black Rhodium for ASG-2's when I get a set.

Let me get this straight...you're going to add on a $600 plate covering for an IEM costing $200-$300 (just guessing here)?

Cray-zee, I tell ya. 
wink_face.gif

Jul 26, 2012 at 2:50 PM Post #50 of 289
Quote:
Let me get this straight...you're going to add on a $600 plate covering for an IEM costing $200-$300 (just guessing here)?

Cray-zee, I tell ya. 
wink_face.gif

LOL...  No, the IEM costs 800 dollars (AS-2), but he's going to put a 600 dollar plate covering on it :p

Jul 26, 2012 at 3:10 PM Post #52 of 289
Quote:
oops!

I thought I read that he was going to get the ASG-2 with the upgraded plates.

I should start wearing my reading glasses. 

Even the ASG-2 won't be 200-300...  The ASG-1 already costs 300...  I'm sure the 2 will be much more expensive :p 

Jul 26, 2012 at 3:25 PM Post #53 of 289
Quote:

Even the ASG-2 won't be 200-300...  The ASG-1 already costs 300...  I'm sure the 2 will be much more expensive :p 

I honestly don't get it.  I used to think Heir Audio had the most expensive prices (and they did and it was justified).  But now here are upgrades that nearly cost the price of product itself.  Also, I wish they'd allow polishing without having to purchase another option.  Gahh...  All my comments have been so negative recently...  I can't help myself.

I'm fully confident the fidelity of the product will be amazing.  

Jul 26, 2012 at 4:38 PM Post #54 of 289
Quote:

I honestly don't get it.  I used to think Heir Audio had the most expensive prices (and they did and it was justified).  But now here are upgrades that nearly cost the price of product itself.  Also, I wish they'd allow polishing without having to purchase another option.  Gahh...  All my comments have been so negative recently...  I can't help myself.

Seriously, I'm with you buddy (esp. negative comments lately).  I was really excited for this product, but some of these charges are ridiculous.  $800 is already a lot for an IEM (but can be justified if it sounds great), but charging a $100 for a "polished" shell rubs me the wrong way... unless there's something I dont understand, it's JUST a clear shell! (or alternatively, give us the option of having a clear shell free of charge like every other IEM company)

edit: and on top of that, in order to be allowed to pay $100 for a clear shell, one must also buy a plate ranging from the $300-600 range 
eek.gif

confused_face(1).gif

Jul 26, 2012 at 5:20 PM Post #55 of 289
Quote:

Take a look at the options you're buying... 

Quote:
We're still in the process of updating our online information regarding the new product - it's easier at this point to follow up with each interested customer via email - that way we can ensure that people are finding out the right information.

With that being said, here is your complete and comprehensive list about all the options available for the AS-2.

All AS-2 orders come with a choice of Black or Clear cables. There's no difference in price, you just choose which you would like at the time of ordering.
- The basic AS-2 comes in the Classic Frosted finish - like your ASG-1 - and that is $799
- The first customization is in polishing the body for $100 - this gives a glassy look.
- Once you have a polished body you can then choose from a growing list of lid plating options. We currently provide a Chrome [(chromed platinum if I remember correctly)] lid for $400, 24k Gold for $500 and Black Rhodium for $600. 
- we are working on a variety of other lid options and may be able to discuss other specific requests.

All AS-2 come with the tunable Bass port. And we can add the ambient port for an additional $100. As a drummer myself I can see the appeal of not being fully isolated to be able to maintain a comfortable experience behind the kit. So we can make that a part of your order as well.

You do have polishing, it's 100 dollars, not half the price of the product.  Now, when you say half the price of the product, think about what you're paying for.  Chrome...  I remember back when people asked about the silver chrome that was on the Aurisonics website...  That was platinum if I remember correctly.  Don't expect to pay cheap for a platinum plating.  24k Gold...  Again, this is real gold, none of the cheap stuff that creates green streaks :p  You want gold, you'll have to pay for it.  Black Rhodium is the most rare on this list...  Again, you want this exotic material, you'll have to cough up the cash to get the exotic material. 

Jul 26, 2012 at 5:21 PM Post #56 of 289
Quote:
Seriously, I'm with you buddy (esp. negative comments lately).  I was really excited for this product, but some of these charges are ridiculous.  $800 is already a lot for an IEM (but can be justified if it sounds great), but charging a $100 for a "polished" shell rubs me the wrong way... unless there's something I dont understand, it's JUST a clear shell! (or alternatively, give us the option of having a clear shell free of charge like every other IEM company)

edit: and on top of that, in order to be allowed to pay $100 for a clear shell, one must also buy a plate ranging from the $300-600 range 
eek.gif

confused_face(1).gif

The shell comes translucent (frost) I think...  I could be wrong though. 

Jul 26, 2012 at 5:53 PM Post #57 of 289
You might be right and I should be more measured when posting- especially because Aurisonics hasn't even made an official announcement.

My impression was that their frost was sort a blurry-opaque shell.  All I and I think many others wil want are the standard options for shell colors + artwork for a reasonable price.  I think the ones wanting the exotic materials are in the niche market, and most of us just want to be able to pay an additional reasonable price for the regular aesthetic IEM options, which I really hope will be made available.  Otherwise, I'll have to get the $800 basic frost option then get it reshelled with another IEM company for the shell color and artwork I want, which will be a huge and unnecessary pain in the... (I could care less about adding faceplates- in fact, I probably don't even want them  because it seems like they'll make the whole IEMs protrude a bit more from the ears)

Anyways I'll stop making noise until more developments come forward.
popcorn.gif

Jul 26, 2012 at 6:09 PM Post #58 of 289
Quote:
You might be right and I should be more measured when posting- especially because Aurisonics hasn't even made an official announcement.

My impression was that their frost was sort a blurry-opaque shell.  All I and I think many others wil want are the standard options for shell colors + artwork for a reasonable price.  I think the ones wanting the exotic materials are in the niche market, and most of us just want to be able to pay an additional reasonable price for the regular aesthetic IEM options, which I really hope will be made available.  Otherwise, I'll have to get the $800 basic frost option then get it reshelled with another IEM company for the shell color and artwork I want, which will be a huge and unnecessary pain in the... (I could care less about adding faceplates- in fact, I probably don't even want them  because it seems like they'll make the whole IEMs protrude a bit more from the ears)

Anyways I'll stop making noise until more developments come forward.
popcorn.gif

Detailed pictures of the frost covered IEM can be found in this review thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/611190/review-aurisonics-as-1b-ver1-2-custom-fit-dynamic-driver-in-ear-stage-monitor

From what I can tell, it is more opaque than translucent.  In other words, it has a relatively high opacity.

Sadly when compared to the polished shell (http://www.head-fi.org/t/606471/aurisonics-impressions-reviews-discussions-thread/1560), the aesthetic qualities of the former pale in comparison.  
I am not insulting the quality of the product rather the brash prices of their upgrades.  I do not mind paying a premium for superb craftsmanship but I have my limits.  

But I still don't understand why plates must be required in order to then pay extra for a polished shell.  Sigh.

I am now going to stop with these bleak views on the product until further news comes out.  After all, if you're a candy store, you're sure not to be depressed.

Jul 26, 2012 at 6:34 PM Post #59 of 289
Quote:

Take a look at the options you're buying... 

You do have polishing, it's 100 dollars, not half the price of the product.  Now, when you say half the price of the product, think about what you're paying for.  Chrome...  I remember back when people asked about the silver chrome that was on the Aurisonics website...  That was platinum if I remember correctly.  Don't expect to pay cheap for a platinum plating.  24k Gold...  Again, this is real gold, none of the cheap stuff that creates green streaks :p  You want gold, you'll have to pay for it.  Black Rhodium is the most rare on this list...  Again, you want this exotic material, you'll have to cough up the cash to get the exotic material. 

Damn...

Too bad they don't offer bath tile blue.  Literally, a-blue-bath-tile for a few bucks and then allow for the clear CIEMs.

Chrome:  $400 (the least expensive way to get a pair clear); AS-2:  $800.  My math could be wrong (product of California public schools), but I'm reasonably confident that 400 is pretty close to half of 800.

I really don't know why they would offer just a "polishing" for $100.  I guess someone might order one of the plates available and opt to leave it frosted?  Seems silly to me, but we all have different tastes. 

Jul 26, 2012 at 6:41 PM Post #60 of 289
Quote:

Detailed pictures of the frost covered IEM can be found in this review thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/611190/review-aurisonics-as-1b-ver1-2-custom-fit-dynamic-driver-in-ear-stage-monitor

From what I can tell, it is more opaque than translucent.  In other words, it has a relatively high opacity.

Sadly when compared to the polished shell (http://www.head-fi.org/t/606471/aurisonics-impressions-reviews-discussions-thread/1560), the aesthetic qualities of the former pale in comparison.  
I am not insulting the quality of the product rather the brash prices of their upgrades.  I do not mind paying a premium for superb craftsmanship but I have my limits.  

But I still don't understand why plates must be required in order to then pay extra for a polished shell.  Sigh.

I am now going to stop with these bleak views on the product until further news comes out.  After all, if you're a candy store, you're sure not to be depressed.

In the emial I received, I was told the company doesn't want the back of the CIEM to be clear so as to avoid people being able to look into them from that angle. 

It might be a patent thing or something, I don't know. 

Struck me as a bit odd, but hey, it's not my company.  I'm sure they have a good reason for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back