[REVIEW] Aurisonics AS-2's - Like being a kid in a candy store with a bag full of quarters
Jul 20, 2012 at 1:18 AM Post #31 of 289
Dynamic driver is tuned a bit more flat on the AS-2's as far as I'm aware. but anyways, no, I have not owned them. I do however have a pair of AS-1's on order. Gonna look great. Should arrive at the end of the month
Quote:
Nice review!

Did you ever have the AS-1 or ASG-1? I can't really tell from the review. If so, do you feel they changed the tuning or implementation of the dynamic driver at all? Or did they just put the BA over the original sound of the AS-1/ASG-1 to achieve the new sound?

Jul 20, 2012 at 4:24 PM Post #32 of 289
I should be headed up to Aurisonics HQ sometime by the end of the month.
I'll try to get as good of a comparison i can get of the UM Merlin's I own and these AS-2's.
Both being the same price and hybrid ciem, just with Merlin's having two more BA drivers, it should be Intresting to see.

Jul 21, 2012 at 12:54 AM Post #33 of 289
How are the drivers tuned? Does the huge dynamic driver cover the whole spectrum and then they put the tweets to augment the highs?

Or is the dynamic tuned for the lows and mids while the BAs cover the highs?

Jul 21, 2012 at 1:17 AM Post #34 of 289
All information points to it being the first setup you described
Quote:
How are the drivers tuned? Does the huge dynamic driver cover the whole spectrum and then they put the tweets to augment the highs?

Or is the dynamic tuned for the lows and mids while the BAs cover the highs?

Jul 22, 2012 at 11:21 AM Post #38 of 289
Mine have an ambient port on them. You can talk to Dale about having that added to your set as well if you decide to buy them.
Quote:
Are these phones vented?

Jul 24, 2012 at 10:48 AM Post #39 of 289
That's something you should ask Dale. I don't wanna disclose prices much more as it seems to have a negative outlook on a great product that's absolutely beautiful. I've worked it out with Dale to pay back some of the costs for upgrading my chrome plates like he did (and plan to pay it back completely in the near future), so I am not even 100% sure about the cost of the black and red aesthetics myself.
Quote:
How much did the black and red aesthetic option add to the cost of your AS-1s?

I should be receiving the AS-1's in about two weeks or so, I'll be burning them in partially by listening and partially by letting them run. I wanna get them burned in quickly so I can add to my review how they compare to the already well known AS-1 series. 

EDIT: Also wanted to say that the Black and Red aesthetics is quite involved. It's hand painted (AFAIK) and other things are done to them. You'll get the full effect when I get them photographed by my photography major friend at college.

Jul 24, 2012 at 1:14 PM Post #40 of 289
I've spoken to Dale once or twice, and he seems like a really nice guy; very helpful and answered all my questions.

Having said that, as a potential buyer, it sure would be nice if he updated his webpage to indicate the prices of the various options that will be available.  I do, however, vaguely recall him telling me the "basic" option to get the CIEM clear would be the chrome.  And if that's a $400 upcharge, irregardless of how you break down that $400, frost it just may have to be (for me at least).  But then frost seems a bit ugly for a CIEM.  And so on...   

Jul 24, 2012 at 1:36 PM Post #41 of 289
It may be more expensive to do it at a later point, but you can always have either one of those aesthetic options added later on. And honestly, it's not necessary to the function of the AS-2's. Yea, the price may not hit the mark for everyone, but it's beautiful work that's worth it to artists, which are the main focus of this product. Trust when I say you won't regret the money spent on aesthetics if you get them. I get comments every time I wear my AS-2's in public. 
Quote:
I've spoken to Dale once or twice, and he seems like a really nice guy; very helpful and answered all my questions.

Having said that, as a potential buyer, it sure would be nice if he updated his webpage to indicate the prices of the various options that will be available.  I do, however, vaguely recall him telling me the "basic" option to get the CIEM clear would be the chrome.  And if that's a $400 upcharge, irregardless of how you break down that $400, frost it just may have to be (for me at least).  But then frost seems a bit ugly for a CIEM.  And so on...   

EDIT: I can't say what they say to me when they notice my AS-2's, mainly because I never pause the music and take them out quick enough to hear them....or I'm too much in my own world to care. 

Jul 25, 2012 at 8:23 PM Post #42 of 289
Quote:

I just emailed Aurisonics asking the same information and this was Andy Rowley, their Custom Products Coordinator's response:

We're still in the process of updating our online information regarding the new product - it's easier at this point to follow up with each interested customer via email - that way we can ensure that people are finding out the right information.

With that being said, here is your complete and comprehensive list about all the options available for the AS-2.

All AS-2 orders come with a choice of Black or Clear cables. There's no difference in price, you just choose which you would like at the time of ordering.
- The basic AS-2 comes in the Classic Frosted finish - like your ASG-1 - and that is $799
- The first customization is in polishing the body for $100 - this gives a glassy look.
- Once you have a polished body you can then choose from a growing list of lid plating options. We currently provide a Chrome lid for $400, 24k Gold for $500 and Black Rhodium for $600. 
- we are working on a variety of other lid options and may be able to discuss other specific requests.

All AS-2 come with the tunable Bass port. And we can add the ambient port for an additional $100. As a drummer myself I can see the appeal of not being fully isolated to be able to maintain a comfortable experience behind the kit. So we can make that a part of your order as well.

Hopefully he won't mind me posting this information, and it may change at a later date.

Jul 26, 2012 at 12:08 AM Post #44 of 289
I just emailed Aurisonics asking the same information and this was Andy Rowley, their Custom Products Coordinator's response:

Hopefully he won't mind me posting this information, and it may change at a later date.

Thanks for the info. There is a slight difference with the response here as opposed to what was related to me. I was told that you have to get a plate in order to get the clear ciem. It would be nice if clear by itself is an option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back