[Review] Audio Technica CK100 - TitaniYUM~!
Jan 7, 2010 at 5:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 166

shigzeo

The Hiss King
Cheesy title and naturally occurring spelling mistakes aside, this earphone is THE ONE. While I prefer to use customs, the CK100 does everything as closely as I can imagine to customs.

What I mean is that it is: comfortable, strong, well-built, has a !snap! cable, is light, and sounds good. In fact, other than the sound (which good customs never do worse than universals), the CK100 is better in every way to every custom on the planet (likely). It simply is the most amazingly built earphone I have ever seen.

Combine that with great fit and comfort, and I have to say that It is a favourite. I put it above Westone UM3X and EarSonics SM2, both of which are amazing earphones.

The sound is perhaps too tailored for some listeners, but I am totally sold. The bass is light by about 2 decibels and mids quite flat. But where this earphone tears from conformity is its elevated high mid/lower treble. At first, it was hard to understand. After a little time, however, I realised how good it is. All my music gains a 'live' feel, or in a less effective adjective: 'warbly'. Shimmer, sheen, shine. Speed, decay, attack: all very good. But, this earphone is probably best for real instruments and with vocals.

Audio Technica's choice to have 2 tweeter/mids versus bass modules made me laugh at first, but after a few weeks, I 'get' it.

Here is the FULL REVIEW with pictures of the Audio Technica CK100.

Jan 7, 2010 at 6:47 AM Post #3 of 166
I knew i did a big mistake. This review just reminded me of my regret to sell the CK100. Now only my titanium Frog accompany me. Comprehensive review, as usual.

*G-Shock Frogman

Jan 7, 2010 at 8:02 AM Post #5 of 166
Thanks for the kind words. IMO, this is THE earphone, but at the same time, it is a very tailored sound. So, if you crave the traditional bass emphasis or 'flat' presentation, the CK100 may be a growing pain. However, I have nothing at all to fault with this amazing earphone.

Jan 7, 2010 at 8:51 AM Post #6 of 166
I've been waiting for this since you first posted about getting them in the old CK100 thread. Thanks for the review. Any chance of you trying the e-Q7 anytime soon?
tongue.gif
. I'm still not convinced the Ck100 is a true upgrade from the Ck10.

Jan 7, 2010 at 9:04 AM Post #7 of 166
Great review shigzeo!
I personally think that CK100 is the best universal around, it just suits my taste perfectly. It's also extremely non-fatiguing, which I find even more so than my ES3X. Despite that, I think CK100 is somewhat coloured, especially when it comes to guitar; it isn't as rich and thick as guitars are supposed to sound. Ck100 isn't suitable for rock, it's perhaps too transparent and airy that it makes rock very unengaging, and bands like X Japan or AC/DC tend sound very dry.

Overall though, CK100 is nothing short of stellar, but I agree it does possess the love it or hate it sound signature.

Jan 7, 2010 at 9:23 AM Post #8 of 166
Joker - I would agree that the CK100 isn't a true 'upgrade' in terms of sound to the CK10. It is a bit richer, but the CK10 is the smooth, do everything king. If the CK100 is the ultimate, the CK10 is the same, minus the CK100's upgraded build quality. I think the two represent the best of the best in universal designs. If the CK10 had the same excellent plug and anchoring, it would easily be the JH13Pro (do it all) of the universal world. The CK100, like the FitEar 333, is more of a spice or as I said, 'atmosphere' earphone.

But, it is simply unparalleled for build quality.

Jan 7, 2010 at 9:28 AM Post #9 of 166
excellent review as always shigzeo.i have a question,is the highs sharp like the fx500 or fatiguing over time?

Jan 7, 2010 at 9:32 AM Post #10 of 166
The highs are NOT fatiguing, however, they are 'hot' in their lower registers. The CK100 is typical as an armature - it is fast and full of attack, but it doesn't have nearly the tangible resolution of earphones like the FX500.

Still, I stand by my conclusion that it is THE high end earphone on the market today. Unfortunately, apart from Seyo, I haven't found good prices.

Jan 7, 2010 at 9:38 AM Post #11 of 166
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The highs are NOT fatiguing, however, they are 'hot' in their lower registers. The CK100 is typical as an armature - it is fast and full of attack, but it doesn't have nearly the tangible resolution of earphones like the FX500.

Still, I stand by my conclusion that it is THE high end earphone on the market today. Unfortunately, apart from Seyo, I haven't found good prices.

this is why i am interested in them,my ie8 and fx500 are too much sometimes for trance and house in the bass department and my k701 is very slow for this type of music.is the soundstage as big as the ie8 or even the fx500?thx for your answer.

Jan 7, 2010 at 9:39 AM Post #12 of 166
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Joker - I would agree that the CK100 isn't a true 'upgrade' in terms of sound to the CK10. It is a bit richer, but the CK10 is the smooth, do everything king. If the CK100 is the ultimate, the CK10 is the same, minus the CK100's upgraded build quality. I think the two represent the best of the best in universal designs. If the CK10 had the same excellent plug and anchoring, it would easily be the JH13Pro (do it all) of the universal world. The CK100, like the FitEar 333, is more of a spice or as I said, 'atmosphere' earphone.

But, it is simply unparalleled for build quality.

Thanks, that's a great way of putting it. I've recently moved back to the CK10 after a temporary infatuation with the RE252 and spending significant amounts of time with the TF10 and PFE only to realize that the Technicas are still the set for me. Build quality may not be as good as the Ck100 but it is still several steps above the competition. I'm tempted to try the Ck100s just to see how an earphone should really be built though. Probably not a good enough reason
redface.gif

Bookmarked the review for future convincing
wink_face.gif

Jan 7, 2010 at 9:44 AM Post #13 of 166
Haha! As you said, the CK10 is already several steps above the competition: they are the only ones (prior to the CK100) which I felt satisfied would not break after excessive bicycle riding in minus 20 to plus 30 degrees. And, they held up with no problems at all. Truly, the CK10 are already way better than the competition. The CK100 are another step up again.

I wish other manufacturers would start to use high quality plastics (thick walls), and good cables like the CK10. There is no reason to spend more than 300$ and have to treat it as if it were made for pennies.

Jan 7, 2010 at 9:47 AM Post #14 of 166
Quote:

Originally Posted by midoo1990 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
this is why i am interested in them,my ie8 and fx500 are too much sometimes for trance and house in the bass department and my k701 is very slow for this type of music.is the soundstage as big as the ie8 or even the fx500?thx for your answer.

I never thought the soundstage of IE8 was so big like what everyone keeps raving about around here.
Ck100 soundstage is about the same as IE8 in terms of width, but it is has a much better sense of depth and height. Soundstage wise I find CK100 better than IE8 and FX500.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back