Review: Audinst HUD-mx1 USB DAC/amp
Sep 15, 2010 at 9:34 AM Post #46 of 86

Quote:
project86, if you don't mind could you give a quick impression of the MX1's headphone amp through your Grado SR-325 compared to the M-Stage? Grados don't need much power and are fairly easy to drive so I'm wondering if the differences are more minimal.

The mx-1 is quite good with Grados. As you said, they are not extremely difficult to drive. You won't get the exact same performance of a higher end amp, but the differences are not as large as they would be with say some Sennheiser HD800s or other difficult cans.

Adding the M-Stage with the Grados does in fact give you a boost, but it is of the variety where you have to specifically sit and listen for it, and then it becomes apparent after a while. It's not night and day. As you move up the Grado line and their resovling abilities improve, then the differences are a bit bigger. But at the 325 level, they are fairly small.

Hope this helps.

Sep 17, 2010 at 1:57 AM Post #47 of 86
Thanks for your insight. I'll have to try the MX1 some day, I have the M-Stage right now but I haven't had a chance to listen to it yet because my current condition.

For anyone who is wondering, the MX1 is now on ebay again with plenty of stock but won't be shipping until the 24th
http://cgi.ebay.ca/Audinst-HUD-mx1-Hi-Fi-USB-Audio-DAC-/170540159147?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27b4fc50ab

Sep 17, 2010 at 10:59 AM Post #48 of 86

Quote:
Thanks for your insight. I'll have to try the MX1 some day, I have the M-Stage right now but I haven't had a chance to listen to it yet because my current condition.

For anyone who is wondering, the MX1 is now on ebay again with plenty of stock but won't be shipping until the 24th
http://cgi.ebay.ca/Audinst-HUD-mx1-Hi-Fi-USB-Audio-DAC-/170540159147?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27b4fc50ab

Actually out of curiosity I just bought one and paid immediately using credit card via paypal, sent a message to them asking if somehow they would be able to ship it on Friday (it was around 4.30pm on Friday the 18th and post offices close at 6pm in Korea I believe), and they replied saying that they might be able to ship it today (Saturday the 19th).

Sep 18, 2010 at 12:12 AM Post #50 of 86
I ordered mine early in the morning on the 17th, and just got a email a few minutes ago indicating that mine was shipped out! Can't wait for it to get here. 
o2smile.gif

Sep 18, 2010 at 1:21 AM Post #51 of 86
I use this in part as my transportable rig as that's around 50% of my listening. With my RE-Zero or Livewires they sound great still. The only thing I miss about the uDAC that these don't have is the even smaller size of the uDAC although the audinst isn't exactly huge in size.

Oct 15, 2010 at 8:41 PM Post #57 of 86
I'm in Sydney, Australia. I ordered mine on Friday 17 September, was already around 4.30pm in Korea so they shipped it the next day (Saturday 18 September), and I received it on Tuesday 21 September. That's pretty quick actually.

Nov 1, 2010 at 6:06 AM Post #59 of 86
I was testing this Audinst MX1 with the KSC75 and my Westone 2, the MX1 adds a lot of bass to those two. There's a lot of bass presence with the KSC75, makes a lot of songs sound "heavy". Any bass complains I had with the Westone 2 disappeared completely with the MX1. The MX1 seems to add a lot of bass to low impedance cans in general but it works well with grados on bowls, not adding too much.

Nov 7, 2010 at 3:19 AM Post #60 of 86

Quote:
The mx-1 is quite good with Grados. As you said, they are not extremely difficult to drive. You won't get the exact same performance of a higher end amp, but the differences are not as large as they would be with say some Sennheiser HD800s or other difficult cans.

Adding the M-Stage with the Grados does in fact give you a boost, but it is of the variety where you have to specifically sit and listen for it, and then it becomes apparent after a while. It's not night and day. As you move up the Grado line and their resovling abilities improve, then the differences are a bit bigger. But at the 325 level, they are fairly small.

Hope this helps.

Are these differences any more significant with the HF2 and ed8, and if the M-Stage is modded?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back