Review : AUDINST HUD-MX1 DAC/amp - a promising newcomer (compared to Audio-gd FUN, AMB Gamma2)
Apr 28, 2010 at 3:53 PM Post #46 of 418
how this one in comparsion with uDac and audiotrak prodigy hd2??
I got k271 phones so interested in a dac not less then hd2.
BTW as i see there's free international shipping?

Apr 30, 2010 at 1:42 AM Post #47 of 418
Very nice review indeed,
I've got some personal questions , please, help me :

1. How is AUDINST compared with E-mu USB 0404 in general SQ and dac+amp headphone section particularly ? Thy price range is similar..

2. I’m gona use Beyerdynamic DT 880 PRO. How do they sound directly from AUDINST ?

3. Some guys say, DT 880 PRO sound good only from tube amps. They say, tranzistors make them harsh on highs, unbalanced and too bussy.. Is this rumour true ?

Apr 30, 2010 at 11:37 AM Post #49 of 418
Quote:

Originally Posted by TLN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how this one in comparsion with uDac and audiotrak prodigy hd2??
I got k271 phones so interested in a dac not less then hd2.
BTW as i see there's free international shipping?

Although I haven't written anything very specific about HUD-MX1 vs uDAC or HD2, I did mentioned a few observations on the subject.
In a nutshell: Audinst is superior to them on every category. And yes - I would call it a worthwhile upgrade.

Apr 30, 2010 at 11:53 AM Post #50 of 418
Quote:

Originally Posted by AlexRoma /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very nice review indeed,
I've got some personal questions , please, help me :

1. How is AUDINST compared with E-mu USB 0404 in general SQ and dac+amp headphone section particularly ? Thy price range is similar..

2. I’m gona use Beyerdynamic DT 880 PRO. How do they sound directly from AUDINST ?

3. Some guys say, DT 880 PRO sound good only from tube amps. They say, tranzistors make them harsh on highs, unbalanced and too bussy.. Is this rumour true ?

1. I've owned EMU 0404USB some 3-4 years ago but I didn't like it much and sold it after a few months. I didn't find it a big enough improvement over my former M-Audio Audiophile soundcard.
My present soundcard, Audiotrak HD2, is better in my mind than both (EMU and M-Audio).
Audinst is a significant step up from HD2 (even USB powered), hence I'd rate it much higher than EMU 0404USB.

2. I have no idea how Beyers sound out of Audinst and just barely how they sound in general. I'm not a fan of the company and never showed any particular interest in their headphones.

3. Again, I have no idea.

Audinst HUD-MX1 is a very good DAC/amp for the money and really neutral in sound signature, so rather friendly with a wide variety of headphones.
For that matter I can't really see anybody going wrong with it for the price.

May 1, 2010 at 6:02 AM Post #51 of 418
i only wish this had toslink input and it would be perfect, erghh nothing is.....

has anyone comparded this sound to a hiface or teralink x 2, or drdac2 hd or xd
and i am guessing the usb on this sounds much better than dac magic

May 2, 2010 at 12:14 AM Post #52 of 418
Quote:

Originally Posted by tennisplyr3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Most interesting... What if we were to throw in an HDP into there? I'm looking to drive RE0 (in ear headphones; 64 ohm) as well as HD650 (300 ohm). Would the HD650 sound better through the Audinst than through a Pico / Predator / D4 / Arrow?

Which one has the most upgrade potential? It seems that as you said, the amplifier is outperformed by the DAC in those units.

imo, i dont think any of those would properly drive the hd650, if i were you i would get a larger portable to drive your hd650 , lisa, sr71a, or iqubev2(proabbly your best bet with built in dac, but i dont know if its dac is better then the pico dac, if your using iem's, then id say all of those are probably good. i have and use the predator and lisa. ill bet the arrow and d4 have a better dac than the predator, and im sure the pico does, good luck trying to find predator specs, i have tried.
i am interested to hear how the arrow sounds, good luck

cheers

May 2, 2010 at 12:26 AM Post #53 of 418
anyone compared the prodigy cube to the the audinst hud mx1 which uses a wolfson 8740 and the cube which uses a wolfson 8776,, whats the diff between these two? which is better .

thanks

May 2, 2010 at 7:16 PM Post #55 of 418
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil' Knight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When you use this one as a DAC, does the volume pot still work?

Yes it does.
It can only work as headphone amp or preamp. The volume control cannot be bypassed.

May 3, 2010 at 3:28 PM Post #56 of 418
I have just received my HUD-MX1 this morning and all I have to say is.... Wow!

That is a world of difference to what I am used to! So much detail! The music literally comes to life.
smily_headphones1.gif

Just curious... Would it benefit from burn-in?

May 3, 2010 at 7:39 PM Post #58 of 418
Quote:

Originally Posted by burgunder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What was your source before?

Yeah, that was what I was thinking...after all, all DACs are significantly better than a computer's stock line-out. About burn-in, I suppose there might be some effect on the circuitry - many people have reported changes in DACs and amps. How much the sound changes is fairly unpredictable, though.

May 3, 2010 at 9:44 PM Post #59 of 418
Quote:

Originally Posted by Icewyng /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have just received my HUD-MX1 this morning and all I have to say is.... Wow!

That is a world of difference to what I am used to! So much detail! The music literally comes to life.
smily_headphones1.gif

Just curious... Would it benefit from burn-in?

Enjoy your new DAC!

Burn in doesn't make big differences.
However I'm quite sure that the sound does improve after a few days.
I noticed most changes in the soundstage department and a bit in the highs.

May 3, 2010 at 11:48 PM Post #60 of 418
Quote:

Originally Posted by burgunder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What was your source before?

It was my onboard audio... I knew it would make a good difference but never that much of one.
smily_headphones1.gif

I am glad I bought it. Now, what would you recommend for Headphones to match it with? I like a detailed, neutral sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back