Review and Impressions - Fischer Audio Eterna Rev2
Aug 3, 2010 at 8:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

swbf2cheater

Headphoneus Supremus

I grow tired of neutral sounding audio, I recently got rid of my entire stock of expensive headphones which were mostly composed of neutral sets.  Im in search of something fun, engaging, colored and very easily driven.  I found just that in the Eterna Rev1 which i loved so much, but had a gripe with its bass being too thick for my tastes, so I purchased the Rev2 which was said to have fixed the bass hump in the mid range.  If you are a bass junky, get the rev1 if you can, its worth the extra $.  If not, and you want a slightly more laid back experience, rev2 is for you.

I expected some amazing things out of the eterna when I first got it, I really expected a nice wide and tall stage.  Unfortunately the Eternas are not that large in the staging area, but are very immersing.  What does that mean?  Well, the sound has excellent depth, it is not flat sounding, its as if there is some good layering going on in front of you.  Its stage is both wide and tall but not nearly as wide as other buds ive used.  So if you are looking for massive staging, look elsewhere.  If you want good immersion, these are for you.

What im really upset over are their design.  They just dont fit in your ears well unless you wrap them around the back of your ear, then they fit well into your ear.  Can you use them normally?  sure, but the fit isnt as good as it should be.  It comes with three different tips, a double flange, a medium and a very small one.  I found the small one to be the best overall sounding, but lacking the most bass.  Bass is still present, clean and powerful, but dont expect super bass.  It's got VERY clean bass with a good low end kick.  Mids and highs are excellent.  There is absolutely no slurring what so ever ( like the ad700 and grado have issues with )

They are incredibly easy to drive, 18 ohms i believe, so out of my sansa fuze they are very well amped.  Driven to deafening levels, punchy and good kick and forwardness at 60% volume.  This is a blessing since I also got rid of my portable amps and went back to easily driven headphones.  You might need something like a fiio e5 if you are using an ipod or something with low output to get good kick out the rev2.  If you have a sansa brand mp3 player, dont worry, you wont really need an amp to get great levels out of it.

The Eterna are able to adapt to a lot of genres.  Being a forward and very colored set, even my classical sounds awesome. My Superman the movie tracks sound incredible.  The immersion again is pretty awesome and when I laid on my bed listening to the main theme, I just shook my head at the level of clarity and depth. They are clearly geared for rock music.  The coloring seems set up just for it.  The forwardness is just right to my ears, i love it.  I love the nice set up from lows mids to highs,  its just very ME and I love it so much.  It is not sparkled, sorry.  I've heard much more sparkled sound from other iems, but that doesnt mean anything really.  They are still awesome.  They are also very comfy, each tip size is very usable.  I just prefer the smallest for the best clarity, as the metal mesh on the end under the tip is closest to you with the smallest, sacrifices some bass but i dont mind.

Overall the eterna are excellent, but really didn't blow me away like people said they would.  Still awesome though.  

Aug 4, 2010 at 6:18 AM Post #4 of 19
Ordered a pair two nights ago.  I was looking for a decent sounding IEM that is small and offers above average isolation for motorcycling.  Came across the Eterna and they seem to fit the bill.  Very interested in how they will work out.

Aug 5, 2010 at 2:18 AM Post #5 of 19
oh! hope they work out well for you.  Im enjoying them very much.  Been using them almost non stop since I got them.  

Edit:  I just wanted to point out that when they are amped or used direct from speakers or a pc jack for that matter, the immersion is sublime.  Ive never been this impressed with immersion in an iem before.  A+ earbuds

amazing without amping, and with it its just that much more awesome

Sep 20, 2010 at 7:43 PM Post #7 of 19

Quote:
how do you wear these? are they over-ear?

This question is answered in the first post.  He said:

"They just dont fit in your ears well unless you wrap them around the back of your ear, then they fit well into your ear.  Can you use them normally?  sure, but the fit isnt as good as it should be."

Sep 20, 2010 at 11:43 PM Post #9 of 19

Quote:
I hear it's quite difficult to wear these down and will make it hard to get a good fit.

Its almost impossible to wear it straight down.  They either end up falling out or just dont get a good fit.
That is the story for me at least =P.
When I wear these over the ear, I get an amazing fit and I almost forget that they're there.
For what it matters, I use the double flange.

Sep 30, 2010 at 12:37 PM Post #10 of 19
Just received mine from Bugden Audio. Moving from a very bass light Nuforce NE-8, these are a revalation. I wanted something that sounded a bit more fun, for general commuting and running on the treadmill. This Eterna V2 fit the bill.

Some quick impressions right out of the box with the stock dual flange tips:

Buena Vista Social Club - Live at Carnegie Hall
Elysian Fields - The Afterlife
Janelle Monae - The ArchAndroid
Black Eye Peas - The E.N.D.
Billie Holiday - All of Me

The sound is a V-shaped somewhat like the TF-10's, with emphasis on the low mids and bass. Bass goes very low and has good body and presence, there is a bit of boominess on some songs but this may tighten up over time. The treble is there and extends well into the upper registers but lacks sparkle. Mids but on some songs sounds a bit recessed and which causes certain vocalists to sound far away. Soundstage is a little larger than average but the instrument separation is phoenominal. I had to EQ my treble +6 on my Rockbox'ed Fuze to even out the presentation.

Overall I'm quite happy with the $68 I spent
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 4, 2010 at 3:32 AM Post #11 of 19
 Got my Eterna v.2 3 days ago, fed it "pink noise" for about 12 hours, and am now enjoying every bit of it. I listen to almost all genres of music and was hooked to instrumentals the past couple of months after getting ta pair of RE0s and FA DBA-02. I wanted to bring back my library of new wave, pop, and alternative music library so I thought the Eternas would be great as I felt the relatively analytical RE0's and DBA-02's wont do them justice. True to its billing as being a fun IEM especially for popular music

Oct 4, 2010 at 3:38 AM Post #12 of 19
most Fischer audio products are full of win

if they could redesign the eterna to have the same type of housing as normal style iems do...that would be even more win

Oct 5, 2010 at 4:47 AM Post #13 of 19
 4 days of usage of my Eternas and the strain reliefs on the earphones got dislodged. Anyone with the same problem and ideas on how to deal with it? Tried superglue, blu tack, electrical tape but didnt do the job. I was starting to like them but now this
confused_face_2.gif

Oct 5, 2010 at 6:02 PM Post #14 of 19

Quote:
 4 days of usage of my Eternas and the strain reliefs on the earphones got dislodged. Anyone with the same problem and ideas on how to deal with it? Tried superglue, blu tack, electrical tape but didnt do the job. I was starting to like them but now this
confused_face_2.gif

lol same problem seems to be persistent among most eterna owners =P.
I had the exact same problem since the second day i had them =(.  Personally, its not a big deal.  I just stuck it back in.  If it ever came back out, i just stuck it back in again.

Oct 5, 2010 at 7:57 PM Post #15 of 19

Quote:
lol same problem seems to be persistent among most eterna owners =P.
I had the exact same problem since the second day i had them =(.  Personally, its not a big deal.  I just stuck it back in.  If it ever came back out, i just stuck it back in again.

Am just worried that the wiring inside might get dislodged too...They're suposed to be "strain reliefs" but unfortunately they're not up to their job 
angry_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back