Review: ALO RX Amp (Quite Possibly the Perfect JH13 Amp)
Nov 14, 2009 at 5:32 PM Post #76 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by VicAjax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm with Sherwood... Bits is bits. The digital information contained in the iPod, as long as it's lossless, is no different from the information contained in a good (or bad) CDP. As long as those bits are delivered properly, the iPod itself shouldn't be part of the equation.

I'm somewhat skeptical of What HiFi's review.

So who is arguing that the physical nature of the bits is different? The way those bits are resolved is the sq difference between an Ipod & a good CDP. If what you listen to sounds no different I tend to think the recordings may not warrant better digital conversion, in which case you can "Don't worry...Be happy". Bits may be bits but what happened to the bits is definitely part of the equation. (My apologies to everyone talking about the ALO Rx for the off subject banter)

Nov 14, 2009 at 7:48 PM Post #77 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by pfillion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks, I use a MacBook Pro.

bigsmile_face.gif
Great choice...
I can only imagine what that would sound like, using ALAC files.

Nov 14, 2009 at 8:21 PM Post #78 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by Podtweaker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So who is arguing that the physical nature of the bits is different? The way those bits are resolved is the sq difference between an Ipod & a good CDP. If what you listen to sounds no different I tend to think the recordings may not warrant better digital conversion, in which case you can "Don't worry...Be happy". Bits may be bits but what happened to the bits is definitely part of the equation. (My apologies to everyone talking about the ALO Rx for the off subject banter)

And if those bits aren't converted to analogue until they reach the outboard DAC, there is very little that will affect the sound (some would argue nothing) between the transport and the DAC.

So it would be somewhat doubtful the sound difference would be significant between the Wadia (or Onkyo) and a decent CD transport, going to the same DAC.

Nov 14, 2009 at 10:46 PM Post #79 of 106
if the wadia or onkyo actually losslessly translate the information directly to digital out (the music isn't lost in the process - they aren't performing some sort of magic), then yes, bits should be bits. but if not, then it makes sense.

still, if what hifi are on about sq because it is an ipod (or any dap and not a brick and mortar cdp), then i will roll my eyes.

Nov 14, 2009 at 11:25 PM Post #80 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
still, if what hifi are on about sq because it is an ipod (or any dap and not a brick and mortar cdp), then i will roll my eyes.

see, that's my hunch, because that is exactly what the Wadia and Onkyo are doing... extracting bypassing any internal iPod circuitry and extracting the digital information as though the iPod is merely a hard drive.

Nov 15, 2009 at 6:41 AM Post #81 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by VicAjax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And if those bits aren't converted to analogue until they reach the outboard DAC, there is very little that will affect the sound (some would argue nothing) between the transport and the DAC.

So it would be somewhat doubtful the sound difference would be significant between the Wadia (or Onkyo) and a decent CD transport, going to the same DAC.

Yeah, I thought we were agreed on that. I guess I misunderstood you to mean "how the bits are delivered" to mean the Ipod by itself. We should quit while we're ahead , it seems like we agree on things but are on different pages!

Nov 15, 2009 at 3:29 PM Post #82 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by Podtweaker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, I thought we were agreed on that. I guess I misunderstood you to mean "how the bits are delivered" to mean the Ipod by itself. We should quit while we're ahead , it seems like we agree on things but are on different pages!

indeed! and back to our regularly scheduled discussion of the ALO Rx amp, currently on my shortlist.

beerchug.gif

Nov 15, 2009 at 8:44 PM Post #84 of 106
Well Ken told me they were going to be ready sometime last week but obviously that didn't happen for what ever reason. I would imagine that they will be listed again this week at some point, I for one check on a daily basis....

Nov 17, 2009 at 3:04 PM Post #85 of 106
transports can absolutely make a difference in the sound quality and I have heard it demonstrated by pairing different transports with the same dac. I've also heard the converse of this with a different dac where the difference was very subtle. The thing that made a difference (at least in my mind) was the dacs ability to re-clock the incoming data and clean up any jitter in the signal.

Nov 28, 2009 at 5:50 PM Post #87 of 106
Somehow, I had managed to miss out on the arrival of the Rx. Perhaps it was because I finally felt relatively satisfied with my iMod/ALO/RSA Shadow combo feeding my JH-13s. Nevertheless, I am waiting on Justin's Pico Slim, and now I stumble on to the Rx. The power supply is very attractive on the Rx, and certainly Jerry Harvey's recommendation and jp's review are very persuasive. However, I am concerned about: (1) the prospect of hiss; and (2) the size. While the size is designed to match the iPhone form factor--and I especially like having I/O on the same panel--I am also concerned about its size when portability is a key factor [that photo of the Shadow and Rx together is much appreciated]. So, will ponder for a while.

Nov 28, 2009 at 7:04 PM Post #88 of 106
no hiss with the JH13s to these ears at listening levels and above, you have to get to ear splitting levels to pick it up. I like the size as I use an iphone but if I used a smallish dap it could be a bummer.

Nov 28, 2009 at 7:20 PM Post #89 of 106
Just recieved mine last Wednesday, I have found no hiss with my JH13s at any level yet. All I can say after a few hours of listening is WOW!! I don't know if it's the combination of iMod/JH13s but this amp is blowing me away!!

Nov 29, 2009 at 9:37 PM Post #90 of 106
I just got one of these used in the forums. build quality is amazing! Really nice sized protable, and it's very light. Everything feels really solid.

Sound reminds me of the gilmore light. crisp, detailed, precise, linear, but a bit cold and lifeless. Got to listen more before I say too much

Users who are viewing this thread

Back