Review: Alessandro MS1, Shure SRH840, and pioneer SE M390.
Jul 15, 2011 at 2:27 AM Post #16 of 37
well update on my alessandro.

i think i believe in burn in. why because these definitely changed but not for the better. they have gotten harsher. is this to be expected?

Jul 15, 2011 at 2:37 AM Post #17 of 37
Harsher??? For me the bass opened up a bit and I noticed more detail. That's really strange, have you noticed the increased harshness with the exact same music you started listening with it to or did you notice it when you moved onto other music?

Jul 15, 2011 at 2:51 AM Post #18 of 37

Quote:
Harsher??? For me the bass opened up a bit and I noticed more detail. That's really strange, have you noticed the increased harshness with the exact same music you started listening with it to or did you notice it when you moved onto other music?

i first noticing it when playing other music but i went back to the same music as before and it was there. it's no big deal they are still fun and i can listen for hours but i just don't know if it's placebo or not. i recall the same happened with the shure. they seemed to get harsher over time. might just be my imagination.

Jul 15, 2011 at 3:31 AM Post #19 of 37
When I first got my SR60i's there were some songs that sounded treble happy but it settled down as time went by. Give your brain time to adjust to the sound considering your going from Shure's to Grado's it's going to take some getting used to. How are you handling the small sound stage is it annoying with some songs or do you find instrument separation generally easy to get used to on the Grado compared to the Shure's?

Jul 15, 2011 at 4:41 AM Post #20 of 37

Quote:
When I first got my SR60i's there were some songs that sounded treble happy but it settled down as time went by. Give your brain time to adjust to the sound considering your going from Shure's to Grado's it's going to take some getting used to. How are you handling the small sound stage is it annoying with some songs or do you find instrument separation generally easy to get used to on the Grado compared to the Shure's?

in all honesty i notice no difference. maybe im a noob but soundstage seems unnecasary. as long as i can make out the instruments and it doesn't sound like bloated mess then i am fine.

Jul 23, 2011 at 2:44 PM Post #21 of 37
Wow, I cannot believe the bad rap you're giving the srh840's. These have great speed, accuracy, mids, and highs, and the bass is thumping, and low even when running directly on the ipod, something the ms1's failed to do. The sound stage is perfect and is as expansive as the song allows. I've had some songs that are right in my head, and some songs that really move out, and they're really great for movies too lol. 

I havnt heard the pioneers tho. I'd trade my AKG k701's for the srh840's any day I think they sound even better than the k701's.

Jul 23, 2011 at 4:03 PM Post #23 of 37

Quote:
Wow, I cannot believe the bad rap you're giving the srh840's. These have great speed, accuracy, mids, and highs, and the bass is thumping, and low even when running directly on the ipod, something the ms1's failed to do. The sound stage is perfect and is as expansive as the song allows. I've had some songs that are right in my head, and some songs that really move out, and they're really great for movies too lol. 

I havnt heard the pioneers tho. I'd trade my AKG k701's for the srh840's any day I think they sound even better than the k701's.

well it comes down to who your talking to. i find them to be a tad bit slow with things like electric guitars or bass guitar.

and these have a midbass hump. that doesn't mean the bass is thumping in fact it's just enough and a little to excessive in the midbass. overall though they are my favorite headphones.

Aug 12, 2011 at 1:50 AM Post #24 of 37
Update: Added Amping Performance and burn in updates on the Alessandro's.

Includes Alessandro quarter mod performance.

Aug 12, 2011 at 2:00 AM Post #25 of 37
Interesting update, well you've had enough time to play around with the MS1's and see what they can do. So tell me in your honest opinion are those cans worth the money you paid or if given the chance would you go another route?

Aug 12, 2011 at 2:13 AM Post #26 of 37

Quote:
Interesting update, well you've had enough time to play around with the MS1's and see what they can do. So tell me in your honest opinion are those cans worth the money you paid or if given the chance would you go another route?

They are more then worth the amount I paid for them. They are my personal favorite of my 3 main headphones. Although if I could have I would have taken armaegis's route and bought the Grado sr125 off of him for the same price. But I am more then satisfied and will definitely probably eventually get Grado Flavored Upgraditis.

Aug 12, 2011 at 2:26 AM Post #27 of 37

Quote:
They are more then worth the amount I paid for them. They are my personal favorite of my 3 main headphones. Although if I could have I would have taken armaegis's route and bought the Grado sr125 off of him for the same price. But I am more then satisfied and will definitely probably eventually get Grado Flavored Upgraditis.

Be thankful you haven't started venturing out into the area of finding cans that do certain genres the best. Right now I've dropped a large wad of dough on two XB cans for electronica and hip hop and the Beyer DT 1350 for jazz soul and acoustic. If that wasn't enough I have my iGrado collecting dust and have a pair of Senn HD25-1 II Adidas as my mobile all arounder go to can. I even commissioned armaegis to custom build a cmoy with opamp rolling abilities for my various cans which will be delivered with various different op amps to play around with. If that wasn't enough it's also going to have a bass boost and a buffered gain switch to drive future power hungry cans. If this keeps up I'm going to have to join AA (Audiophile's Anonymous). For those curious about the amp you can view picks of the still unfinished build here.

Aug 12, 2011 at 2:33 AM Post #28 of 37
Added Comfort for all three cans. Just so people know I do care to mention Comfort as some people really do care about that.

Oct 22, 2011 at 8:08 PM Post #29 of 37
Is anyone else interested on my thoughts of these. I am debating purchasing the shure srh940 and adding them. But wait a month or so before that happens.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back