[Review] AKG K545: A new benchmark in portable audio
Jan 9, 2015 at 5:31 AM Post #32 of 40
  Which out of these or the SoundMagic HP150 would be more engaging and rich? I know they are both somewhat neutral but which is more 'fun' sounding?
Thanks in advance :)

i must say i have never heard the hp150's but if you asked me to compare k545's with most monitor headphones i would say they sound much more alive and engaging. From what i heard they sounded to me a lot more rich in the sub bass specter then the audio technica ath-m50. And that gives them a lot more life. 

Jan 25, 2015 at 3:29 PM Post #35 of 40
One review on here a guy ordered one brand new it arrived doa, he ordered another it arrived doa. So he tried one last time and it worked. I ordered mine and the right side stopped working after an hour of use. Then someone here had the same problem. They obvously had terrible qc. For that many to have problems.

Feb 8, 2015 at 6:32 AM Post #36 of 40
Thanks for the wonderful review, now I am really tempted to buy this can. I have a question though, and I am wondering if you can answer it for me. When you were listening to Yanagi Nagi's Tokohana, did you experience any sibilance from her voice at all? I am very sensitive to sibilance, and listening to some of Yanagi Nagi's songs with my AKG K701 can be quite painful, including Tokohana. I am wondering if I will have the same problem with K545. 

Jul 9, 2015 at 1:52 PM Post #37 of 40
Looks like AKG finally got around to recertifying/fixing all the broken ones people sent back and they're on sale for $99 at the official harmon site today

May 2, 2016 at 5:29 AM Post #39 of 40
I'd like to add a quick comparison here. I bought a pair of K545's 18 months ago. Later i also bough a pair od beyerdynamic dt770's (80ohms). Not because AKG's were bad but because beyers were better for my needs of playing drums and "solo" monitoring channels when running live sound. 

So i have had a lot of time to compare the two of these in A/B tests. 

My opinions:

AKG: Just slighly lower sub response, would be a bit better for DJ's and electronic music compared do the beyers. The difference is very small. 

BEYERS: Definitley better low-mid. They sound warmer, richer, more natural. That 150-400hz segment where balls of distorted guitars come is better on them. However. beyerdynamics are famous for their phenomenal mid-range response so this is quiet expected. It's not such a huge difference but you can hear it. Because of this, when you put akg's on yours head after listening to beyers for a while, they sound kind of empty. I don't know how to describe this in a better way.

High-range: There is kind of, more of it on akg's. The entire 3k-16k spectrum is kind of brighter on AKG's. You can hear how vocals, cymbals and the upper end of electric guitars (presence) jump out in the mix a bit more then on the beyerdynamics.
I'm not however saying this is a good thing because i'm not saying the beyerdynamics sound muddy because of lacking highs. They sound more natural to me then the AKG's. 
These highs give the AKG's a more plastic sound and they even become harsh when you run them loud.

The differences are however not that big as i might sound like when describing them. It's just that beyers sound flatter and more natural to me, overall. They also have a better soundstage. And they are made in Germany. The akg's are from China.

Those are my opinions. Also i'm selling my AKG's but i live in Croatia so i dubt that information will be of any use to you here :D 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back