[REVIEW] 18 IEM reviewed and compared!!! (Final update NOV 2, 08)
Dec 14, 2008 at 6:09 PM Post #316 of 335
Rings true for me, for the ones I've tested, EXCEPT I think you're analysis is kind of, well, analytical and omitting gut impressions.

I find myself gravitating back to the UM2 for listening pleasure. I owned Shure 530 and had no gripes about them except that I did not want to play music through them anywheres near as much as the UM2.

Art

Dec 14, 2008 at 6:24 PM Post #317 of 335
Quote:

Originally Posted by antonyfirst /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes.
smily_headphones1.gif
I bought a pair and it should be here within the incoming week.

I'm looking forward to your review of the W3
popcorn.gif

Dec 14, 2008 at 6:43 PM Post #318 of 335
Thanks. I'll take advantage of what has been written in a couple of thread (TheMarchingMule's and Spyro's) and experiment a lot with the tips first.

Dec 15, 2008 at 12:56 AM Post #319 of 335
Quote:

Originally Posted by FeedMeTrance /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ClieOS or Antony, any chances you will be doing reviews of the W3?

Not me through, at least not for a while. At current W3 price point I am not that interested in getting one. I will wait for a few months for the price to drop first. I did wait for a whole year for Shure to fix the SE530 cable issue and its price to drop closer to TF10 level so I think it won't be that difficult for me to wait for W3. I do hope to get a quick audition next time I visit Jaben so maybe I will change my mind after the demo
tongue.gif

Tony, looking forward to your review.

Dec 15, 2008 at 8:20 AM Post #320 of 335
Thanks ClieOS for taking the time to conduct this review, the presentation is easy to understand and it'd be a great jump-off point for newbies (such as myself) into IEM's, IMO. BTW, your review put the RE2+Fiio on my shortlist with the SF5Mk2, RE0 and NE-8 (why pay more when/if one can get the same SQ for less right?). Thanks again, and I look forward to future reviews.

Gritt

Dec 27, 2008 at 3:34 PM Post #321 of 335
Can I ask, which amp would be good for the UM2, as you said, it has slightly less highs and clarity, so i would prefer an amp that would bring that out better, as most amps i see only make things more bassier (never saw treble boost b4, keep seeing bass boost amps)

Dec 27, 2008 at 4:08 PM Post #322 of 335
AFAIK, the only portable amp with the treble boost is the Practical Devices' XM5. Than again, I don't really think UM2 needs an amp since it is very easy to drive. You can easily add more treble via EQ.

Dec 27, 2008 at 4:50 PM Post #323 of 335
what most iems need is a amp or a resistor wire. with imp lower than 100ohm, you get compressed stage and poor bass quality without them for most dap on the market. however, amps for the likes of um2 present their own problems: hiss.

the portables will hiss, the amps will hiss: um2 are fine if you don't care about hiss and that most dap cannot drive them for bass and stage.

Dec 27, 2008 at 5:01 PM Post #324 of 335
thanks for the comparison even though I didn't own any of the headphones that you listed ^ ^.
You should also try westone 3, an improvement over um2, also klipsch image x10...these are the only good ones I owned.

Dec 28, 2008 at 2:40 AM Post #325 of 335
Quote:

Originally Posted by FeedMeTrance /img/forum/go_quote.gif
[OPENING]

★★★★★-The best
★★★★---Really good
★★★-----Average
★★-------Just OK
★---------Not worth it

[size=medium]Westone 3 (2008)[/size]
westone3.jpg

Variation: UM3, W3
Transducer: 3-Way Balanced Armature
Spec: 30Ω (@1kHz) | 20Hz~ 18kHz | 107dB SPL |
Cord Style: Y-cord, ~50” (1.5m)
Mini Jack Style: Gold plated L style, heavy build.
Eartips Used: Shure Olives (small)
Packaging: ★★★★★ (very nice, small and neat, no psycho packaging to rip through)
Build Quality: ★★★★☆ (heavily build, nice plastic, seems strong, worried about ‘stem’)
Accessories: ★★★★☆ (everything you need is included, mediocre case)
Isolation: ★★★★☆ (this is subjective to the tip you use)
Microphonics: ★ ★★★★ (over-the-ear style, no microphonics)
Comfort: ★★★★★ (light cable, dependant on tips, Olives are very comfy, W3 sits nicely in ear)
Soundstage: ★★★★☆ (nice spacious)
Sound Quality: ★★★★★ (very musical, and enjoyable)
Value: ★★★★☆ (sound fantastic, but are v pricey)

Remark: After waiting for over a year, they finally were released. The Westone 3’s were worth the wait. Westone have always been the most comfortable earphone I have used, and the Westone 3 are now the most comfortable earphones I have used, alongside one of the most magical sounding. Delta Goodrem’s voice has never sounded so lush and silky soft (like velvet in my ears), I have never heard my favourite artist in such quality. I put on a Diana Krall (mp3) and was blown away, the plucking of the bass strings was impressive, and her voice hits some wonderful notes. It was evident from examining female vocals the lush highs and mids this earphone offers. Despite some fellow Head Fi’ers finding concerns with the mids, I am quite impressed by what the W3 produces.

For the bassheads, I listened to Rammstein, and some techno and trance to experiemtn with the bass response, quality and quantity. I have to say, that the quality of the bass if astounding, however, I do find at times the W3 is somewhat lacking in bass. Unlike the Triple Fi 10 which (in my opinion) is quite a bassy earphone, the W3 is more quality over quantity, whereas TF10 is a bit more equal.

Overall Ranking: ★★★★☆ (the price and the silly case let's it down, also the fact that I needed to use Shure tips as well)

Nevertheless, I am quite happy with my purchase (for now). I will (near the end of next week) do a full-blown comparison of my earphones, but at the moment tied up writing a Valedictory Speech for my graduation. Until next time, keep enjoying your music.

just so detail for W3, i'll really appreciate if any experienced audiopiles can do like above for Sennseihei IE8..

Dec 29, 2008 at 10:53 AM Post #326 of 335
wow what an awesome review. Thanks man...very detailed stuff

Mar 8, 2009 at 12:54 AM Post #328 of 335
awesome reviews, this helped alot when i was searching... also why isnt this beening stickied? its very very informative, and maybe all other products can be sticked.. i know if i see it i would click on it first :p

Jul 6, 2009 at 7:43 PM Post #330 of 335
Amazing reviews!

But what about UM3X and Westone 3?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back