Reveel headphone amp to recreate the authentic live sound
Nov 10, 2013 at 11:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

cel4145

Headphoneus Supremus
Just saw this information about the Reveel headphone amp posted on Engadget this weekend:

"By using proprietary technology, Reveel adds aspects back into the sound that you find in a live environment (room phase, etc.), but lose in a studio recording."

Sounds interesting. Some kind of analog sound processing. Wonder if it's gimmicky? Listed at $119.95.

Here's the link to the Reveel website. Can't seem to find any specs listed for the headphone amp, so not promising.

Who's ready to take one for the team and order one? LOL

Jan 20, 2014 at 1:36 PM Post #4 of 26
Jan 21, 2014 at 1:52 PM Post #5 of 26
  Actually, head-amp function can be by-passed. ( it's stated that head-amp is just a included function ). You can turn it on without using the amp module by switching to by-pass mode. I use it with my combo :

Parasound Zdac -> Violectric V90 -> Reveel -> AKG K702,

When being switched to "un-amp" mode, it doesn't boost the volume up, the vol level is still at where it should be but what i've got is a fuller sound stage ( wide and deep ), more dynamics, more details , more 3D-imaging. 

BSG Technology is adapted in this product, maybe we can call it as the "heir" of QOL Signal Compensation Stage from BSG. But now in headphone zone :D 

Coolio! 

Jan 21, 2014 at 4:05 PM Post #6 of 26
From their patent for the tech used in its $4k big brother the qol

"8: The objectives and advantage of the present invention may also be achieved through an audio signal reproduction method that involves, among other things, selecting a discrete signal source having left and right signal inputs, summing the left input signal and an inverted right input signal to produce a left–right difference signal, summing the right input signal and an inverted left input signal to produce a right–left difference signal, and summing the left and right input signals to produce a left+right summed signal. The method and circuit further involve adjusting the gain of the left+right summed signal, adjusting the gain of the left–right difference signal, and adjusting the gain of the right–left difference signal. Still further, the method and circuit involve summing the gain adjusted left+right summed signal and the gain adjusted left–right difference signal to produce a left audio output signal, where the ratio of the gains associated with the left+right summed signal and the left–right difference signal at least approximates the golden ratio [1 plus the square root of 5 divided by 2, or 1.618, equivalent to 4.18dB]. Similarly, the gain adjusted left+right summed signal and the gain adjusted right–left difference signal are summed to produce a right audio output signal, wherein the ratio of the gains associated with the left+right summed signal and the left–right difference signal at least approximates the golden ratio.

"9: The audio reproduction method of claim 8, wherein the gain of the left+right summed signal is asymmetrically adjusted relative to the gain of the left-right difference signal, such that the ratio of gains is within 10 percent of 1.618; and wherein the gain of the left+right summed signal is asymmetrically adjusted relative to the gain of the right-left difference signal, such that the ratio of gains is within 10 percent of 1.618."

It's a variation of the Blumlein Shuffler, which allows adjustment of a stereo soundstage's width and dates back to the 1930s.
By converting a conventional stereo signal into Sum and Difference signals and amplifying or attenuating the Difference signal before rematrixing these signals to produce left and right outputs, the stage width can be reduced or expanded. And if you change the spectral balance of the Difference signal, you can selectively alter the stage width at some frequencies but not others.

You can experience the effect of the Blumlein Shuffler for yourself on Jriver or Foobar etc by using a free mid-side VST plug-in ( http://www.voxengo.com/product/msed/ ), I installed it and played around with mid-side levels.  I found that a small increase in side level (between 0.8 and 1.2 with this plug-in) did help the soundstage bloom on many recordings.  Too much level and it sounded too phasy and exagerated.  But when set to a tasteful level, it works very well.

Jan 23, 2014 at 6:16 PM Post #7 of 26
Just a quick question on the amp-off. I heard an interview that the by-pass was to allow A/B testing. Potentially when you are by-passing you are turning everything off. Mine should be arriving tomorrow.

Jan 23, 2014 at 6:52 PM Post #8 of 26
I just received mine today. I don't hear anything different with the switch to bypass. With the thing on I hear a wider and deeper soundstage with WAY more body to the instruments. I quite enjoy the sound. I am in no way a reviewer just thought I would post my thoughts on the Reveel.

Jan 24, 2014 at 5:10 AM Post #9 of 26
I just received mine today. I don't hear anything different with the switch to bypass. With the thing on I hear a wider and deeper soundstage with WAY more body to the instruments. I quite enjoy the sound. I am in no way a reviewer just thought I would post my thoughts on the Reveel.

Could you pls verify ? You said that you didnt hear anything different with the switch to bypass. I'm understand your idea as Reveel just made enhancements to soundstage, imaging and body to instruments , no boosting at bass mid treb ,right ? 

I think the amp section on this little device is not really necessary. I just love how it has done with my set-up above. 

Jan 24, 2014 at 6:54 AM Post #10 of 26
Could you pls verify ? You said that you didnt hear anything different with the switch to bypass. I'm understand your idea as Reveel just made enhancements to soundstage, imaging and body to instruments , no boosting at bass mid treb ,right ? 

I think the amp section on this little device is not really necessary. I just love how it has done with my set-up above. 

I didn't hear any boosts to the bass mid or treble. I don't really see the need for the Reveel to have an amp section. I wish I was a passive device but I do enjoy it. I emailed the company for the specs on the device. Thd and s/n stuff like that. Its a pretty capable device.

Jan 24, 2014 at 4:40 PM Post #11 of 26
I'm sorry but I'm confused about the switch situation. What does the "bypass" setting bypass? Is bypass just a pass through signal with neither the Reveel effect nor the headphone amp engaged? Or is bypass just bypassing the Reveel's headphone amp?

I'm wondering if you can use just the Reveel technology without the headphone amplifier engaged. Thanks!

Jan 24, 2014 at 4:49 PM Post #12 of 26
I'm sorry but I'm confused about the switch situation. What does the "bypass" setting bypass? Is bypass just a pass through signal with neither the Reveel effect nor the headphone amp engaged? Or is bypass just bypassing the Reveel's headphone amp?

I'm wondering if you can use just the Reveel technology without the headphone amplifier engaged. Thanks!

The bypass is just a pass through. I wish it would just bypass the amp section

Jan 24, 2014 at 10:03 PM Post #14 of 26
Okay, thank for the clarification. That seems to limit any audiophile interest in this iteration of their technology. Perhaps there will be other versions.

The internal amp is at a fixed gain. No volume knob or anything like that. The unit is a great way to show off their technology and it does an amazing job. It does miss the mark with the audiophile community. Its marketed to iPod and cellphone users but none of them care that much about sound. If they made a passive unit or even one with a high end amp section I believe it would take off. The only problem I have with it is the noise floor makes it unusable with IEMs. Fantastic with my ps500s though

Users who are viewing this thread

Back