Revamp Acoustics
Aug 6, 2017 at 3:01 PM Post #452 of 765
Yes I'm sorry for that, I will make a differential for next update. About beta and main branch version of firmware release.

@nmatheis please don't tease people with my mystery project. Lol..

Thanks, TJ!

Mystery project? What mystery project? Nothing to see here, folks. Move along, move along...

Aug 6, 2017 at 3:23 PM Post #453 of 765
Thanks @tjstyle for the quick beta firmware update.

Unfortunately, it didn't fix the flac play on my P1. I even removed all other files from the sdcard after the update to test the flac issue, but I was still unable to play flac files in any flavor. In my case the beta update actually made my P1 take a step backward. After updating to the beta firmware, my ape files (that were playing just fine) started to stutter and I still can't play flac files. So needless to say, I flashed back to 1.0.8 :)

Aug 6, 2017 at 5:18 PM Post #456 of 765
I read somewhere in this thread a member said he would "go to" the p1 more than his ibasso dx200.
Can the proud owners of the p1 share your impressions compared with your other daps which around or above the price point?
About to pull the trigger for p1 but still trying to convince myself if this decision is justified for a screenless player at this price.

Aug 6, 2017 at 6:33 PM Post #457 of 765
@gr8soundz I haven't had time to properly compare them yet. I also haven't spent enough time critically listening to the P1 yet either (Although I'm loving what I'm hearing from this magical piece so far) since I've been so consumed trying to figure out why it won't play flac files. I'll get around to comparing them in the next couple of days .

Aug 6, 2017 at 7:06 PM Post #458 of 765
I read somewhere in this thread a member said he would "go to" the p1 more than his ibasso dx200.
Can the proud owners of the p1 share your impressions compared with your other daps which around or above the price point?
About to pull the trigger for p1 but still trying to convince myself if this decision is justified for a screenless player at this price.

I haven't touched my iBasso R10 (upgraded Japanese DX100) since the P1. Nor my AK Jr. The P1 sounds better and starts playing immediately once powered up (no waiting for a screen/gui/os to load).

Screenless players seem a bit more popular now but they aren't all created equal. Super-cheap ones like the Walnut and Zishan use ESS chips and other generic parts while TJ chose a Philips multi-bit DAC chip and Muses02 opamp for the P1. A genuine Muses02 alone costs more than the Walnut / Zishan. It's up to each person whether the price is agreeable but many of us chose the P1 as an alternative to the $3500 Tera Player (which is WAV only, lacks a volume knob, and has no USB DAC feature).

Strangely, prices increase roughly 10x up each level of screenless: ~$30 to $370 to $3500. I doubt any of them are 10x better (or 1000x for that matter) but at least we have a few choices. Another one is the Lotoo Paw Pico for <$200 but it doesn't even have a memory card slot (32GB internal memory only).

@gr8soundz I haven't had time to properly compare them yet. I also haven't spent enough time critically listening to the P1 yet either (Although I'm loving what I'm hearing from this magical piece so far) since I've been so consumed trying to figure out why it won't play flac files. I'll get around to comparing them in the next couple of days .

I look forward to your impressions from the Battle Of The Best Screenless DAPs.

Aug 6, 2017 at 9:39 PM Post #459 of 765
"It's up to each person whether the price is agreeable but many of us chose the P1 as an alternative to the $3500 Tera Player (which is WAV only, lacks a volume knob, and has no USB DAC feature)."

Yes @gr8soundz...totally. Part of the reasoning behind my P1 purchase.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2017 at 9:40 PM Post #460 of 765
I haven't touched my iBasso R10 (upgraded Japanese DX100) since the P1. Nor my AK Jr. The P1 sounds better and starts playing immediately once powered up (no waiting for a screen/gui/os to load).

Screenless players seem a bit more popular now but they aren't all created equal. Super-cheap ones like the Walnut and Zishan use ESS chips and other generic parts while TJ chose a Philips multi-bit DAC chip and Muses02 opamp for the P1. A genuine Muses02 alone costs more than the Walnut / Zishan. It's up to each person whether the price is agreeable but many of us chose the P1 as an alternative to the $3500 Tera Player (which is WAV only, lacks a volume knob, and has no USB DAC feature).

Strangely, prices increase roughly 10x up each level of screenless: ~$30 to $370 to $3500. I doubt any of them are 10x better (or 1000x for that matter) but at least we have a few choices. Another one is the Lotoo Paw Pico for <$200 but it doesn't even have a memory card slot (32GB internal memory only).

I look forward to your impressions from the Battle Of The Best Screenless DAPs.
Thanks @gr8soundz !
I pulled the trigger for p1 finally!
I'm definitely going for the sound rather than the many extra features which other daps might offer.
I have been listening to music in it's entire album for several years (even with my modded ibasso dx90, I play cue files all the time, and hardly pick a few particular tracks), so, with or without a screen is not much of a problem to me.
I was before contemplating to get the Oriolus DP100, for it's sound, if it's good to me, but even with a screen(and balanced out), I think I'll still play the entire album with cue files!
This p1 purchase does not take too long of consideration, hopefully it will satisfy my need to good music without having to constantly looking for a better source.

Aug 7, 2017 at 12:21 PM Post #461 of 765
Good to see the P1 available again. Thinking I may try for another as a backup (in case TJ stops making them).

Finally got back to my desktop last night but only because the P1's battery finally ran out of juice and needed charging after 3 days of heavy use. Didn't measure runtime but the spec'ed 8-10 hours may be conservative.

Btw, what headphones are you guys using with your P1? I finally modded my Porta Pros and they sound pretty good out of the P1 but the T50rp mk3 pairing is on another level. This is only the 3rd time I've felt the Fostex made a great match and this is the best by far.

Aug 7, 2017 at 12:44 PM Post #462 of 765
Good to see the P1 available again. Thinking I may try for another as a backup (in case TJ stops making them).

Finally got back to my desktop last night but only because the P1's battery finally ran out of juice and needed charging after 3 days of heavy use. Didn't measure runtime but the spec'ed 8-10 hours may be conservative.

Btw, what headphones are you guys using with your P1? I finally modded my Porta Pros and they sound pretty good out of the P1 but the T50rp mk3 pairing is on another level. This is only the 3rd time I've felt the Fostex made a great match and this is the best by far.

I'm using my Oppo PM-3s with mine. The P1 drives them with clarity and authority. To be honest they've never sounded better and the portability is awesome since I'm not confined to using just my IEMs.

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2017 at 4:07 PM Post #465 of 765
Hey @tjstyle , on V1.0.9 I'm getting a split second of audio stutter each time I skip tracks or albums. Thought it was my Sandisk card but same problem happens on a Samsung card. Don't recall this happening on the previous firmware.

Also, is there any way the P1 can auto reset after swapping cards? I have to manually reset after every swap. Otherwise, audio incorrectly tries to resume on the new card.

I will try to add the auto reset function when swapping card or any changes in current card e.g. add / remove files.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back