REV33: Reduces Symptoms of Temporary Tinnitus and Ear-fatigue
Mar 23, 2016 at 3:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Bloos

100+ Head-Fier
Hi, I just saw this product today and it claims to "prevents in-ear monitors and headphones from producing unwanted noise and distortion."
and I was wondering if anyone can explain how it does this, because doesn't distortion depend on your sources?
So if you add the rev33 to the chain, how can it un-distort the sound fed to it?
Does it instead distort the sound even more to reduce the harsher frequencies? (couldn't find much technical info on their website).
Thanks!

Mar 24, 2016 at 8:13 AM Post #2 of 6
A friend of mine spotted this post and knew I'd just bought this product and encouraged me, being a geek, to sign up and respond. I'm a sound engineer so this sort of stuff interest a me. I've got a couple of these devices now as they are not 'universal fixes' ie they are Taylored towards individual products. I don't really know how they work; some kind impedance matching I think. But I tried one and it really worked on my UE IEMs. So I bought one for my HD25s which are my headphones of choice. Simply put the image seems wider and uncluttered. It isn't making things wider by reducing the mono part of the signal as far as I can tell. It just seems cleaner. It's a pretty audiophile thing. I don't think these things will be flying off the shelf for people who just want to have some noise pushed into their eardrums from little white buds but I have to say I am actually enjoying listening on cans much more than before. - it sounds more like the results you can get from a good speaker system 'in air' if you get my meaning.
I also have the UE active box which is interesting but I feel it's far less natural sounding ( possibly shaping the curve rather than removing unwanted stuff like the Rev thing must be doing as its passive and the UE box is active )
Sorry for tha lack of tech. In that dept I'm as interested as you. I guess it's their little secret but I thought you'd be interested to know the effect

Mar 24, 2016 at 7:07 PM Post #3 of 6
http://rev33.com/

I just saw the ad and clicked on it thinking it was to combat tinnitus (if you have it). Would've made a great suggestion for my war-vet buddies but it's something completely different. There are other dongles that seem to do the same 'widening/seperation' of sound, MIT Technologies makes one of them off the top of my head. I wonder if it's the same tech... which is essentially taking the low frequency signal (mono signal?) and sending it back to ground (or something along that explanation my electrical engineer friend explained). The MIT variant patents are open for viewing if you google it.

Mar 25, 2016 at 7:13 PM Post #4 of 6
I've been using the Rev33 for close to a month now, and to be truthful with you, this device really works, even for a guy in his mid-30s and I don't have tinnitus. After first plugging in, I noticed a decrease in something that was always there right away, but now it's not. I perceive it as very high end "stuff". It's clear now. And at the end of a 3 hour show, I didn't feel the congestion in my head I normally would after a live concert. The 9 members of my band (ages 50-70) have ear problems, and had raving reviews about how their mix sounded.

On top of that, the amount of signal being TURNED DOWN for the first time ever told me they didn't need to listen to their instruments at brutal levels... Something like this has never happened! This one change sold me that something very positive was happening.

Now, I was a little confused at first but I had a talk with some people and tried to get an understanding of this myself, aside from them telling me how it's made. I'll do my best to explain how it works.

This is a passive circuit that goes in line with a device and any type of headphone. It takes energy to produce sound, some of that energy escapes the phones into your ear, and there is some energy that returns to your playback device whether it be an ipod or an in ear pack playing live music. That energy can create slight distortions that we are all used to, because it's happened all our lives listening to audio.

When listening to a wireless pack, electromagnetic and radio frequency interference can be induced naturally also, and from my experiences, is a lesser quality of audio as a result. In wireless in ear monitoring, I'm sure there is far more interference added to what we are listening to, but our ears can't perceive it (above 20khz). This "noise", and even audible sounds can introduce harmonic intermodulations also. This additional interference adds to the audio your listening to, and your ear is forced to listen over this noise, most likely by turning up the volume, and it's this interference that exhausts our ears.

If you're familiar with analog TV signal, you'd know how the picture can be fuzzy. Imagine this as the audio that you're hearing. Certain methods and circuitry would clean up that signal for a better viewing experience. I kind of feel like that's what is happening here.

The Rev33 is fine tuned to specific listening headphones or in-ears, this is why there are so many different models. They don’t do anything to widen the stereo field or take some low frequency or mono signal and send it to ground. The audio is not changed in any way.  By eliminating the noise and distortion that is generated during playout, the REV33 reduces ear fatigue – including the symptoms of temporary tinnitus or ringing – and brings more clarity. 

I am not affiliated with Rev33, and I'm just a monitor engineer for a popular group. I was told about this and I'm glad I was, and so are our musicians. This is definitely a positive impact on our industry.

Aug 17, 2016 at 11:05 AM Post #6 of 6
Hi, I'm preparing a review of InEarz Nirvana for The Headphone List, and Kaysen at InEarz referred me to Rev33. Just sent them an email, I'd love to review their product from an "audiophile" angle.

Those of you who have the product, do you use it away from work for recreational listening? I'm very interested in hearing your experience and opinions?

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back