Returning my Grado PS500...Not sure what to get now
Feb 26, 2012 at 8:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

ElectroJunkie

100+ Head-Fier
I absolutely loved the sound of the PS500's.  They were probably the most detailed cans I have ever heard with an amazing bass response.  The sound signature was slightly different then other Grado's I have owned or heard.  The PS500's were neutral and not really fatiguing.

My main issues is I just find them so completely uncomfortable.  I can't keep them on for more than an hour without one of my ears being very iratated,  

Not sure what to get that could run from my Hornet and still sound great and be comfortable.  The only think I could thing of was the ADH2000.

Feb 26, 2012 at 9:08 AM Post #2 of 14

Quote:
I absolutely loved the sound of the PS500's.  They were probably the most detailed cans I have ever heard with an amazing bass response.  The sound signature was slightly different then other Grado's I have owned or heard.  The PS500's were neutral and not really fatiguing.

My main issues is I just find them so completely uncomfortable.  I can't keep them on for more than an hour without one of my ears being very iratated,  

Not sure what to get that could run from my Hornet and still sound great and be comfortable.  The only think I could thing of was the ADH2000.

I'm wondering if you tried any other pads, specifically, the G-Cush which goes around the ear.  That worked for me.

Feb 26, 2012 at 10:43 AM Post #4 of 14

Quote:
It didn't know that it would fit.  Do the change in pads influence the sound signature at all??

AFAIK, the G-cush fits all the on-the-ear Grado's.

Yes, less mid-range, bigger soundstage, more comfy.  Others say less bass and more treble.  Can't really confirm that, tho'.  A non-issue since I couldn't wear the regular cush's either.

Feb 26, 2012 at 11:58 AM Post #5 of 14
You can stretch the headband to lessen the clamping force. (Grado also tells you this in the instructions)

I tried the G-cush on my RS1i and the sound was horrific. Way too shrill with no bass and no mids.

Feb 26, 2012 at 1:19 PM Post #6 of 14
Just checked they are 65 dollars locally and I only have another 2 days to exchange the Grado's......Loved them for the bass and tame highs.  Not sure if it is worth another 65 dollars to find out.

Feb 26, 2012 at 1:29 PM Post #7 of 14

Quote:
Just checked they are 65 dollars locally and I only have another 2 days to exchange the Grado's......Loved them for the bass and tame highs.  Not sure if it is worth another 65 dollars to find out.

You can try. But if you really want to try a different sound signature (like the Denons) definitely return them. 

Feb 26, 2012 at 3:03 PM Post #8 of 14
try reverse bowl mod like I did with my SR225i. I'm not sure if it will work on the PS500 because I don't even know what pads they use! i'm really behind lately whew

Feb 26, 2012 at 3:49 PM Post #9 of 14
IMO G-Cush changed the sound for the worse on the PS500's. I can understand why some would prefer it. Like others have said, larger sound stage, the bass isn't as intrusive, much more comfortable. But the very reason I liked the PS500 sound was that it was punchy/fun. And I really thought that was taken away from them with the new ear pads.

Granted, I was using my friends for a day. So I'm not the best person to really ask. Maybe had I spent more time with the PS500s using the G-Cush, I would have preferred the sound. But IMO it definitely changes the sound, and I didn't really love the changes. But of course, this is something that is often debated among Grado fans (the change in sound with the G-Cush). I guess it just comes down to preference (like it always does lol). 

Feb 26, 2012 at 5:09 PM Post #11 of 14

Quote:
You can stretch the headband to lessen the clamping force. (Grado also tells you this in the instructions)

I tried the G-cush on my RS1i and the sound was horrific. Way too shrill with no bass and no mids.

Good advice on stretching the headband.

"no bass and no mids"

So, like there was hardly any sound coming out at all.  Amazing.

Feb 26, 2012 at 6:29 PM Post #12 of 14
another pad that will improve comfort over the bowls and doesn’t take away the bass: flats from ttvj.

I bought a pair and used them on an RS1 and now on a 225i with wood shells.

they spread the pressure over a larger part of the ear compared to the bowls and are more comfortable as there’s no longer a thin line of pressure from the pads. plus they increase bass and sound a bit more fun.

highly recommend for 35 bucks.

plus, as always, bend that band to reduce pressure.

Feb 27, 2012 at 9:17 PM Post #13 of 14
Thank you for all of your input.  I returned the PS500's and went for the HD650's.  I know, I know a complete 180 change from the PS500's but: they felt extremely comfortable, my ears were not fatigued listening to them at all, and now I have a good excuse to buy myself a nice amp.  I am thiniking og the Schitt Audio Lyra as it would be a good match for some Ortho's later down the line.

Feb 27, 2012 at 10:19 PM Post #14 of 14

Quote:
Thank you for all of your input.  I returned the PS500's and went for the HD650's.  I know, I know a complete 180 change from the PS500's but: they felt extremely comfortable, my ears were not fatigued listening to them at all, and now I have a good excuse to buy myself a nice amp.  I am thiniking og the Schitt Audio Lyra as it would be a good match for some Ortho's later down the line.

Vaya con Dios.
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back