Returning HD555 - Help me please, going nuts
May 21, 2005 at 7:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

neo_x

New Head-Fier
Hi,

Firstly, I am from the UK, so no amps here. Nor did I wanted to have one initially. I thought my onboard soundcard was decent enough, but even the Audigy won't be able to drive the 120 Ohm version HD555s.

Secondly, I am a gamer, and I play games 80% of the time, mostly battlefield 1942 or BF2 in the future. I am not an audiophile.

I have made many threads over the past few days, asking about advice, what to do about the horrible quality of sound I am getting from the Senns. I think its all down the HUUUUUUUGE 120ohm rating, bad soundcard, and unamped. I have reduced all effects from the Soundmax applet, e.g. reverb , ear models, EAX effects, had the mode set to Stereo Speakers instead of Headphones settings, but to no avail. I need a MAJOR upgrade to drive these headphones. Hence I am returning them.

I have read many threads here about the BEST gamer headphones but I am now tired, dazed and confused. Someone please help me. I want :

Headphones with good quality sound output, will run optimally with Audigy 2 ZS, are comfortable in long gaming sessions. Phones can be either closed or open don't care. I don't really want to go above £80 for the headphones. I can't find any amps here in Europe so I can't spend on amps.

Would really appreciate some help.

Sincerely,

Mr Frustrated

May 21, 2005 at 9:15 PM Post #2 of 6
I've heard the AT a500's are supposed to be good for gaming. Easy to drive too.

May 21, 2005 at 11:00 PM Post #3 of 6
I have the 555's older brother the 595 and i use them almost everyday for cs:s for at least an hour and i love them, that being said i would also look into the a500/ad500's as i have heard they are great too. Be sure you get eh 50ohm version as even a mouse could drive it.

May 21, 2005 at 11:03 PM Post #4 of 6
Can you get the 50ohm version of the 555s instead, as that should work fine out of your Audigy?

May 22, 2005 at 12:08 AM Post #5 of 6
Question: Are all new retail 555s the 50ohm version? All the websites I have looked on say it is 120ohm, but there information may be old... If I buy a new one, will it be a 50ohm?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back