Returned Shure se215, NEED HELP FINDING IEM!
Oct 30, 2014 at 8:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

eelnwahs

Head-Fier
So here's the back story, my headphone experience started with full size cans, I have a pair of sennheiser hd555 and audio technica ad700's. I've always been impressed with both but I especially LOVE the my ad700's. Their sound is just so clear and has such great mids and highs and tight controlled bass. Now I ordered a pair of shure se215, I know they are known for being a little bass heavy which is the opposite of the two headphones I own but I had hoped it would be just bassy with also a good high end extension. When I received them I noticed the highs barely extended at all and I couldn't hear any high end singing or nice guitar or synths. So now they are in a box being sent back to Amazon. I really don't enjoy music if there isn't a clear high end. I feel like I'm missing so much of the music when I can't hear that nice acoustic guitar high end or that nice belted out vocal. NOW I'm looking to finally figure this out and not order another dud. I was looking at the Etymotic HF5 since it seems to be the most recommended IEM under 100 that can hit those high notes, but I'm not quite sure about the build quality. I don't have a huge disposable income so I don't want to buy a set that is known to be fragile whether it be the IEM housing itself or the cable. So here's where I turn to you head-fi. What IEM would you recommend me that is 100 and under(I know the hf5 is 110), has good build quality, and can match the AD700 as close as possible(I know an IEM can't completely get the separation and soundstage the AD700's can achieve)?

Oct 31, 2014 at 5:10 AM Post #3 of 18

The SE215 is a very poor choice for you since its highs are rolled off. There really isn't too many IEMs around that price range that excels in highs, but I suppose you could look at the VSonic GR07. Its supposedly very balanced and transparent. If you have a larger budget, you'll have better options. Most IEMs in the $100 range are bass-centric.

Oct 31, 2014 at 8:05 AM Post #4 of 18
The SE215 is a very poor choice for you since its highs are rolled off. There really isn't too many IEMs around that price range that excels in highs, but I suppose you could look at the VSonic GR07. Its supposedly very balanced and transparent. If you have a larger budget, you'll have better options. Most IEMs in the $100 range are bass-centric.

You don't feel that the Etymotic hf5 would do me any justice? If not then should I just buy a cheap v shape sound signature to at least get the highs? Honestly if I can't get what I want at that range I don't really wanna spend more because IEM are so delicate and I'd like to use them in the gym.

Oct 31, 2014 at 10:20 AM Post #5 of 18
You don't feel that the Etymotic hf5 would do me any justice? If not then should I just buy a cheap v shape sound signature to at least get the highs? Honestly if I can't get what I want at that range I don't really wanna spend more because IEM are so delicate and I'd like to use them in the gym.

I wouldn't pick up a v-shaped headphone just because they have recessed mids, meaning you wont be getting the detailed vocals that you seek. I haven't had any experience with the hf5, so if you're liking what you've read about them, go ahead and pick them up.

Oct 31, 2014 at 12:25 PM Post #6 of 18
I wouldn't pick up a v-shaped headphone just because they have recessed mids, meaning you wont be getting the detailed vocals that you seek. I haven't had any experience with the hf5, so if you're liking what you've read about them, go ahead and pick them up.

So am I more of a rarity since I actually enjoy detailed high end? It seems like everyone just loves awfully sloppy music, I don't get the point of not hearing the high end. I'd rather have less controlled bass like the ad700 if it meant non fatiguing clear mids and highs. Or maybe my preferred sound signature is way out of my price range? I guess I got too used to how full sized headphones sound

Nov 1, 2014 at 8:37 AM Post #8 of 18
Vsonic GR07 are better than the Shure SE215 in every way

And i happen to like sloppy music and like my bass :wink:

Haha I mean honestly I'd be fine with the se215 if the treble wasn't rolled off so much. I think the detail in music makes it so much more enjoyable. But if you've never had a headphone like the AD700 then you really don't know what you're missing.

Nov 1, 2014 at 9:52 AM Post #9 of 18
Just preferences is all, im sure many people feel the same way about bass as you do about highs. AD700 is one of my least favorite headphones ever, but i appreciate that many people enjoy it. I think the shures are alright but yeah the treble roll off(which i like) isnt gonna suit an ad700 owner very well. The GR07 fares much better in this regard and it has great imaging. Since you appear to be bass allergic, id def recommend the bass-less wonders etymotic, i think theyd serve you well.

Nov 1, 2014 at 12:17 PM Post #10 of 18
Just preferences is all, im sure many people feel the same way about bass as you do about highs. AD700 is one of my least favorite headphones ever, but i appreciate that many people enjoy it. I think the shures are alright but yeah the treble roll off(which i like) isnt gonna suit an ad700 owner very well. The GR07 fares much better in this regard and it has great imaging. Since you appear to be bass allergic, id def recommend the bass-less wonders etymotic, i think theyd serve you well.

Have you used the hf5? A lot of people don't seem to have heard them. I don't think I'm bass allergic but I don't like when it affects the high end. The AD700's definitely have more bass then my HD555's and I like that but the mids and highs still sound amazing. Also would you recommend any cheaper IEM that of course wouldn't have the amazing clarity as more expensive ones. But still have decent high end. I'd love a pair of gym IEM that sound decent

Nov 1, 2014 at 12:32 PM Post #11 of 18
Have you used the hf5? A lot of people don't seem to have heard them. I don't think I'm bass allergic but I don't like when it affects the high end. The AD700's definitely have more bass then my HD555's and I like that but the mids and highs still sound amazing. Also would you recommend any cheaper IEM that of course wouldn't have the amazing clarity as more expensive ones. But still have decent high end. I'd love a pair of gym IEM that sound decent

Nope never heard it, the only ety ive heard is the er4s. And the havi b3 pro1 is cheap and has quite the following on here for being quite neutral, i didnt like them personally and gave them away but seperation and soundstage are its biggest strengths which youd probably enjoy. Vsonic vsd1 is another cheapie but goodie as well.

Nov 1, 2014 at 12:42 PM Post #12 of 18
I think you've done your homework. the hf5s are very detailed, bright and durable except if you remove iems by the cable. Even then there is some good strain relief but the end of the barrel is long enough. I have used them with the klipsch double flange and isolation is very good. You know this already.....

Nov 1, 2014 at 12:44 PM Post #13 of 18
Hmm I've never heard of those havi b3 pro 1's before but they look intriguing. How was the build quality on them?
Also I thought the vsonic vsd1 were more v shaped? If you know of any other cheap pairs with decent build quality around those two price range id love to hear. I think I'm accepting the fact that I won't get full size headphone clarity unless I spend a lot more then 100 on IEM so I'd just love to hear any suggestions on cheaper ones that will still make me happy. Also I have read a ton of reviews but most of IEM in the cheaper price point seem to be more bass centric and of course not what I'm looking for. I really just wish I could sit down and talk to someone who had tons of experience with them lol

Nov 1, 2014 at 12:49 PM Post #14 of 18
The vsd1 has a slight vshape, but its not really bassy so highs come in through. I do think the havi or ety would be better fits tho and the user above owns them so id say listen to him and get the hf5 they seem quite affordable

Users who are viewing this thread

Back