rethinking my whole system
Oct 8, 2002 at 4:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

fyrfytrhoges

Headphoneus Supremus
apologies to the mods in advance for this post as I did not know where it fit, so I'll start here first........

yesterday I received my hd590 equinox cable, so after hooking it up to test it out I have noticed something new in my system that really surprises me, and maybe some of the vets here will be able to shed some light on this....

I started with the cable using my sony dvp s550 with headroom little and outlaw cables, using the hd590 listening to radiohead's "ok computer" which I use as my reference disc. I then went to my other setup which is the sony ns500v with mg head.

What I noticed that bothered me is that with my "cheaper" setup I notice that the highs produced by the synthesizers on the album are much more smooth sounding and clean as opposed to the more expensive setup with the mg head, there the sound is very grainy with those same notes.

I guess my major question is will tuberolling the mg head reduce that "grainy" sound in the synths, there really is a major difference in the sound between the two systems???? sorry this post is so long, if you have questions or clarification please don't hesitate to ask...... thanks...

Oct 8, 2002 at 6:03 PM Post #4 of 9
Search around for ebay. Raytheon 5751s pop up on occasion. How much do you want to spend? Online tube retailers might have them, but they charge an arm and a leg. . .

Oct 8, 2002 at 6:07 PM Post #5 of 9
I just spent around 30.00 on some tubes Nick Dangerous recommended to me a long time ago, a matched pair of JJ EL 84's, and a Sovtek 5751, we'll see what happens I guess.....

I just can't believe how much better the little sounds compared to the mg head with my setup, I have a hard time believing that tubes will make that much of a difference but I guess I'll find out...

Oct 8, 2002 at 6:12 PM Post #6 of 9
fyrfytrhoges: Uhm, just a humbly mumbled suggestion from my side, but before spending a fortune on some rare tubes, it might make sense to at least once swap the sources or amps (i.e. use amp A with source B and amp B with source A) and give the new pairings a listen - just to make sure, that the grainyness you want to get rid of is not a source problem rather than a tube problem...

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Oct 8, 2002 at 10:45 PM Post #7 of 9
lini, thanks for the suggestion, but my problem is in the system with the supposedly superior cd player already, so theoretically that system should sound better already, thats why I'm wondering if the tubes make such a big difference...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back