Resonessence Labs Herus+ Thread
Feb 7, 2015 at 6:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Earbones

500+ Head-Fier
I'm aware there's a thread for the original Herus, but from what I can tell, the Herus+ is a pretty different animal... I'm ordering one, and would love to hear some comments/news from anyone who's taken delivery already.

How's the base level for high sensitiviy IEM's? I know hissing was an issue with the older Herus without the low-power draw feature and increased volume sensitivity.

How's the upscaling feature? Does it move smoothly from compressed files on Spotify to lossless files on Tidal (or WiMP if you're in some parts of Europe) etc.?

This might be the first appreciation thread started by someone who doesn't actually own the product yet, but hopefully a few out there have one and can share their insights?

Feb 9, 2015 at 10:32 AM Post #2 of 10
if high sensitivity, low impedance iem are the only thing you're going to use, don't even consider buying this. They suggested 32-600 ohm for a reason. The hiss is very loud when I plug in my 27 ohm iem. It is unusable.
p.s. I intend to use it with my bigger cans.

Low power draw? You think this will solve the problem? Only thing it does is turn off the led. That's it. Nothing more.

From what I know, the upsampling is a step in the implementation of filters. The filters are intended to improve low bitrate files(44.1kHz etc.) It is not going to improve a lossy, crappy source. Compressed file has less detail then lossless files. You can't conjure the detail out of thin air.

I may start a impression thread of this device soon. When I do, it won't be in the portable amp section. The only input of the Herus is a USB, I don't think it can be classified as an amp.

Feb 9, 2015 at 5:48 PM Post #3 of 10
Are you talking about your impressions of the Herus+ or the original Herus? I own the original Herus, and I agree it presents a very audible and annoying hiss with all my all my IEMs... But I read a post on another forum by a guy who took delivery of a Herus+ tester unit, and stated that hiss was nonexistent on the new model. The hiss has been a major issue with the Herus and IEMs, and it was my understanding that one of the main reasons for the development of the Herus+ (besides the upscaling capability) was to make it play better with mobiles devices, and presumabley fix the hiss, as most people are listening to mobile devices with IEMs...

As for the upscaling feature, having a Concero HP, I can confirm that it will definitely upscale Tidal tracks, which are FLAC/ALAC/44.1/blah... However as some upscaling DACs (not my Concero, thankfully) do not smoothly move from compressed files such as Spotify to ALAC/44.1 without stretches of silence or sometimes even needing to be rebooted, I figured I'd ask about the Herus+ on this front...

It's definitely an amp... Where it draws it's power from is irrelevant. It could use a pinwheel and strong wind, and it would still be an amp. But I think I see what you mean... However, the lower powered amps in mobile devices and laptops are not chosen by the maximum availability of battery to power them, but rather by the amount of battery power the engineers dictate is appropriate for them to consume in order to acceptably drive headphones while still hitting the mark for overall battery life of the device. I think it's safe to assume the Herus and Concero both draw more power from the battery than any engineer would otherwise have made available to an onboard amp. There are plenty of heavy hitters that are USB powered, the Concero HP among them. It traded punches easily with my Burson Conductor... To the point where I ended up selling off the Burson. The Concero was just better, even with my LCD2.2s...

Oct 26, 2015 at 4:06 AM Post #4 of 10
Recently owned a HERUS +. Very pleased with it. Very nice pair with LCD-2. Very sweet mids, deep bass, i wanted to sell the LCD-2 but now i love the synergy. I have a problem with the HERUS +. I use it mostly with a WIndows 10 laptop, Jriver 21 and Foobar. In both programs when i switch to another song it hisses badly and loudly. Not in every song but very often. In all bitrates. 16/44, 24/192. SACD rips. 
Any ideas?

Oct 28, 2015 at 10:01 PM Post #5 of 10
Recently owned a HERUS +. Very pleased with it. Very nice pair with LCD-2. Very sweet mids, deep bass, i wanted to sell the LCD-2 but now i love the synergy. I have a problem with the HERUS +. I use it mostly with a WIndows 10 laptop, Jriver 21 and Foobar. In both programs when i switch to another song it hisses badly and loudly. Not in every song but very often. In all bitrates. 16/44, 24/192. SACD rips. 
Any ideas?

have you tried it on another computer?
have u got the driver installed and selected asio option in foobar output?
it could be a win 10 problem though
I dont see win 10 is being officially supported at the moment
mine works perfectly fine on my win 7 laptop

Oct 30, 2015 at 3:17 AM Post #6 of 10
I've tried on a Macbook Air and no problem whatsoever. The driver is installed. Problem appears with ASIO and WASAPI and the default windows output. I hope Resonessence will release windows 10 driver soon for the HERUS +

Apr 9, 2016 at 9:15 AM Post #7 of 10
Not sure how you guys made out with the hissing problems but mine has been solid w/windows 10 and my Samsung tablet. I've been running it as needed now since December. Although I am not running IEMs either.

Jul 18, 2016 at 4:54 PM Post #8 of 10
Just started to use the Herus +,

LCD 2.1, Pathos Aurium, Herus +, Tidal and Apple Music.

When I first used the Herus in this set up, I was blown away by the detail retrieval. It was amazing. I tried the dragonfly black before and was left unimpressed. But after like 20 hours of using it, my ears started to fatigue. There was too much and too detailed bass to apply to an already very warm set of headphones. It also removed the treble sparkle the Pathos is known for, or I just didn't hear it as well because my ears were taking a beating from the bass.  It sounded awesome but not very realistic. The Herus + exposed the 2.1 and its muddy bass issue, and using flac didn't help. What it did well was fixed one of the biggest issue with the LCD 2.1, having good imaging for a dark set of headphones. It gave it much more energy in pieces that really need it, but also exposed its flaw. I will see if I need to the LCD X, to solve the problems.

I ended up going back to apple music, pathos, and lcd 2.1. It was the best in terms of being enjoyable, accurate, and using lower res audio was actually better then flac. Its laid back and pleasant, but on pieces that are faster and had more layering it is lacking.

Second set up

HD650, ASL MG HEAD OTL III, Herus+, Tidal and Apple Music.

I love this set up, sometimes I wonder why I spend so much more for the next step up. When the 650 are properly matched with an amp, its hard to mess up the sound on them. The Herus + added much more engagement and detail to the music. It is defiantly a good match giving extra life to the HD650 musical characteristics. I initially thought the Herus would sound terrible on the HD650 dark characteristics, but the HD650 bass rolls off pretty early, and don't have all the issues the LCD 2.1 have in trying to produce it. But, if I didn't have the Herus+ in the stream it wouldn't kill me either, because the 3D sound that the Herus is able to produce didn't translate over to the HD650 and amp. 

The Herus seems to be good on headphones that are between bright and neutral headphones, making them warmer and more extended. On already warm headphones especially detailed one, it might be too much unless you are a super bass head. I am also on the fence still about highly resolving DACs, they give you too much. It is like watching 4K TV, it is better then going outside. If you want 3D sound, go for these highly resolving DACs. But if you are trying to create a concert, jazz club, or any real listening environment these DACS might add too much. I should be able to hear where sound is coming form but I don't want be able to hear the nuisance of the instruments. It takes too much away from the music and putting focus on things that don't matter unless you are mastering.

If this dac doesn't work out on the LCD - X and Pathos set up, I will probably use cables and tubes and tune the lcd 2.1 problems out. 

Aug 28, 2016 at 10:07 AM Post #9 of 10
I've had mine for over a week now and enjoy it a lot. 

It has a quite unique sound with great detail retrieval imo.

Sep 11, 2016 at 3:43 PM Post #10 of 10
My review of this little masterpiece is up:

http://www.head-fi.org/products/resonessence-labs-herus-plus/reviews/16825

Users who are viewing this thread

Back