Resonessence Labs Concero discussion/review thead
Jun 27, 2013 at 10:56 AM Post #721 of 2,480
I have read the whole thread..48 pages of it..and I notice most of the people here uses pc/mac as source..so most of the time the input being used is the USB..well in my case I plan to use other sources..like portables and others..which probably means that I will use the SPDIF as input..is the SQ different between USB input and SPDIF input? I mean is the other input better than the other? tia! I have my eyes set on this one..

Jun 27, 2013 at 1:08 PM Post #722 of 2,480
Quote:
I have read the whole thread..48 pages of it..and I notice most of the people here uses pc/mac as source..so most of the time the input being used is the USB..well in my case I plan to use other sources..like portables and others..which probably means that I will use the SPDIF as input..is the SQ different between USB input and SPDIF input? I mean is the other input better than the other? tia! I have my eyes set on this one..

I have only had it working properly for a few days now. I have been fiddling with it quite a bit though and from what I can tell (so far) the usb and spdif inputs are pretty close to the same quality wise.

I am used to the spdif input usually outshining the usb input on dacs, but this one is different.

I need more time to fully evaluate, but initial impressions suggest both input options are of a similar high quality.

Jun 27, 2013 at 6:05 PM Post #724 of 2,480
Quote:
Any word on when they will release the new units today?

They have them on the for sale page on their website : http://resonessencelabs.com/products-page/

Concero HD - 850
Concero HP - 850

Looks like they both employ that new chip by ess the 9018-2M

Hope they get indavidual pages up with more specs too.
Shots of the back too would be nice.

Kind weird they are the same price ?

Jun 27, 2013 at 6:17 PM Post #725 of 2,480
Ah I see now. I suppose the 'big surprise' is use of the new ESS chip. Is that really worth $250 over the normal Concero?

I am surprised not to see the addition of an external power supply port to the HD, but users in this thread seem to indicate that power supply is not an issue given the unique design of the chip set.

Other differences seem to be:

-2v RMS at 75 ohms vs 1.2v rms at 300ohms
-"Over 112dB of dynamic range and better than 100db (0.001%) THD+Noise." vs "Less than 0.005% THD+N ... More than 104dB DNR"

Again, worth the extra $250?

Jun 27, 2013 at 6:23 PM Post #726 of 2,480
My main Interest is in the Headphone model.

I have nor would expect to have any interest in dsd anytime soon, so I am not sure about the Concero HD over the standard Concero.
Once again time will tell.

I really like the lower voltage on the standard Concero.

Jun 27, 2013 at 11:14 PM Post #729 of 2,480
Whew, still love the form factor, but the prices are getting pretty high now (though not unexpected).  Definitely would like to know where the HD slots in between the regular and DAC's like the Matrix X-Sabre and Anedio D2.  

I don't care about DSD, but am super curious what an extra $250 would buy in sound quality.

Jun 27, 2013 at 11:36 PM Post #731 of 2,480
Quote:

I have only had it working properly for a few days now. I have been fiddling with it quite a bit though and from what I can tell (so far) the usb and spdif inputs are pretty close to the same quality wise.

I am used to the spdif input usually outshining the usb input on dacs, but this one is different.

I need more time to fully evaluate, but initial impressions suggest both input options are of a similar high quality.

thank you for the response..really appreciate it..I hope others can chime in too.

Jun 27, 2013 at 11:39 PM Post #732 of 2,480
Quote:
My main Interest is in the Headphone model.

I have nor would expect to have any interest in dsd anytime soon, so I am not sure about the Concero HD over the standard Concero.
Once again time will tell.

I really like the lower voltage on the standard Concero.

I was interested in the HP model as well, but having no SPDIF input puts me off, and I have no plans on having DSD materials, here in our country it would take a long time to dl those kind of files..the orig concero will probably better for me.

------
I thought HP version will have no SPDIF input? or is it USB SPDIF bridge?

from concero hp product page "S/PDIF and USB Audio 2.0 data sources."

Jun 28, 2013 at 12:06 AM Post #733 of 2,480
Quote:
I was interested in the HP model as well, but having no SPDIF input puts me off, and I have no plans on having DSD materials, here in our country it would take a long time to dl those kind of files..the orig concero will probably better for me.

------
I thought HP version will have no SPDIF input? or is it USB SPDIF bridge?

from concero hp product page "S/PDIF and USB Audio 2.0 data sources."

It has a spdif plug on back, not sure if it is for input our output or both ? I know they have some capabilities when it comes to changing that I think.
Having a programmable board I think.

I am kinda bummed the HP loses the rca out, but I guess give and take.

I am going to get the HP to try for sure, will probabbly end up keeping it if I like it.

Jun 28, 2013 at 12:08 AM Post #734 of 2,480
Quote:
Whew, still love the form factor, but the prices are getting pretty high now (though not unexpected).  Definitely would like to know where the HD slots in between the regular and DAC's like the Matrix X-Sabre and Anedio D2.  

I don't care about DSD, but am super curious what an extra $250 would buy in sound quality.

So far the D2 does not blow away the original concero to me, I am still coming to conclusions and listening alot so it's a preliminary opinion which could change.
The concero really is an over performer for sure, how much of an over performer is yet to be determined in my setup.

Jun 28, 2013 at 12:09 AM Post #735 of 2,480
Yeah with the new price + shipping, it's getting close to the X-Sabre price level, just a couple hundred dollars away now, probably can pick up a used one for around the same price. There is also Anedio D2, if one can save a few more extra pennies to spend on a DAC. But I guess the proof will be in the sound. If the sound quality can compete with the X-Sabre or even the D2 on a equal footing than we have a genuine bargain/gem here, if not then it's a bit less exciting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back