Resonessence Labs Concero discussion/review thead
May 24, 2013 at 5:53 PM Post #646 of 2,480
Thanks! It was a write-up I absolutely HAD to do as I was given so much equipment to work with. Unfortunately, I was time limited so I was on an extremely tight schedule, but I feel that I made good use of the time with the X-Sabre and everything else that I borrowed.

Again, huge thanks to Girls Generation for providing me with his LCD-3, HD800 and X-Sabre, Ribeye for providing me with the Mjolnir which Girls Generation handed me through him (a bit complicated), Peter @ DHC cables for all the excellent cables, Chris @ HPL cables for all the excellent cables, Mark @ Resonessence Labs for providing me the Concero, and project86 for all his contributions to the site and hobby/lifestyle/community. Cheers all!

May 24, 2013 at 6:45 PM Post #647 of 2,480
^ Amazing write up! Definitely helps me out for one.
beerchug.gif

May 24, 2013 at 9:07 PM Post #648 of 2,480
Wow, killer write-up planx!! Your description makes me think a Concero might be closer to my ideal sound... Very interesting read!! Thanks a bunch man!!

May 25, 2013 at 1:30 AM Post #649 of 2,480
Thanks all, it's the least I could do with the given circumstances! I'll try to provide a review of the Concero with the Marantz via Coaxial as my cable is currently shipping.

Cheers all

May 30, 2013 at 11:19 AM Post #650 of 2,480
Still enjoying the the Concero quite a bit.  Just for giggles, I tested it plugged in to my Galaxy Note II to see if it works.  Unfortunately, the music plays way too fast, which has been reported to happen with other USB DACs.  Probably not a normal usage scenario for most people, but it would have been nice.  

Jun 1, 2013 at 4:07 AM Post #651 of 2,480
I have a DHC Coax cable on the way as we speak and this will further allow me to enjoy the Concero to another level! Time to grab some well mastered CDs and be stuck in audio nirvana!

Jun 5, 2013 at 8:48 AM Post #652 of 2,480
Finally updated my Concero to have 384 up sampling. One thing you can say is that Mark of Resonnessence cares about his customers, even after the purchase. Hes a good role model for other manufacturers! :wink: Now I just have to save up for my Invicta! Or Mirius.

Jun 5, 2013 at 10:40 AM Post #653 of 2,480
Quote:
 One thing you can say is that Mark of Resonnessence cares about his customers, even after the purchase. Hes a good role model for other manufacturers! :wink: Now I just have to save up for my Invicta! Or Mirius.

I've got to agree with you there. I've been chatting back and forth via email with Mark about the Concero HD and Mark noted, "I'll send you a email when it's ready to ship".   Can't get any better at customer service than that.  

Jun 5, 2013 at 11:39 AM Post #654 of 2,480
Agreed. Mark and company are excellent to deal with.

I once asked about firmware updates for Invicta, and what happens if something goes wrong. Bricking does happen once in a while, seemingly at random in my experience. Mark explained how they have the ability to make up a file - different depending on if you use PC or Mac - and email it to the user. User connects via USB, runs the file, and flashes Invicta back to working again. That's awesome because I think anyone else would require the unit shipped back to home base for reprogramming. 

Jun 5, 2013 at 3:11 PM Post #655 of 2,480
Quote:
Agreed. Mark and company are excellent to deal with.

I once asked about firmware updates for Invicta, and what happens if something goes wrong. Bricking does happen once in a while, seemingly at random in my experience. Mark explained how they have the ability to make up a file - different depending on if you use PC or Mac - and email it to the user. User connects via USB, runs the file, and flashes Invicta back to working again. That's awesome because I think anyone else would require the unit shipped back to home base for reprogramming. 

project86 are you supposed to get a new HD to trial ?  I'm really looking at the new Concero HD, Matrix x-Sabre or the Teac UD-501 DSD dac

Jun 7, 2013 at 11:30 AM Post #657 of 2,480
So I used a Mac beta update for the Concero. There is some improvement in sound, subtle I'd say. It really depends on the recording. I guess 384 up sampling will smooth out the signal with standard red book. I'm not really sure of the advantages. I don't have any 384 material. It would be prohibitively large anyway!

Jun 7, 2013 at 11:39 AM Post #658 of 2,480
Quote:
So I used a Mac beta update for the Concero. There is some improvement in sound, subtle I'd say. It really depends on the recording. I guess 384 up sampling will smooth out the signal with standard red book. I'm not really sure of the advantages. I don't have any 384 material. It would be prohibitively large anyway!

Where is the Mac update downloadable from?

Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 8, 2013 at 8:05 PM Post #660 of 2,480
Any1 compare to Gamma2 or DAC-it? I have a Gamma2 but I am thinking its bottlenecking my system. I have a Soloist and He5Le and it just doesn't sound very transparent, and gets congested on complex recordings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back