Resonessence Labs Concero discussion/review thead
Apr 27, 2013 at 11:37 PM Post #556 of 2,480
Quote:
Oh and by the way - the Concero HD and HP have one more interesting aspect that I can't talk about yet... soon though. 

Tease 
size]

Thanks again for the update!! Might be a nice upgrade without having to shell out significantly more for the Lynx Hilo (next step) or Invicta (end-game). Keep us posted!!

Apr 28, 2013 at 8:48 AM Post #557 of 2,480
5)Next they have the Concero HD which uses a different (32-bit) Sabre chip and can in fact do DSD. The better chip should mean better SQ so it's not just adding DSD to the existing model. They are shooting for a $799 price if all goes according to plan. This is due in June.

Project, What I got from Mark in a email was this new DSD Concero will feature the 
""The CONCERO DSD will have a different chip set based upon the ESS Sabre 9016...[size=small]Price of the unit will be $799. We will start taking orders in mid April""[/size]
Mark M

I looking forward to this unit and hope it enters the market soon. I got to enjoy a friends Invicta for a few weeks and was blown away by it's clarity and wide soundstage but it's way out of my price range.  

Apr 28, 2013 at 1:00 PM Post #558 of 2,480
As for pricing, audio is an expensive hobby. You can always try buying used. I wonder if there will be an upgrade path for the Concero... I emailed and he said he was thinking about it. Is it definite?

Apr 28, 2013 at 1:47 PM Post #559 of 2,480
Quote:
As for pricing, audio is an expensive hobby. You can always try buying used. I wonder if there will be an upgrade path for the Concero... I emailed and he said he was thinking about it. Is it definite?

Only problem with used is that some manufacturers (like Resonessence), don't honor their warranty past the original owner.   

Apr 28, 2013 at 2:10 PM Post #560 of 2,480
Quote:

I believe they want to do it, though I'm not really sure what it would look like. The Concero is a sort of all in one PCB with no additional board that could be easily swapped like a Bifrost or that sort of thing. Maybe the new DAC chip is an easy drop in replacement for the ES9023? But even then it would require being sent back to Resonessence. 

Quote:
Only problem with used is that some manufacturers (like Resonessence), don't honor their warranty past the original owner.   

That's fairly typical and generally should not be a problem - but you're right, it's nice to have the peace of mind just in case. 

Apr 29, 2013 at 12:01 PM Post #561 of 2,480
Quote:

That's fairly typical and generally should not be a problem - but you're right, it's nice to have the peace of mind just in case. 

I think I am particularly sensitive since two of my last Headfi transactions needed warranty support in one way or another.  I almost bought a used Concero until I read the non-transfer clause for the warranty.

I really hope the Concero HD or HP are as high on the value chain as I hope they will be.  I love the form factor.  The reviews for the Concero almost had me (especially since someone said it was a clear step up from the Nuforce HDP), but $200 more for even better performance (and the removal of a admittedly silly mental block about using the same chipset as the ODAC), has me quite excited.

Apr 29, 2013 at 12:08 PM Post #562 of 2,480
Quote:

I think I am particularly sensitive since two of my last Headfi transactions needed warranty support in one way or another.  I almost bought a used Concero until I read the non-transfer clause for the warranty.

Wow that's pretty bad odds. I've never had a secondhand electronic component fail on me. A DAC as diminutive and simple as the Concero seems incredibly unlikely to need warranty assistance.

Apr 29, 2013 at 12:47 PM Post #563 of 2,480
Quote:

I really hope the Concero HD or HP are as high on the value chain as I hope they will be.  I love the form factor.  The reviews for the Concero almost had me (especially since someone said it was a clear step up from the Nuforce HDP), but $200 more for even better performance (and the removal of a admittedly silly mental block about using the same chipset as the ODAC), has me quite excited.

I'd be sure to stay away from those new Cary DACs - priced at $1300, $2500, and $3000 for the tube version. They all use dual ES9023 DACs. 

Apr 29, 2013 at 11:05 PM Post #564 of 2,480
As of last night, Resonessence was not on the exhibitor list for T.H.E. Show Newport.  While this is understandable--doing a show while trying to get four new products finalized and out the door would tax the resources of companies much bigger than Resonessence--I reserve the right to be cranky about it.

Apr 29, 2013 at 11:43 PM Post #565 of 2,480
BTW, I asked Resonessence about the Concero HP, and there won't be an analog out other than the 1/4" headphone jack.  They are still trying to figure out if they can keep Spdif bridge functionality.

I am a little disappointed since most DAC/amp combos I can think of can be used as standalone DACs, but few are as compact as the Concero.  $800 might be too much for such limited connectivity, so the Concero HD might be the one for me in the end.

Apr 30, 2013 at 9:27 AM Post #566 of 2,480
Quote:
BTW, I asked Resonessence about the Concero HP, and there won't be an analog out other than the 1/4" headphone jack.  They are still trying to figure out if they can keep Spdif bridge functionality.

I am a little disappointed since most DAC/amp combos I can think of can be used as standalone DACs, but few are as compact as the Concero.  $800 might be too much for such limited connectivity, so the Concero HD might be the one for me in the end.

Thanks for that info. Seems they intend it to be a true "all in one" device only, though if the DDC functionality ends up staying then at least it has that as well. 

May 2, 2013 at 9:32 PM Post #567 of 2,480
About the Concero HP, if it is not going to have a display, let's hope the volume button is not like the one in the INVICTA which can rotate infinitely in each direction since the (digital) volume level is controlled via the display...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back