Resonessence Labs Concero discussion/review thead
Sep 10, 2015 at 10:42 PM Post #2,131 of 2,480
  Ok, I have clarified the one thing that didn't make sense to me. For Concero HD:

V2.7
-Added Non-Volatile Filter settings.
-Correct the Volume control bug for Audio Class 1.0 for Full Speed.
-Updated USB descriptors to just Audio Class 1.0 for Full Speed, and Audio Class 2.0 for High Speed.
-Scale volume range from 0dB to -63.5dB  (Used to be 0 to –127dB)
-Fixed a bug where clipping DSD signal caused audio dropouts
-Updated to support both ES9018K2M-W and ES9018K2M-V silicon (THD coefficients are updated)
-Allow pass data through SPDIF decoder when "Consumer mode" and "Data" and "176.4k"is set
-Allow SPDIF to be decoded even if the "DATA" flag is set.

For Concero HP (SPDIF input version):

V2.7
-Correct the Volume control bug for Audio Class 1.0 for Full Speed
-Updated USB descriptors to just Audio Class 1.0 for Full Speed, and Audio Class 2.0 for High Speed
-Added USB initial volume level to be -40dB
-Updated to support both ES9018K2M-W and ES9018K2M-V silicon (THD coefficients are updated)
-Added Non_Volatile Volume settings for SPDIF input modes
-Change initial volume to be -40dB for SPDIF mode. (from -50dB)
-Allow pass data through SPDIF decoder when "Consumer mode" and "Data" and "176.4k"is set
-Made the SPDIF input volume be 0dB if not previously programmed, else it keep that last volume set.
-Updated the Rotary decoder for better CW/CCW detection

For Concero HP (SPDIF output version):

V2.7
-Correct the Volume control bug for Audio Class 1.0 for Full Speed
-Updated USB descriptors to just Audio Class 1.0 for Full Speed, and Audio Class 2.0 for High Speed
-Added USB initial volume level to be -40dB
-Updated the Rotary decoder for better CW/CCW detection

For original Concero:

V2.7
-Improved SPDIF decoder to have less glitches with power supply spikes.

So as you can see, lots of little things. The main one that is most noticeable is the volume control on the HD and HP. It now covers a smaller range which means each "step" is more of a fine adjustment. The trade off on this is higher volume in general. Apparently they had people asking for this for more ease in dialing in exact levels. 

Seeing as they increased the volume and all... Does it play better with Harder to drive headphones on the higher end of the volume control..?? Ive yet to actually try my HP with a pair of HD600's etc, so im wondering how it fairs now.

Sep 11, 2015 at 1:21 AM Post #2,133 of 2,480
Exactly. The minimum volume is now higher (-63.5dB instead of -127dB) and the max is the same. So it's an adjustment of the total range it can cycle through. Same number of "steps" with a smaller total change in volume equals more precision for each. "Step" if that makes any sense.

I wouldn't worry about full size cans. If there was a problem it would be with sensitive IEMs.

Oct 6, 2015 at 2:45 PM Post #2,134 of 2,480
The Resonessence Veritas DAC has been shown off at RMAF: http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2015/10/resonessence-labs-tease-veritas-dac-streamer-at-rmaf-2015/

Looks like Resonessence is working on a power amp as well.

Balanced and unbalanced outputs, digital volume control, USB, toslink, and coax inputs. No headphone amp stage. Looks quite a bit larger than the Concero series.

Oct 14, 2015 at 6:48 PM Post #2,135 of 2,480
I'm using from long time conceroHD converter spdif to the Hugo
It s sound ..different: the head stage is deeper and all voices and instrument are more aligned and it s sound more analog than straight from the Hugo
It s less in your face so even the bass become leaner..
But
The sound is more like a concero HD dac then the Hugo
It remind me more to a concero hd , fuller with more Armonic and much more bass than the Hugo with the transporter..

Oct 29, 2015 at 3:02 PM Post #2,136 of 2,480
Err... I'm scared to apply this update.  I'm using it toward the lower half of the volume range with IEMs, primarily JH Roxannes/ie800s through Roon (volume settings 30-50).  Any feedback on this?

Oct 31, 2015 at 12:55 PM Post #2,139 of 2,480
I'm looking at buying a Concero HP but I'm still in doubt whether I should go for the dac/amp Concero HP or the Concero HD DAC only and a separate amp.
At the moment I don't have a high end headphone out of the top segment. I just bought a Philips X2 which I like alot. I use it with my O2/odac combo. I also have the Philips L2 and Beyerdynamic DT990 (250ohm), along with a few iem's.
But who knows, maybe in the (near?) future I'm going to buy a more difficult to drive planar headphone. And I read in a few reviews that the Concero HP 'runs out of steam' a bit with these type of headphones. To avoid problems in the future I want to buy once obviously.

So, I was looking at the Concero HD + Lake People G109 for example.

Would this be a better combo than the HP version considering what I wrote earlier?

Oct 31, 2015 at 2:16 PM Post #2,140 of 2,480
  I'm looking at buying a Concero HP but I'm still in doubt whether I should go for the dac/amp Concero HP or the Concero HD DAC only and a separate amp.
At the moment I don't have a high end headphone out of the top segment. I just bought a Philips X2 which I like alot. I use it with my O2/odac combo. I also have the Philips L2 and Beyerdynamic DT990 (250ohm), along with a few iem's.
But who knows, maybe in the (near?) future I'm going to buy a more difficult to drive planar headphone. And I read in a few reviews that the Concero HP 'runs out of steam' a bit with these type of headphones. To avoid problems in the future I want to buy once obviously.

So, I was looking at the Concero HD + Lake People G109 for example.

Would this be a better combo than the HP version considering what I wrote earlier?

I say go with the HD. For me the HP is more for on-go use. One small package that does not take up a lot room. USB power, you will be limited to headphones just because that. Concero scales up very well. The better amp use, the better Concero performs.

Nov 1, 2015 at 12:08 PM Post #2,143 of 2,480
A lot depends on how loud you like your listening sessions. The HP will not get earsplitting volume with insensitive headphones.

I certainly don't listen to music at earsplitting volumes. But there's more to it than loudness alone I think. I read for example that with a headphone like a HE-500 there would be less 'dynamics' due to the higher impedance.
That brings me to another question. How does it work with the Concero HP concerning gain levels. There is no switch to choose gain. How does it 'know' if you plug in a sensitive IEM or a more diffcult to drive headphone?

Nov 1, 2015 at 12:28 PM Post #2,144 of 2,480
It doesn't know. The gain is fixed. There is some hiss with some sensitive IEMs as a result, unfortunately. It will largely disappear once music starts playing.

The "hard to drive" issue is far more complicated than just looking at impedance numbers; you also need to consider the headphone's sensitivity and how much current and voltage the amp can provide. In general, low-impedance headphones actually need more current. I haven't tried the HP with the HE-500, but expect it will work fairly well, if not super-loud, but it is a USB-powered device. Don't expect miracles, it won't match a GS-X.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back