Resonessence Labs Concero discussion/review thead
Dec 16, 2012 at 12:16 PM Post #61 of 2,480
I am curious about hour comparo against the M2Tech Young Dac, as I have an opportunity to obtain one, you felt the Xonar Muses held its own, in what aspect, if I may ask? I'm still looking for the Muses and am using the Mydac in the meantime. Oddly, i ran the Wireworld Startlight through usb hub to a Silver Starlight, to burn them in simultaneously to decide which ones to keep, and like Goldilocks thought th SIlver was too hot, where everything jumped out too much, and the starlight as too polite. By chance I listened to the starlight - hub -silver startlight chain and found it to have the best of both worlds. Damn USB dacs.

Dec 17, 2012 at 5:10 AM Post #62 of 2,480
Sure. Bare in mind however the comparison was made between a Young DAC with a custom PSU (battery powered) and my Xonar Essence (stock model, not MUSE) which I have modified myself with LME9720HA op-amps.

The Young DAC's presentation was immediately better, with a cleaner and clearer soundstage. However it did have a touch of sibiliance on some vocals, and I tend to agree with the view that the DAC is a little treble-forward/top-ended overall. In comparison, the E1 has a fuller tone with a stronger focus on midrange and overall "tuneful" character.

I was able to power them simultaneously with different USB ports, so all it took was a flick of foobar's output device to swap between them. My friend (who owns the young) regularly asked which DAC were we listening to? So I think that goes to show the differences between them weren't exactly night and day.

Considering the price difference, the Xonar is great value for money IMO.

Dec 19, 2012 at 9:13 AM Post #65 of 2,480
Thanks for a great and very detailed review Project86. I am just curious about  your methodology when you A/B DACs. Which amp/ headphone do you normally use and how do you feed the same digital signal to both dacs? Do you volume match them with a sound level meter or digital multimeter?

Dec 19, 2012 at 10:00 AM Post #66 of 2,480
Great review, detailed as ever Project86.  I'm curious though - you've had previous experience with the Anedio D2, how does this compare to it?   Comparisons against the NAD M51 if you've heard it as well would be great too!

Dec 19, 2012 at 6:07 PM Post #68 of 2,480
Thanks all. To answer the questions (I'm on an iPad so cut me some slack):

zenpunk - I start by just listening, using a lot of different associated gear that I'm very familiar with. Then once I feel that I have a good idea of the general sound, I switch to A/B comparisons. As I touched on in the review, this time I used a Consonance M10S tube integrated, out to a Woo Audio WEE electrostatic transformer, powering a pair of Stax SR-404LE ear speakers. I used two laptops - one for each DAC - and fed both to the integrated which has multiple inputs. Level matching was done in advance with my trusty SPL meter, which was especially important in this review since Concero has a lower than average output voltage. I use a small sticker near the volume dial to remember the proper setting for each DAC. So within a second or two I can switch back and forth and match levels.

Is this ideal? Not exactly. Using a different computer to feed each DAC is a potential variable (though both get the same playback software and settings). I also had to feed some DACs with an SPDIF transport if they had an inferior USB implementation. I don't have 2 identical music servers or CD transports with coaxial out, so again that's another variable. Still, it's close enough in my opinion. It's actually quite a chore to do it this way, but sometimes it pays off when something you thought you heard no longer applies, or vice versa. But afterwards I'm always very ready to get out of review mode and back to normal listening.

For those who asked about the Anedio D2 and comparisons - I didn't do those because the D2 is more than double the price of Concero, and because it is better - id like to compare it to the latest Invicta running current firmware. The original Anedio D1 was nipping at the heels of the pre production Invicta I had, but a lot has changed since then for both models. So that would be a fun comparison.

In general terms though, Concero falls somewhat behind my D2 as well as my Violectric V800. Both are way more expensive, and both are some of the best examples of reasonable price, high quality DACs, so there's no shame in coming in third there.

Dec 20, 2012 at 3:21 AM Post #69 of 2,480
When you have some time, could you comment on how the Concero/Violectric V200 combo sounded relative to the other amps you used with it? Thanks in advance.

Dec 20, 2012 at 7:49 PM Post #70 of 2,480
Concero arrived a few days ago. Opening the box I thought, "Can this diminutive slab of black metal actually deliver the goods?". Small it was, but also weighty and very attractive w/machined logo on top, adjustable LED, and sleek Apple remote which was easy to use. Somehow, it was also able to control my Foobar music playback... a nice extra.

Yuceka and I enjoyed running it through a series of tests using USB/Coax/and USB bridge mode. We concurred with Srajan's less-obtuse findings: Concero is a *clean* DAC. It neither adds nor subtracts anything from the music... just lets it flow. If you play low-fidelity garbage MP3's, that's what you'll hear. Which is to the Concero's credit since it was so revealing of such shortcomings.

We found the Concero to perform well at its price point. Skepticism about this DAC-on-a-chip faded quickly once we gave it a listen. While it didn't pull quite as many details from the music as the big-as-a-tank NuWave, what it *did* retrieve was articulate and accurate without flattening the soundstage nor adding any unique colorations. According to Yuce, the Concero "slayed" his CLAS bridge/DAC. Like, totally mopped the floor with it. "Easily 3x better" in his estimation. If the Concero had the same ability to play native Apple devices as the CLAS (which is among only a small handful of DACs to license this feature), he'd have bribed me to keep it on the spot.

Concero deserves its place at the $600-ish tier. We were impressed with the number of goodies you actually get for the money: SPDIF/USB bridging, portability, advanced filtering, attractive looks, and a capable, neutral DAC. I'm still on the hunt for a "statement DAC", but I'll be keeping the Concero regardless. It's like the quiet kid at recess who keeps to himself all year until piano recital night... then hammers out a Chopin composition with a level of proficiency beyond anyone's expectations.

Good recommendation, burnspbesq!

Dec 20, 2012 at 10:50 PM Post #71 of 2,480
Bonus round: Just finished a/b'ing with Jerikl's Bifrost.

The Bifrost has more bottom-end punch, but is less accurate. Almost "fake" in comparison with the Concero, says J. The upper-end frequencies were similarly described... Bifrost noticeably "grainy" and less defined in comparison. Still, for $450 w/USB, the Bifrost deserves its reputation as a price/performance leader. It does rock, and it suits lower-priced rigs perfectly.

Tonight's demo incorporated an HD800 + Decware CSP2+ with good NOS tubes. With this rig, the $200 jump to the Concero is easily warranted and recommended. Further proof of the necessity of keeping your source/amp/speakers matched on the price/performance curve as one moves up the slope (and down the retirement fund target date... :p).

Dec 21, 2012 at 12:33 AM Post #72 of 2,480
Glad to hear you're enjoying it, Nick.

Dec 21, 2012 at 12:39 AM Post #73 of 2,480
For their next trick, Resonessence needs to stick a highly resolving Class A headphone amp into a case the same size as the Concero. :D

Dec 21, 2012 at 11:35 AM Post #74 of 2,480
Quote:
When you have some time, could you comment on how the Concero/Violectric V200 combo sounded relative to the other amps you used with it? Thanks in advance.

V200 fed from Concero is a great combo. It actually sounds quite similar to the "Violectric stack" which is the V800 DAC with the V200. Both DACs are neutral and very resolving, with the (twice as expensive) V800 going somewhat farther in terms of imaging and soundstage realism. Predictably, they have inverse performance in terms of inputs - V800 is best through SPDIF from a great transport, and not quite as good from USB. Concero is the other way around. Using Concero as DDC to feed the V800 is a very good match - among the best I've heard. 

Concero goes far towards letting the V200 shine. The combo sounds detailed but also rich and weighty. Soundstage is mid-sized, imaging is accurate, and the top end prioritizes smoothness over ravishing accuracy. Overall it's a good compromise between sterile/boring transparency and overly warm/lush coloration. And yes, they look good together too 
biggrin.gif

Quote:
For their next trick, Resonessence needs to stick a highly resolving Class A headphone amp into a case the same size as the Concero.
biggrin.gif

Yes please!

Dec 21, 2012 at 1:10 PM Post #75 of 2,480
I have to go to LA this afternoon, so before I pull the trigger on the Violectric, I might throw a laptop, the Concero, and my HD 800s into a backpack and go audition the Musical Fidelity M1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back