Resonessence Labs Concero discussion/review thead
Nov 24, 2012 at 10:01 AM Post #31 of 2,480
Quote:
The ratio of gibberish to information in his review is even higher than usual for him, but after careful consideration I have tentatively concluded that Srajan likes the Concero.
http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/resonessence2/1.html

Good description. I'll minimize my comments on a fellow writer as I'm sure many folks have nits to pick with my style as well.

However, I will point out what I see as something of a glaring error - not so much with his style or conclusion but rather his setup. The headphone rig he outlined in the Concero review uses the 32ohm Beyer T5p being driven by the Bakoon AMP-11R. Bakoon lists the output impedance as either 33 ohm (high gain), 56 ohm (medium gain), or 89 ohm (low gain). Chances are that the efficient T5p calls for low gain, resulting in a damping factor of significantly less than 1. A damping factor of 8 or more is ideal. I'm no fan of the T5p but I wonder what the high output impedance does to the frequency response - perhaps it gives a much needed boost in the bass region, and/or smooths that piercing treble? Still, I'd opt for low output impedance and a better headphone. 

Back to the Concero - I discovered that it doesn't play so well with my MPD Linux-based Auraliti PK90 music server. It plays 88.2kHz and 96kHz material brilliantly, but that's all. Anything lower and I get silence, anything higher sounds oddly distorted. I tried several Windows based computers and Concero plays perfectly fine with all of them. Mark Mallinson said he'd run it past an engineer but we both agreed it was more likely an Auraliti issue than a Resonessence issue. So I've got an email in to them now. 

Nov 24, 2012 at 5:25 PM Post #32 of 2,480
Back to the Concero - I discovered that it doesn't play so well with my MPD Linux-based Auraliti PK90 music server. It plays 88.2kHz and 96kHz material brilliantly, but that's all. Anything lower and I get silence, anything higher sounds oddly distorted. I tried several Windows based computers and Concero plays perfectly fine with all of them. Mark Mallinson said he'd run it past an engineer but we both agreed it was more likely an Auraliti issue than a Resonessence issue. So I've got an email in to them now. 

FWIW, I haven't had even a hint of trouble with the Concero and my MacBook Pro running Amarra in cache mode.

Nov 26, 2012 at 7:14 AM Post #34 of 2,480
Quote:
The ratio of gibberish to information in his review is even higher than usual for him, but after careful consideration I have tentatively concluded that Srajan likes the Concero.
http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/resonessence2/1.html

The 6moons "review" is actually pretty interesting. I didn't know that when the Concero is used in USB bridge mode it can output a *post*-digital filter bitstream. That's a very unique feature on its own. I might pick one up just for that.

Nov 26, 2012 at 9:26 AM Post #35 of 2,480
Quote:

The 6moons "review" is actually pretty interesting. I didn't know that when the Concero is used in USB bridge mode it can output a *post*-digital filter bitstream. That's a very unique feature on its own. I might pick one up just for that.

Yep, interesting indeed. Not only is it a DAC and DDC but also an inline digital filter of sorts. 

Nov 26, 2012 at 9:41 AM Post #36 of 2,480
Project86
What is your opinion of the DAC.. Is it competitive at the price point. Im looking for a new DAC that would work in my second system and also on some 598s
I read the review and wasn't too sure if Srajan liked it or not. He mentioned air, I like air :) 
How does it compare with the violectric for example?

Nov 26, 2012 at 10:36 AM Post #37 of 2,480
Quote:
Some additional observations.

(2) The Concero provides three options for 44.1 and 48 sample-rate files: no upsampling, upsampling with a minimum-phase IIR filter, and upsampling with a linear-phase apodizing filter.  It didn't take long for me to decide that I preferred upsampling to NOS, although I don't know that I can concisely articulate why other than to say it just sounds more realistic to me.  I'm having a much harder time getting to a conclusion as to which filter I prefer; the differences are very subtle.  I find myself using the IIR filter more, but that could be nothing more than agenda effects (the IIR filter comes up first as you cycle through the options using the Apple remote).

Thanks for the excellent reporting - some of the music you've been listening to is very familiar to me, so it really helps give a sense of how this unit sounds.

Don't know if you've tried it previously and decided against it, but the Audirvana Plus player includes sample rate conversion software (iZotope 64-bit) generally acknowledged as up there with the state of the art.  It would be interesting to learn what the sonic results are of offloading the upsampling step from the DAC to the computer.

Nov 26, 2012 at 10:55 AM Post #38 of 2,480
Quote:
Project86
What is your opinion of the DAC.. Is it competitive at the price point. Im looking for a new DAC that would work in my second system and also on some 598s
I read the review and wasn't too sure if Srajan liked it or not. He mentioned air, I like air :) 
How does it compare with the violectric for example?

The DAC section is exceptionally good - definitely airy and clean, though not bright or thin or anything like that. 

I haven't spent much time yet comparing to the Violectric V800 or other more expensive DACs. So far I've been pitting it against somewhat like-priced units such as the Yulong D100 MKII ($480), Matrix Quattro ($699), Yulong Sabre D18 ($699), and the older Audio GD Reference 5 ($1000 when new). It is clearly superior to the Quattro and D100 MKII (which was my reference in the price range and is still very good). I like it better than the Reference 5 as well, though the units each have their charm. The D18 is a tough comparison - both are very capable yet very different. The Yulong is warmer, smoother, more spacious, and more forgiving. The Concero is more direct, airy, detailed, clean, and ruthless at times. Both are somewhat focused in terms of features - Concero USB and SPDIF, D18 everything but USB. 

I'll continue my comparisons and will have more to say soon. 

Nov 26, 2012 at 11:15 AM Post #39 of 2,480
Thanks for the excellent reporting - some of the music you've been listening to is very familiar to me, so it really helps give a sense of how this unit sounds.

Don't know if you've tried it previously and decided against it, but the Audirvana Plus player includes sample rate conversion software (iZotope 64-bit) generally acknowledged as up there with the state of the art.  It would be interesting to learn what the sonic results are of offloading the upsampling step from the DAC to the computer.

I haven't spent much time playing with Audirvana or Pure Music. I'm an Amarra guy from way back. I'm also generally inclined to not do things on the computer if they can be offloaded to a specialized tool that purpose-built for that function.

Dec 4, 2012 at 5:51 PM Post #41 of 2,480
I've got it in the back of my mind to pick one of these up....I'd love to hear more comparisons against the D18.  And not to open any nasty cans of worms, but I wonder how it sounds next to the ODAC.

Dec 4, 2012 at 6:05 PM Post #42 of 2,480
Quote:
(followed from the NuWave thread)

Has anyone compared this with a Schiit Bifrost or Gungnir?

Only heard the Bifrost briefly, and it struck me as being just what the (more reliable) reviews have said - a hard-working, blue-collar type DAC which sounds "good enough" for most situations. The Concero seems to be more ambitious than that, challenging some of the DACs I've heard in the $1K-2K price range. This is an off-the-cuff evaluation though so take it for what it is.

I haven't had a chance to hear the Gungnir yet.

Quote:
I've got it in the back of my mind to pick one of these up....I'd love to hear more comparisons against the D18.  And not to open any nasty cans of worms, but I wonder how it sounds next to the ODAC.

Will have more thoughts about the D18 comparison as time allows. I think they are both exceptionally good, almost a steal at their respective asking prices. But each pairs well with different types of gear. 

Dec 4, 2012 at 11:09 PM Post #43 of 2,480
I've heard the Gungnir a couple of times, in show/meet conditions with different amps, and not in direct comparison to the Concero, so I'm hesitant to go too far out on a limb.  I think the Concero is likely to be better in most applications, and the price difference is enough to get an add-on power supply or a really good USB cable.

Dec 5, 2012 at 11:49 AM Post #44 of 2,480
Project86 -- you mentioned that the sound signatures are different between the Concero and D18. Could you give a quick rundown.. Im leaning more towards the Concero because I will be using USB input, but sound is more important.
Thanks!
Mike

Dec 5, 2012 at 10:53 PM Post #45 of 2,480
iFi Micro USB power supply and a second WireWorld Starlight USB cable are on the way.

I might get a chance to compare the Concero to the other giant-killing DAC, the Micromega MyDAC, this weekend.

Stay tuned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back