Resonable price for discontiuned product?
Apr 28, 2004 at 8:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Zuerst

Headphoneus Supremus
A new W100 when it was still avaliable from AudioCubes is about $350 ($320 at one point) and $330 direct from AT Singapore. Does a new W100 for $410 right now seems a "bit" overpriced?

Apr 28, 2004 at 8:49 PM Post #2 of 18
for someone who's spent weeks bumping that damn thread in search of one? not really.

Apr 28, 2004 at 9:06 PM Post #3 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by bln
for someone who's spent weeks bumping that damn thread in search of one? not really.

Bumping doesn't cost money... A used pair compared to that $410 is really more of $100 difference at least though.

Apr 28, 2004 at 10:15 PM Post #5 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by commando
I probably wouldn't pay it, but if you really want it and that's the only one you can find, get it.

I agree, I wouldn't pay that much for the W100 if it were readily available and it came up in the buy/sell forums often. But since it is brand new and you have been looking for a pair for what seems like forever, $400 isn't so bad.

Apr 28, 2004 at 11:55 PM Post #6 of 18
It's all a matter of supply and demand and what it's worth to you. Heck I paid more for a pair of used HP-2's than what they cost new. If they aren't making them anymore, then it's going to be increasingly harder to find a brand new pair, and price may therefore go up. If it's too much, then wait a little more until you find a used pair that is in your expected range. But if you wait too long, who knows, it might end up costing more than the $400 the brand new pair costs now.. It's a gamble though... You either win or lose. As long as you have em in hand, you're a winner.

Apr 29, 2004 at 5:02 AM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chinchy
It's a gamble though... You either win or lose. As long as you have em in hand, you're a winner.

Now that is whats wrong with consumerism, capitalism and the world today.

Apr 29, 2004 at 5:20 AM Post #8 of 18
I dont know why you want a woody so badly. Its good but nothing "special" - but thats none of my business....

As far as audiocubes is concerned - great bunch of people. Email them and they write back to you ASAP!!
eek.gif

Try talking to them about prices - im sure they will be able to fix you up...

If you run out of options on the W-100 then get the CD3000 / HD-650 and drop out of the headphone radar for a few years
tongue.gif

Apr 29, 2004 at 5:34 AM Post #9 of 18
Oi, mate, if thats what you really want, get the damn things. That's my advice. If you have any second thoughts though, I just might refrain.
rolleyes.gif

Apr 29, 2004 at 5:49 AM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by zoot2boot
Now that is whats wrong with consumerism, capitalism and the world today.

Heheh, yeah but probably better than being communist. That's why I'm proud to be an American!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Apr 29, 2004 at 5:54 AM Post #11 of 18
I think the pricing on the W100 is more unstable than most. At one point they were flavor of the month here and got a big premium. Then they went out of fashion and were regularly available around $200 used, exc condition. They hit bottom when the W1000 was introduced, but now interest seems to be picking up again.
Now I suppose that NOS W100 might have some collectors' value.
confused.gif

Apr 29, 2004 at 6:17 AM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Prince
I suggest you to email or call the AT SG, last time when I was going to buy EW9 and EM9D, the pricing are different from what they listed on the page.

I had emailed AT SG, AT JP, AT UK, AudioCubes all a long time ago and none of them had any left in stock.

Apr 29, 2004 at 6:33 AM Post #14 of 18
I wouldn't pay more than $300 for the W100s. Yes, they are rare, but I don't think buying them for more than $400 is going to be a wise decision in the long run. My W11JPNs just got sent off after being sold for $380, and from all I've read the W100s worth the price you'd have to pay. The only concievable way to get them for a lower price used besides waiting for someone here is to find a middleman for Yahoo!Japan Auctions, where a W100 shows up once a month at least.

Apr 29, 2004 at 6:58 AM Post #15 of 18
Recently HeadFi member Agile One sold his W-100 for $175 and W-100 for $250.00

Think about it...they're not worth that much...$400.00 is insane...thats HD-650 used + ZU Mobius territory and nowhere near that in terms of sound quality...

some sitting down and thinking in order here...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back