[resolved]
May 22, 2015 at 9:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Figo

100+ Head-Fier
*** Updated: Headphones arrived and paypal claim was withdrawn.  All is well, miscommunication resolved. ***

Hi all,

I've been a member of these forums for 10 years (always as a lurker . . . antisocial :) ), and like many of us have sold and traded gear in the classifieds from time to time. Until today, experience has been wonderful, and I have never had a problem with any members.  

However, I recently sold a pair of Stax Omega 2 to a member with exemplary feedback and 10k+ posts.  He sent the payment on Monday this week (May 18), and I immediately sent the followig message:

Hi [name],

Just saw your payment come through -- thanks!  I closed the ad and will ship ASAP and send you tracking info.  Might be a day or two as I need to find a suitable outer box.

Best,
Jim

On Wednesday, May 20, I bought a box and prepared to ship the headphones.  The buyer inquired if I could ship on Wednesday, and I said sorry, but I would not be able to ship until the next day. (I could not make it home to pack until after 5pm)

I shipped the headphones as promised on Thursday, May 21 -- USPS Priority with full insurance.  I have the receipt and the tracking number reflects the same.

I am traveling for memorial day weekend, so when I got to my destination I got the following message from the member (at 9 PM EST, so well after I had shipped the headphones), along with my response:

Yesterday at 9:31 pm

Jim,

It seems you didn't ship them out again today.  I'm going to change my mind on these.  Please go ahead and issue me a refund to my pay pal account:
[redacted]

Please DO NOT SHIP

Thanks
[name]

My response:

[img]http://cdn.head-fi.org/8/8f/38x38px-ZC-8f22431c_Gato+Barbieri.jpg[/img]
Figo
Yesterday at 9:56 pm

[name],

The headphones already shipped this morning as promised, priority with full insurance.  The tracking number is [X] and the cost to ship was $32.30, priority insured.  I can send you a picture of the receipt if you woud like.

I don't think two business days of handling time in a personal transaction is unusual, is something wrong?

Best,
Jim

Also sent the following as a follow-up:

Also, I apologize if i didn't log on immediately to send a tracking number, but I've never had anyone expect one so quickly after shipment.  I dropped the package off before heading out for my memorial day vacation and just arrived at my destination.  I hope you have a nice holiday weekend.

Best,
Jim

This morning, I wake up and the member has not responsed by PM, but has instead opened a paypal claim stating that the item was not received!!

No communication at all from the member before filing the claim.

It's only been 4 calendar days since payment was sent, and the headphones will arrive tomorrow!

What can I do? I am uploading tracking info to paypal --  Is he trying to steal the headphones by getting payment refunded while keeping the package once it arrives?

Thanks all for any advice.  I don't want to reveal the name as I want to give him a chance to do the right thing first.

May 22, 2015 at 10:01 AM Post #2 of 8
This is why i have always hesitated buying from the FS/FD forums. 

I hope you get the issue resolved. 

May 22, 2015 at 10:58 AM Post #4 of 8
I never buy anything online that I absolutely need to have by a certain date. Every time I have done that, it always arrives just past when it was needed. It's not the fault of the seller - it's just the luck of the weather and the whim of the gods of shipping.

In other words, if the buyer absolutely needed them by a certain date, he shouldn't have tried to do an online P2P purchase.

With all that said, these deals often have two sides to their story, and without the other side, it's hard to know why this deal went sideways.

May 22, 2015 at 11:03 AM Post #5 of 8
Well, since you've already outed his name, we can be frank. 

Your buyer is Darryl/Preproman.  No, he's not "scamming" you.  More likely he was just in a rush (I've had people to ship it same or next day or don't bother shipping at all) or was worried you might be scamming him.  

I find it interesting that both of you guys list D.C. as your residence (part time in his case?)  You could just meet up in person at some point and hash this out in person.

May 22, 2015 at 11:21 AM Post #6 of 8
I just received a reply by PM so we will see where this goes once the package arrives tomorrow.

It was all just very unnerving as the only time I've ever had  a paypal claim filed against me was a "not as described" scam when i sold my iPhone on eBay.  It's not a nice thing to wake up to.

Hopefully it's just a lesson for both of us (and anyone reading this) on setting expectations and communicating appropriately -- keeping in mind that we're all just hobbyists here.

I'll update when there's a resolution so people can get a sense of how something like this can play out.

May 22, 2015 at 5:46 PM Post #7 of 8
  I just received a reply by PM so we will see where this goes once the package arrives tomorrow.

It was all just very unnerving as the only time I've ever had  a Paypal claim filed against me was a "not as described" scam when i sold my iPhone on eBay.  It's not a nice thing to wake up to.

Hopefully it's just a lesson for both of us (and anyone reading this) on setting expectations and communicating appropriately -- keeping in mind that we're all just hobbyists here.

I'll update when there's a resolution so people can get a sense of how something like this can play out.

The buyer might be a little impatient, but as you have sent the headphones, not a lot the seller can do but cancel the dispute, once he receives the headphones.

Jun 10, 2015 at 3:18 PM Post #8 of 8
I've done a transaction with Prep. No listing made, just friendly PM exchange, agreement on terms. No incentive to leave feedback, etc. He's a good dude.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back