resistors for step attenuators
Nov 30, 2008 at 12:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

AudioCats

Headphoneus Supremus
Thinking about making one in the near future since the Alps are pretty expensive, I might as well spend a little more and do a 12-step....

my question is: which resistors shouldn't I use? (which of the boutique brands are bad for such application)

Thanks

Nov 30, 2008 at 2:14 AM Post #2 of 20
well, any resistor line that doesn't have enough spacing between the values to make a sensible attenuator. However, if you're wanting to spend say less than double the price of a suitable Alps, there aren't a whole lot of options out there...

Nov 30, 2008 at 3:33 AM Post #3 of 20
Do you have a budget? Is there a certain manufacturer your leaning toward? PRP, Vishay, etc.
I agree with Luvdunhill, it's a pain to order resistors for a project and discover that you have to make a second order from another suppier for the values that aren't carried by suppier number one.
Also, you might think of ordering a kit maybe.

Nov 30, 2008 at 4:51 AM Post #6 of 20
If I were doing that, I'd order several of each value and match values as closely as possible between channels. For me, matching would be more important than the brand.

Nov 30, 2008 at 5:24 AM Post #8 of 20
some people argue that the quality of the switch is of great importance. I'm inclined to agree. I feel the PRP are of good quality. Again, you may not find all of the needed values in PRP, this happens to me a lot.

Nov 30, 2008 at 6:44 AM Post #9 of 20
good point. Maybe the series type is not any worse than a ladder type in a low budget DIY plan. Even though the signal goes through more resistors in a series stepper, it only goes through one contact, vs the two contacts in a ladder stepper. Without the extra high-end silver switches, the extra contact in a ladder type might generate more problem than the extra soldering joints in the series stepper.

Maybe I should make one each to see....

Nov 30, 2008 at 5:45 PM Post #11 of 20
AudioCats, I was doing some googling and looking around.
Is there a particular attenuator that you were looking at?
The ones I looked at first were on hificollective, among others.
Are you building an attenuator to install in an existing amp?
I have thought about just building an external one to go inline from source to amp. Something that could be used with several amps.

Nov 30, 2008 at 9:19 PM Post #13 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are your guys aware of: DIY Fidelity

I just ordered a 50K built one for $75 AUD about $50.4 USD, shipping is extra.

that is very good price. considering there will be about 100 resistors involved, I am not sure if it can be cheaper to order loose parts and build one myself
redface.gif

How much is the shipping though?

Dec 1, 2008 at 12:44 AM Post #15 of 20
I got a quote from them

"Hi James,
1 x Stereo Stepped Attenuator 100K Kit $50.00 AUD
Shipping cost $12.00 AUD (up to 2 kits can be
send for this price)"

So for under $8 you can get 2 shipped. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back