resampling from TBAAM
Jul 12, 2006 at 3:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

joefosho315

100+ Head-Fier
So from what I'm gathering, it seems that the TBAAM resamples everything to 48 kHz, but does so terribly. So I tried using foobar's resampler, setting it to 48 kHz, and there did seem to be a sonic difference at the time. My question is, even if you feed the TBAAM a 48 kHz signal, will it still resample it to its own 48 kHz signal, or will it instead use foobar's resampled 48 kHz signal? If so, it seems that the foobar resampler may be superior, but then again, it could also be placebo.

Jul 12, 2006 at 7:59 AM Post #2 of 5
I don't know what TBAAM is, but a lot of soundcards which resample do it in a terrible way. So there's a big chance foobar will do a better job. When you let foobar resample to 48khz then the soundcard doesn't resample anymore because it's already at the samplerate the soundcard outputs: 48khz.

Now that you solved the resampling problem, you should also try kernel streaming or asio output to make your sound even better.

Jul 12, 2006 at 6:01 PM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by joefosho315
So from what I'm gathering, it seems that the TBAAM resamples everything to 48 kHz, but does so terribly. So I tried using foobar's resampler, setting it to 48 kHz, and there did seem to be a sonic difference at the time. My question is, even if you feed the TBAAM a 48 kHz signal, will it still resample it to its own 48 kHz signal, or will it instead use foobar's resampled 48 kHz signal? If so, it seems that the foobar resampler may be superior, but then again, it could also be placebo.

I tried this myself using mplayer's upsampler, and in the quick 5 minute test I did cymbals did sound less hashed and the sibilance was cleaner and sweeter. My Lavry was locking at 48khz instead of the usual 44.1, so I suspect it was sending the bitperfect 48khz signal.

Still didn't sound as nice as a pure non-upsampled 44.1khz throuhg my audiophile/192 though.

Jul 12, 2006 at 6:57 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by nightfire
I tried this myself using mplayer's upsampler, and in the quick 5 minute test I did cymbals did sound less hashed and the sibilance was cleaner and sweeter. My Lavry was locking at 48khz instead of the usual 44.1, so I suspect it was sending the bitperfect 48khz signal.

Still didn't sound as nice as a pure non-upsampled 44.1khz throuhg my audiophile/192 though.

Ok, so my ears weren't going crazy then! Just to make sure, there's absolutely no way to get a 44.1 kHz bit-perfect signal through the TBAAM with a Windows OS, correct? Also, how did you send a bit-perfect 48 kHz signal? I thought that the TBAAM's couldn't output bit-perfect signals at all. But you are giving me hope!

Jul 12, 2006 at 8:22 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by joefosho315
Ok, so my ears weren't going crazy then! Just to make sure, there's absolutely no way to get a 44.1 kHz bit-perfect signal through the TBAAM with a Windows OS, correct? Also, how did you send a bit-perfect 48 kHz signal? I thought that the TBAAM's couldn't output bit-perfect signals at all. But you are giving me hope!

Well, I don't know if it was bitperfect, but it seemed to sound slightly better. Basically I upsampled within mplayer (I'm sure there's an equivalent upsampler for Windows), and sent the 48khz to the TBAAM. As it was already 48khz, there would (presumably) be no need to resample it. The toslink output of the TBAAM was 48khz.

As far as I know, there is no way to get a pure 44.1khz output as the internal processor on the TBAAM upsamples to 44.1 -> 48 no matter what.
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back