Request: hip hop songs with limited swearing
Mar 25, 2006 at 8:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

unlimitedx

100+ Head-Fier
I've been listening to a lot of alternative rock, and I am beginning to explore other genres. Hopefully you guys can expand my horizons
smily_headphones1.gif

I esp. like this hip hop song called "Guess who's back" by Rakim.

Mar 25, 2006 at 11:12 AM Post #2 of 37
check out the old stuff. continue with eric b. and rakim. especially their good albums (paid in full), check out the native tounges movement, tribe called quest and de la soul for example. others include krs-one, beastie boys, run-dmc, big daddy kane, etc. basically all the golden era stuff. and gza from wu-tang doesnt cuss on most of his newer album.

and though i may hate to say it, you really cant explore all areas of hip-hop unless you open your mind to the cussing. i know it seems horrible but thats just the way it is. after all, how many good movies have you watched that arent rated-r.

good luck on the journey. your going to enjoy it. i know i did.

Mar 25, 2006 at 5:27 PM Post #4 of 37
Can't go wrong with Jurassic 5...

Mar 25, 2006 at 7:01 PM Post #6 of 37
Just go to walmart (that is, if you live in the states) and get the clean versions lol...but yeah I agree with the other poster you won't get hip hop if you try to limit it, esp. If you want to expand your musical horizons

Mar 25, 2006 at 11:13 PM Post #10 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by redquilang
check out the old stuff. continue with eric b. and rakim. especially their good albums (paid in full), check out the native tounges movement, tribe called quest and de la soul for example. others include krs-one, beastie boys, run-dmc, big daddy kane, etc. basically all the golden era stuff. and gza from wu-tang doesnt cuss on most of his newer album.

and though i may hate to say it, you really cant explore all areas of hip-hop unless you open your mind to the cussing. i know it seems horrible but thats just the way it is. after all, how many good movies have you watched that arent rated-r.

good luck on the journey. your going to enjoy it. i know i did.

Everything he said you should listen to, they are all amazing artists. And they really dont swear that much compared to music nowadays.

Some other artists you mights like are
Bone Thugs N Harmony
Common
Del The Funkyhomosapien
Lord of The Underground
The Roots

Mar 26, 2006 at 12:09 AM Post #11 of 37
The new MF Doom album (Danger Doom, Epitaph 2005) is pretty limited in the cuss department. Awesome beats too.

Blackalicious and Jurrassic 5 were already brought up, but they RULE, so I should definitely second or third that recommendation.

If you want to hear a great album, the first Ozomatli album is excellent and will give you a chance to hear some great latin music and some really good rap.

Tryin' to think... hip-hop without much cursing... have you thought about buying censored albums?
tongue.gif

Some rap I'm into that definitely uses profanity but not in a degenerative way are Public Enemy (not much), Black Star (check out Mos Def and Talib Kweli solo too), k-os, Sweatshop Union, Del tha Funkee Homosapien, MC Paul Barman.

Hope this gives you something to look forward to - there is a LOT of great underground rap out there that keeps away from the stereotypical pop-rap tradition of sexism/mysoginy, murder and gangbanging, crime. Best part? The lyrics are inspiring, the beats are usually way better, and you can feel good about forking over money to them!

Mar 26, 2006 at 7:02 AM Post #14 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by sahwnfras
Everything he said you should listen to, they are all amazing artists. And they really dont swear that much compared to music nowadays.

Some other artists you mights like are
Bone Thugs N Harmony
Common
Del The Funkyhomosapien
Lord of The Underground
The Roots

I agree with all of the above posts (in the whole thread) except for Bone Thugs. I have been listening to them for years and they are not light in cussing. Just because they are fast and you might miss it doesn't mean it isn't there. Just be warned...

Here are 2 more:

Eric B and Rakim - Paid in Full
Handsome Boys Modelling School

Users who are viewing this thread

Back