Request - Headphone maintenance - Any Tips ?
Apr 12, 2013 at 11:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Slash86

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone,

This is my firsh thread here, so I appologize if a missed the right forum section for that kind of question.

I recently bought a pair of phones for nomad purpose and Ultrasone ED8 were the perfect match for me.

As you may imagine, i've been as careful as one would be with that kind of pricey product (especially when used outside).
However, after less than 3 month, I experienced that same old problem with my cables : bad contact and sound disappearing from one side of my head.

Before, I used to put my player in a tink pants' pocket => Cable failure because the cable was too congested / curved

For these phones, i put my player in a big coat's pocket, with the cable outside of the clothes so that it wouldn't happen, it did anyway (cuz i believe the player moved in the pocket and the cable was still torn in some way)

Regardless the size of the cable, this would still happen (happened after 3 months on the tiny cable of the BW P5, after 3 months also with the pretty big Ultrasone cable)

So here is my question : Do you have any tips on HOW to use phones without the fear of moving an inch in order to protect the cable ?

Thanks a lot for your answers

Apr 12, 2013 at 12:00 PM Post #2 of 4
It sound like the sound is coming in and out too often for the problem to be in just the cable, especially since you said you've tried different cables. Check and make sure that your male and female jacks and sockets are good and its not them that are the problem. Try your player with some other headphones and see if anything improves. Check and make sure that your jacks aren't slipping in and out of their socket either. They should "snap" in pretty securely.

Apr 12, 2013 at 1:47 PM Post #3 of 4
Thank you for your answer :) !

Maybe I wasn't clear (not english native), but in fact, it IS a cable problem. I didn't try different cables, i just meant this problem occurred to me on different phones :)

I thought it was a common problem on phones, when the jack get a damaged connexion and when you get the sound when putting the cable in a certain position.

My question is about avoiding this problem. I mean, it always occur one time or another with nomad gear, especialy when you are careless. But with that ED8, i think I have been as careful as possible, and it's high quality material... so right now, I'm feeling like "whatever I do, even If i use it in a way to avoid THIS specific problem, even if i buy expensive phones, this still occur, killing the aim of listening to music, there is nothing more I can do"

So that's my question... is there any magical TIP so that the cables will NEVER get stressed, curved, etc. to a point they will fail ??

Apr 12, 2013 at 8:48 PM Post #4 of 4
Quote:
Thank you for your answer :) !

Maybe I wasn't clear (not english native), but in fact, it IS a cable problem. I didn't try different cables, i just meant this problem occurred to me on different phones :)

I thought it was a common problem on phones, when the jack get a damaged connexion and when you get the sound when putting the cable in a certain position.

My question is about avoiding this problem. I mean, it always occur one time or another with nomad gear, especialy when you are careless. But with that ED8, i think I have been as careful as possible, and it's high quality material... so right now, I'm feeling like "whatever I do, even If i use it in a way to avoid THIS specific problem, even if i buy expensive phones, this still occur, killing the aim of listening to music, there is nothing more I can do"

So that's my question... is there any magical TIP so that the cables will NEVER get stressed, curved, etc. to a point they will fail ??

Oh ok :) As far as I know, I don't know of any "special" tips. I've never really had a big problem with cables failing me and it sounds like you do take care of your gear well so I don't know what to tell you that you don't already know. Maybe someone else has experienced what you are and can offer some insight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back