REQ: Recommendations for replacing my MDR-V6s
Aug 5, 2002 at 3:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

coral

New Head-Fier
Thanks to a rather annoying accident involving my PowerBook, a 3 foot drop, and my headphones, I've, um, slightly broken my current set of Sony MDR-V6s.

I'm looking to replace them at this point, having discovered that they've been heavily criticized for destroying binaural sound -- something I had assumed all headphones did.

My price range is somewhere around $100. I don't have any headphones amps, and in general I'm just a consumer user; my primary audio source will be my Apple PowerBook G4, which does a wonderful job of being my only piece of hardware.

I have one specific concern: My hearing is rather skillful in the high frequencies. I've become accustomed to the white noise televisions and monitors put out -- as well as the slightly more painful dog whistles and ultrasonics racoon traps.

The MDR-V6s made me happy in the high-frequency department, but I'd really like binaural sound back.

I'm considering the Grado SR80, but noting that I'll have to spend some extra money making them comfortable. That's acceptable, if they're good enough. I've also seen that the MDR-V600s aren't on the list of "destroys binaural sound" -- but if they're the same as the V6, then it's good to avoid them.

I'll most often be using the headphones in noisy environments, so I prefer the closed-air style.

Recommendations? Suggestions? Thanks!
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 5, 2002 at 3:49 AM Post #2 of 16
Don't touch the v600s with a ten foot pole. The v6s are great. The 600s aren't. Run a search.
smily_headphones1.gif
Hmm, for a recommendations, I'd say the philips hp890s. They were quite popular around here a few months ago. . .

Aug 5, 2002 at 4:15 AM Post #3 of 16
Mm, the HP890s look really nice. I found someone in the UK who has them. Still trying for a US source for pricing, but $109 is acceptable.

Thanks!

(Hey, what's this cool Marketplace thing. Oo, someone else is looking for them! Yay
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 5, 2002 at 5:19 AM Post #5 of 16
One of the reviews about the K240 series mentions that you'd probably want to amp them to drive them properly -- as well as a few "avoid this manufacturer" comments (not just here). Not being in the market for an amp, and having only my PowerBook, it seems (so far) I'd be happier with the HP890s -- which have gotten rather cheery reviews.

I'll look around for a comparison on the boards later; perhaps there's something more to read.

I wonder if I'd even be able to tell the difference between the HP890 and the HP910, not being experienced at headphones in general.

Aug 5, 2002 at 7:33 AM Post #6 of 16
What do you mean when you say "destroys binaural sound?"

As for the HP890 vs. HP910, they're mucho differente
wink.gif
You'll be able to tell.

Re: "Avoid this manufacturer" referring AKG, I'm not sure who would say that. AKG is a great manufacturer that makes many stellar headphones. Their biggest drawback, IMO, is that most (not all, but most) of their headphones require a dedicated headphone amp to sound good.

Finally, if you want closed headphones, neither the 890 nor the 910 are really closed (nor am I a big fan of either, truth be told).

Do you want something with lots of bright treble? If not, you should give the Beyer DT250-80 a try. They sound great out of a PowerBook, are closed, and sound better than any of the other headphones yet mentioned here.

Aug 5, 2002 at 7:37 AM Post #7 of 16
Another set of V6s
wink.gif

Seriously though, I really hate watching TV because of the high pitched noise I hear. It's with any TV and I can hear even hear if a TV is on if I'm outside and 50 feet away from the house. It's also weird because when the TV is on and if I walk away about 25 feet, the noise is still just a loud. It friggin annoys the hell out of me but most other people I know never notice it
confused.gif

Aug 5, 2002 at 7:56 AM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by MacDEF
What do you mean when you say "destroys binaural sound?"

Several websites on a google search document the MDR-V6 and MDR-V7 blurring binaural sound being played in such a fashion that it's no longer distinguishable as binaural at certain points -- I think specifically the "center" channel. Novice google researching here.

Quote:

As for the HP890 vs. HP910, they're mucho differente
wink.gif
You'll be able to tell.

O, tay.

Quote:

Re: "Avoid this manufacturer" referring AKG, I'm not sure who would say that. AKG is a great manufacturer that makes many stellar headphones. Their biggest drawback, IMO, is that most (not all, but most) of their headphones require a dedicated headphone amp to sound good.

I might have mixed up them with another. It's been a long evening, and I've read way too many reviews in the past six hours. But definitely not in the market for an amp at this time, so they're lower on my list for now. Next year I get to buy super-leet headphones, though.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Finally, if you want closed headphones, neither the 890 nor the 910 are really closed (nor am I a big fan of either, truth be told).

Yeah, I was curious what the open was like. Why don't you like them?

Quote:

Do you want something with lots of bright treble?

Well, I'm rather sensitive to it, so I think the answer is "No" -- a little treble goes a long ways.

Quote:

If not, you should give the Beyer DT250-80 a try. They sound great out of a PowerBook, are closed, and sound better than any of the other headphones yet mentioned here.

Yup. They are also technically out of my price range -- but I may have just found a set for sale that'll get close enough to reasonable in price for me to buy.

Thanks!

Aug 5, 2002 at 7:40 PM Post #9 of 16
i think most people can hear the noise from tvs... but dog whistles... what HZ are they??? anywho, I would recommend the Sennheiser HD280PRO the phillips are completely open, so they wont work for you. the beyers dont have the greatest high end in the world i have heard, and they are too spendy you tell. The Sennheiser HD280 PRO are like V6's but better in every aspect but portability.

Aug 5, 2002 at 7:45 PM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by Khazim
Another set of V6s
wink.gif

Seriously though, I really hate watching TV because of the high pitched noise I hear. It's with any TV and I can hear even hear if a TV is on if I'm outside and 50 feet away from the house. It's also weird because when the TV is on and if I walk away about 25 feet, the noise is still just a loud. It friggin annoys the hell out of me but most other people I know never notice it
confused.gif

I hate that noise too, its soo annoying. At school, when the teachers leave the TVS on they are completely black on the screens, but the noise still comes out, and it drives me nuts so i get up and turn it off in the middle of class and everyone looks at me like im crazy.... "what are you doing"

"turning off the tv... doesnt that noise bug you?"

"what?"

"nevermind"

Aug 8, 2002 at 3:53 AM Post #11 of 16
I think you may be confused as to what binaural is. I'm guessing you read this page over on HeadWize, which specificly says avoid the V6 for binaural recordings. But you may have missed exactly what 'binaural' is. To cut to the chase, binaural is a specific type of recording, intended just for headphones. If you don't have any binaural recordings, you don't need to worry about binaural sound.

What you may be tinking of is what's normally refered to as 'soundstage'. Basicly, a 'closed soundstage' sounds like everything is playing inside your head, while an 'open soundstage' doesn't have quite the same 'speakers right next to your ears' effect; they sound a bit more distant.

Hope this helps!

Aug 8, 2002 at 4:21 AM Post #13 of 16
HI: I would like to add that the philips 890s for me need an amp to sound at thier fullest. I have been useing the 890s alot lately out of a cmoy 2-9 volt batt. amp. These are big drivers and in my opinion need a good amp to sound really good. To bad you want closed because if open was ok the koss-35 or portapro would sound great without an amp.

Aug 8, 2002 at 4:38 AM Post #14 of 16
Get the V6 would be a revisited.
Get the Hd-280 if you have 20 dollars more than the V6 to spend.
Get the SR-80 if you love it liquid midrange and don't care about the leak.
Get the AKG if you believe Mcdeff (I've no clue on this phone).

Get the Phillips if you believe
Jan Meier

Aug 10, 2002 at 3:33 AM Post #15 of 16
I have to add my objections to the HP890. I owned them for a brief time, and I found them bulky and not as comfortable as some (warning: they are HUGE!). The bass and highs on these phones are ok, but the midrange is poorly articulated and not worth their purchase price for this factor alone. Plus, switching from the V6 to the 890 you will notice a GIANT difference in soundstage. The 890's IMO have a wide but ill-defined soundstage.

The 890's are for some, but not for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back