Repost: Where to check out in NYC?
Nov 13, 2008 at 3:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

worminater

100+ Head-Fier
Hello. My mind went blank and I posted this elsewhere the other day; but it seems most appropriate for this forum.

I am heading to NYC in a few weeks; I've never been there; and am looking for interesting places to check out. Many people have similar tastes in shops as myself I assume; so opinions here would be greatly appreciated.
smily_headphones1.gif

There are a few things I am looking to buy if I can find them locally anywhere; namely a USB Dac for use at work (thinking iBasso D2 or simialr; for use with SA6 on Win or Unix). I also think I'd pick up something like a Marantz 1080 or similar (with speakers of course) so I could move my PC speakers to living room (and would power my DT770s beautifully I hope).

I'm thinking of trying to find a DAC at J&R Music World but honestly do not know where to begin looking for any vintage equipment.

I'm also into comic books/computers/etc, and was planning on getting dinner in China Town if possible.

Thanks in advance for any advice
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks,
Chris

*edit*
Link to my original thread. Thanks to VicAjax for pointing me to a more proper forum
smily_headphones1.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f46/wh...5/#post4975245

Nov 13, 2008 at 4:07 PM Post #2 of 14
Stereo Exchange - 627 Broadway

My favorite chinatown restaurant: 'Wo Hop' - 17 Mott st

Nov 13, 2008 at 5:20 PM Post #3 of 14
some stuff I like:

music stores: Other Music on west 4th street is good.

museums: MOMA on 53rd is great, Cloisters way upotown is underrated, New Museum on Bowery is quite polarizing though I love it personally.

restaurants: lots of good ones... one restaurant which is more of a "destination" than others for myself is Kun Jip 9 W 32nd at 5th Ave (korean). Open 24 hours so go on a whim.

clothing stores: lots of good ones, depends on your style.

music venues: my favorites are Knitting Facotory, Market Hotel and Death by Audio. Bowery Ballroom and Highline Ballroom are also very good.

enjoy the visit

Nov 13, 2008 at 6:28 PM Post #4 of 14
The Metropolitan museum of art is awesome. Highly recommend you go on one of the weekend days when it is open late--much quieter and more intimate atmosphere than during the (school) days.

The American Museum (of Natural History), Guggenheim and the Frick collection are within easy walking distance of the Metropolitan. All are excellent, but I would recommend the Frick first...simply because it is such a unique experience, relative to the big monolithic art museums.

My favorite thing to do in NYC is to eat. It is one of the few cities in the world where you can wake up and think of some wild ethnic cuisine, then hop on the subway and be eating excellent food within 30-60 minutes.

(I know there have been threads on NYC before, try searching!)

Nov 13, 2008 at 7:18 PM Post #5 of 14
I need some serious NY 101 seeing how I will be there for at least 2 months next summer.

Nov 13, 2008 at 7:31 PM Post #6 of 14
Greenwich Village is a cool place to poke around. There's lots of little music shops, restaurants, and it's close to Chinatown and Little Italy.

You also need to at least walk through Times Square, if not hang around for a bit.

Nov 13, 2008 at 8:10 PM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by MoodySteve /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Greenwich Village is a cool place to poke around. There's lots of little music shops, restaurants, and it's close to Chinatown and Little Italy.

You also need to at least walk through Times Square, if not hang around for a bit.

I do remember eating at this restaurant called 'Blue Hill' when I visited Greenwich Village..pretty good food...little expensive..but what isn't in NYC

Nov 14, 2008 at 1:21 PM Post #11 of 14
Ty for the responses
smily_headphones1.gif
Definitely helps me hammer out a "todo" list.

Much thanks,
Chris

Nov 16, 2008 at 4:58 AM Post #12 of 14
Metropolitan Museum of Art (bring comfortable shoes).
Museum of Natural History (same as above).
J&R music world ... lots of cool toys and a headphone wall.
Audio Cubes ... small but posh.
Chinatown for food ... good food at a great price.
The park is nice if you have time and weather is decent. A few new statues there near the MMA.
Don't forget comfy shoes and some snacks.

Nov 30, 2008 at 8:07 AM Post #14 of 14
I came in at Penn and hit up a number of the shops listed below (no time for museums alas; twas only so many hours to search)

After ogling a 103" plasma, I ended up grabbing a behringer UCA202 from JR's. The headphone out actualy gives cleaner sound than my xfi compared to my SA6's (But can't drive my DT770 250s to audible volume). Will be perfect for work.

Thanks again for help all
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks,
Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

Back