Reply to some bugs of X3’s new firmware and new function suggestions from our end-users!
Jun 8, 2014 at 6:38 PM Post #167 of 190
Thanks for the suggestions! I'm eager to try both, but I don't know how to do either. Any chance you could give some instructions, as well?

Thanks again, in advance!

The factory reset is as simple as using a small paper clip or SIM eject tool to press the button in the reset hole on the top of the X3 - hold it down for at least 2 seconds. Then the X3 will reboot with all settings (including language) set to factory.

To clear and rebuild the database files, follow these instructions:

http://fiio.com.cn/support/detail.aspx?ID=100000037065714

Dale

Jun 8, 2014 at 8:31 PM Post #168 of 190
Updated to 3.0 about a week ago.  Worked fine without incident until today while I was mowing the grass.  Played a selection(Flac 96/24) without incident for the first hour.  Then,  upon my second selection(also Flac 96/24) the player repeatedly froze/stopped playing.  Gave up on that selection and went to a third.  Also stopped playing three times.  Of these times,  it required a paper clip reset three times.  I tried a third album and it played without incident.  All of my music is in Flac format.   What gives????

McHoop

Jun 8, 2014 at 9:29 PM Post #169 of 190
Had my first problem with the new firmware the other day too. Was playing a song, bout half way through the x3 made a few screeches and then skipped to the next track. I went back and tried ffwd to the middle of the same song which completely froze the x3, need to be p-clipped. Turned out it was the file that somehow got corrupted - probably during transfer. Normally I use Musicbee to do my file transfers, but that doesn't verify the files afterwards. Maybe if people are just using drag-and-drop a prog like teracopy could help (that how I re-transferred the album in question, works perfectly now). I've seen a few post of progs to check yr mp3s/etc for integrity but haven't tried any myself.

Jun 8, 2014 at 9:53 PM Post #170 of 190
Thanks, Dale. I've been using the paper clip reset which solves the immediate problem of getting past the freeze/shut-down, but the problem continues to occur.

From my Mac computer, I have been unable to follow FiiO's instructions on "How to delete the database file in the X3 disk". They seem to be written specifically for use with a PC, not a Mac. I searched the FiiO website for further instructions, to no avail.

From recent comments in this thread by other X3 owners, I seem not to be alone with this issue. Any other suggestions? 

Jun 8, 2014 at 11:26 PM Post #171 of 190
  Thanks, Dale. I've been using the paper clip reset which solves the immediate problem of getting past the freeze/shut-down, but the problem continues to occur.

From my Mac computer, I have been unable to follow FiiO's instructions on "How to delete the database file in the X3 disk". They seem to be written specifically for use with a PC, not a Mac. I searched the FiiO website for further instructions, to no avail.

From recent comments in this thread by other X3 owners, I seem not to be alone with this issue. Any other suggestions? 

I'm primarily a Mac user as well, but I tend to forget that not all Mac users have a Windows BootCamp partition or virtual machine available on their Mac. The solution to show Windows hidden files on a Mac is quite simple:

1. Open Terminal (under Applications/Utilities).
2. In the Terminal window, type the following:

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles 1

2a. Close all Finder windows and issue the following command in Terminal to restart Finder:

sudo killall finder

2b. Once Finder has restarted, open a new Finder window and continue with the steps below.

3. Connect the X3 to your Mac via USB cable with the X3 configured in Storage mode.
4. Open the 'X3' drive that appears in Finder or from the desktop icon that appears. You should now see any Windows hidden files as 'ghosted' or 'greyed-out' in the Finder window - see the picture below.

5. Select the file usrlocal_media.db and move it to the trash and then empty the trash.
6. Close all open Finder windows.
7. In Terminal issue the following command to re-hide the normally hidden files:

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles 0

8. Eject your X3 (and any other storage drives mounted with your X3) and then do a manual rebuild of the database from the X3 menu.

Hope that helps explain it. If rebuilding the database doesn't solve your problem it is almost definitely a corrupt file or file that the X3 doesn't support that is giving you problems, or perhaps bad ID3 tagging. Let me know if there are any questions.

Dale

Jun 10, 2014 at 9:39 PM Post #172 of 190
Hi Dale,

Thanks so much for this very thorough and detailed explanation. I tried it several times, following each step carefully, but was only able to complete through Step #4. My Finder didn't reveal any hidden folders. The usrlocal_media.db file doesn't show up at all. Nor do the other greyed-out folders/files showing in your screen shot above. Dr. Chesky…Sound Show appears, as do the FiiO pdf files, but none of the others appear. Not sure what I'm doing wrong, but I can't get beyond there to follow the rest of your instructions.

I'm sorry to take up so much of your time with this. I can only hope that others are benefitting, as well, in the process.

Thanks again!

Jun 11, 2014 at 2:09 PM Post #173 of 190
I would like to share several objections to the new firmware.
1) Lack of the Custom Volume option – upon start-up the player remembers the last volume setting. This can be a real issue, since there are records (especially albums with old mastering or most LP rips) that have an overall lower volume than contemporary records. It is clear what happens when you’re playing a “silent” record with the volume cranked up high and then turn the player off – next day you decide to play a contemporary “loud” album and the volume blows your head off.
I think this is very inconvenient, the possible solution being to go back to the Custom and Memory options from the 2.1 version.
2) It would be nice to make the treble/bass settings part of the Quick Menu.
3) The Play Now screen. If there is no album cover or lyrics, this screen should be displayed without the standard background image. Or a theme should be added which has a blank Play Now screen, without a picture.
Why do song and artist data disappear from the screen after some time? Why is the song name displayed twice, while the album name is not displayed at all?
I would logically expect the Artist, Album and Song Title items to be permanently displayed on the Play Now screen. This is a complete nonsense and should be fixed.

Hello Marty, I agree with you on your 3rd point. That would be a nice feature to be added.

But as for 1 & 2 regarding the volume options, I guess it depends on how you use the X3. I use the Line-Out to my E12 which negates all volume options.

So, personally, seeing those options on the quick menu would probably prompt me to post on Head-Fi against it.

Cheers.

Jul 1, 2014 at 6:40 AM Post #174 of 190
Apologies, but I haven't been able to find a record of someone mentioning this previously: I honestly thought this would be fixed with FW 3.0 and it isn't:  when going "back" from the now-playing screen, the UI directs to the main "browse files" root directory instead of the album folder? 

Perhaps I'm doing something wrong, but it seems as if there would be greater demand for this.  I'm tired of dialing all the way through my folders on multiple occasions, and created a head-fi account for the sole purpose of figuring out a way around this.

Jul 1, 2014 at 7:59 AM Post #175 of 190
  Apologies, but I haven't been able to find a record of someone mentioning this previously: I honestly thought this would be fixed with FW 3.0 and it isn't:  when going "back" from the now-playing screen, the UI directs to the main "browse files" root directory instead of the album folder? 

Perhaps I'm doing something wrong, but it seems as if there would be greater demand for this.  I'm tired of dialing all the way through my folders on multiple occasions, and created a head-fi account for the sole purpose of figuring out a way around this.

It has been raised on the X5 thread (FW 3.0 is broadly X5 FW 2.0) and is a known issue on bugzilla. There have been a couple of public betas since X5 FW 2.0, but I am not sure if this has been addressed as yet. It is certainly on the to do list for Fiio, so hopefully we can see some changes in the forthcoming firmware releases.

Jul 1, 2014 at 11:51 AM Post #176 of 190
Hi Dale,

Thanks so much for this very thorough and detailed explanation. I tried it several times, following each step carefully, but was only able to complete through Step #4. My Finder didn't reveal any hidden folders. The [COLOR=333333]usrlocal_media.db file doesn't show up at all. Nor do the other greyed-out folders/files showing in your screen shot above. Dr. Chesky…Sound Show appears, as do the FiiO pdf files, but none of the others appear. Not sure what I'm doing wrong, but I can't get beyond there to follow the rest of your instructions.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333]I'm sorry to take up so much of your time with this. I can only hope that others are benefitting, as well, in the process.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333]Thanks again![/COLOR]

You need to restart the Finder too in order to see or hide immediately the hidden files. You can type in terminal:

killall finder

Or you can press Command, Option and Escape (cmd+alt+esc) and restart it from the system UI.

Jul 2, 2014 at 11:49 AM Post #178 of 190

Open a bugzilla account and increase the number of votes for "Bug 6 – navigate back through file tree from 'Now Playing' screen | navigation type forgotten after power off" by another 3 votes
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back