Replacment/upgrade for sen 580
Nov 19, 2002 at 9:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

PAGEFAULT

Head-Fier
Hey all. Well I just got an Mg Head OTL. Altho the sound dosnt impress me yet, I'll give in a few weeks to break in. But I have found out a problem. My sen 580's when playing music with headvy bass rattles. its very anying and I have cleaned them but it still happens. What is a viable upgade for the sen 580s? I would like some head phone that will work well with the mg head otl. Im also thinking of keeping the hd580s and get another pair of headphones that sound different that the 580. Maybe get a grado? Basicly I want something that will work with the mg head. No price limit set yet.

Nov 19, 2002 at 9:35 AM Post #2 of 11
Others will verify this, but make sure to watch out as this amp prefers high impedance cans!! Low impedance cans don't sound so good with it!!!

Hopefull you can come up with a budget soon as that will make the suggestions become much more specific!! If you enjoy that Senn sound, you may consider the 600s as a viable alternative!! I bet you'll be seeing a number of them up for sale used here, just keep an eye out!!!

Nov 19, 2002 at 12:10 PM Post #3 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by ServinginEcuador
Others will verify this, but make sure to watch out as this amp prefers high impedance cans!! Low impedance cans don't sound so good with it!!!

Hopefull you can come up with a budget soon as that will make the suggestions become much more specific!! If you enjoy that Senn sound, you may consider the 600s as a viable alternative!! I bet you'll be seeing a number of them up for sale used here, just keep an eye out!!!

ok
smily_headphones1.gif
what are some good hight impeadance cans above 100 USD and below, 600 usd.

Nov 19, 2002 at 2:18 PM Post #4 of 11
Heavy bass rattles? Hmmm, could your 580s be defective, perhaps? Try playing some loud music on your 580s for a few days, and then try. Quite honestly, the sennheiser 580 should SING with the mg head otl. What are you using as a source?

Sure, the 600s would be an upgrade, and within your price range. But they ARE pretty much the same as the 580s. A drastic change they won't be.

Nov 19, 2002 at 7:15 PM Post #5 of 11
Pagefault, once you get used to that senn sound - i don't know if you'll like the grado sound. if you consider the senns "best" for laid back music (even across the whole spectrum), you may want something for techno (aggressive bass), or another type of can for vocals (expanded soundtage), etc. but i think it'll be too much of a culture shock to go to the grados when you're coming from the senns. just my too cents worth. i'm anxiously awaiting gerG's review of the ad10's. i hope he'll do a full comparison to the senn600c's he's got.

Nov 19, 2002 at 9:56 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by andrzejpw
Heavy bass rattles? Hmmm, could your 580s be defective, perhaps? Try playing some loud music on your 580s for a few days, and then try. Quite honestly, the sennheiser 580 should SING with the mg head otl. What are you using as a source?

Sure, the 600s would be an upgrade, and within your price range. But they ARE pretty much the same as the 580s. A drastic change they won't be.

I have had them for over 2 years now, it started about a year ago. Its a little late for that now.

My soruce is a JVC-D723 dvd audio/video player. Would it be more cost effective to upgrade this with a nice deticaed cd player? Here is a review that says the CD playing is below par if anywone is interested HERE

Call me crazy, but when I listen to radio the distortion is bad, range isnt as much but the music sounds deeper than my dvd player. BTW I have no DVD-A discs and dont plan to get any, all I want to Redbook cd.
Can a better cd player really make a large diffrence? or will it be small like interconects.

Nov 20, 2002 at 4:37 AM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

when I listen to radio the distortion is bad, range isnt as much but the music sounds deeper than my dvd player.

it might be because there's less seperation and less s/n? personally i can't listen to fm at home. in the car, no problem. heck, i mostly listen to AM because they have so few quality FM stations.

Nov 20, 2002 at 11:02 PM Post #8 of 11
Do you have long hair?

Sounds like hair caught in the foam lining if you ask me...

remove the pads... take out the foam... put the pads back on... is the rattle still there??

If so... have a look at the driver, and see if you can see hairs on it?

Nov 21, 2002 at 5:50 AM Post #11 of 11
http://www.tubehifi.com/MG_HEAD.HTM

didn't headphone.com say that there's supposed to be reliability problems with the mg head? and that's why they're not selling them or recommending them?

you may want to start doing tube rolling, or at least trying the same tubes but from different manufacturers.

do a search in the amp section for mg head.

and definitely try another set of cans, referably hd580's, with your amp.

http://www.stereophile.com/showarchives.cgi?408 notice where they mentioned 'rattle'. maybe all you need is a little silicon applied in the right places.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back