Replacing Pads for Grado SR-60 Necessary?
Oct 24, 2008 at 11:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

ExtendeD

100+ Head-Fier
Hey there. Thanks to everyone who helped me in my previous thread. I wanted a taste of the Grado sound so I think I'm going to tryout the SR-60's. They're cheap, so I figured why not. Searching in previous threads, I saw many people discuss replacing the stock pads. Many have mentioned the Bowl Pads, which are $15. These are supposed to make them sound close the SR-80. I also saw some people mention the yellow Sennheiser 414 pads, which are about $4.50. I see if you do the quarter mod, it improves sound. Which pad is better? More comfortable? At first, I planned on buying both at ttvj and using the $10 off coupon. That would bring the total to about $75. If the Sennheiser pads are better, I could buy the headphone first, and get the pads seperately.

Thanks all.

Oct 25, 2008 at 12:00 AM Post #2 of 14
Quote:

Which pad is better? More comfortable?

That will be up to you and what you prefer..

I have tried several mods (quarter, bowls, reverse bowls, HD414..)..In the end I stayed with the 414 pads for the SR60. I like the way they sit on the ear (flatter) and to me they are comfortable.

Oct 25, 2008 at 1:10 AM Post #3 of 14
No it is not necessary to change pads. I bought the bowl pads and they were a waste of money for me. They were not as comfortable the upper mids/treble became too prominent with bowl pads in my opinion. The stock comfy pads are more comfortable and balanced sounding. Never tried the HD414, flat, or reversed pads or did any mods to pads.

If you get them, just try them out for a while and see if you like them the way they are. No pads are better though, just different.

Oct 25, 2008 at 2:07 AM Post #4 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeatFan12 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That will be up to you and what you prefer..

I have tried several mods (quarter, bowls, reverse bowls, HD414..)..In the end I stayed with the 414 pads for the SR60. I like the way they sit on the ear (flatter) and to me they are comfortable.

Ok, thanks for the help. Comfort is very important to me, I'll be sure to check them out sometime.

Thanks again.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JayB18 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No it is not necessary to change pads. I bought the bowl pads and they were a waste of money for me. They were not as comfortable the upper mids/treble became too prominent with bowl pads in my opinion. The stock comfy pads are more comfortable and balanced sounding. Never tried the HD414, flat, or reversed pads or did any mods to pads.

If you get them, just try them out for a while and see if you like them the way they are. No pads are better though, just different.

Alright, thanks for the imput. That's a good idea, I will probably just buy them first and see how I like them. I can always buy the pads after.

Thanks again.

Oct 25, 2008 at 2:21 AM Post #5 of 14
Stock pads were so uncomfortable to me, it made me prefer earbuds.

But I just switched to the yellow HD414 pads, and they're MUCH more comfortable. I probably get twice as much time wearing them before they start to bother me compared to the stock ones. They still get uncomfortable after many hours but much better than stock.

Haven't tried the bowls so I can't comment on that.

Oct 25, 2008 at 3:12 AM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cinders /img/forum/go_quote.gif

But I just switched to the yellow HD414 pads, and they're MUCH more comfortable. I probably get twice as much time wearing them before they start to bother me compared to the stock ones. They still get uncomfortable after many hours but much better than stock.

Out of curiosity, how do the 414 pads sound in comparison to the stock pads. I still use my SR60 from time to time so it might be nice to try them.

Oct 25, 2008 at 3:23 AM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cinders /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Ah, ok. I had the fear that these would get uncomfortable after short listening sessions, as many said it began to feel uncomfortable after an hour or so. But a couple hours, that's not too bad. Did you do the quarter mod. And if you don't mind me asking, where did you buy yours? Ebay? Straight from Sennheiser?

Thanks.

Oct 25, 2008 at 3:46 AM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by ExtendeD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ah, ok. I had the fear that these would get uncomfortable after short listening sessions, as many said it began to feel uncomfortable after an hour or so. But a couple hours, that's not too bad. Did you do the quarter mod. And if you don't mind me asking, where did you buy yours? Ebay? Straight from Sennheiser?

Thanks.

I got mine from ebay only because shipping from Senn was too expensive for me.

As for how it sounds, the stock ones, I did the quarter mod on, and so far I haven't done that with the 414 ones. But I do notice the sound being more muffled, so I'll probably do the quarter mod on the 414 ones too. I found it to be too much of a noticeable difference. I think right now they sound about the same as the stocks un-modded, but I can't tell for sure since it was a long time ago when I used them un-modded.

Oct 25, 2008 at 4:02 AM Post #9 of 14
Hmmm, I probably mentioned this in a PM, but the different Grado pads are fairly subjective in comfort. Many don't like the bowls while others swear by them. Most like the "comfies" but I personally find them too soft and hot. I've never tried the HD414 pads.

On another note, $69+$15 for the bowl pads = $84. Why not just get the SR80 for $95 if you want those pads?

Oct 25, 2008 at 4:14 AM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Roboto /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmmm, I probably mentioned this in a PM, but the different Grado pads are fairly subjective in comfort. Many don't like the bowls while others swear by them. Most like the "comfies" but I personally find them too soft and hot. I've never tried the HD414 pads.

On another note, $69+$15 for the bowl pads = $84. Why not just get the SR80 for $95 if you want those pads?

Hmm, interesting. In regards to the SR80, I heard that the SR60's with bowls are fairly close to them. I figure $10 saved is better than $0 saved.

Anyways, thanks for your help.

Oct 25, 2008 at 6:49 PM Post #12 of 14
Alright guys, thanks for all the help. I think I'm going to go ahead and order the headphones, and see how I like the pads, as there are many different opinions here. I'll add a pole in the mean time to see what's popular.

Thanks again all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back