Replacing my system - help me accomodate my cans
post-214277
Post #1 of 2

twitch

New Head-Fier
Reaction score
I was running with an Aiwa NSX-707 minisystem recently (embarassment, I know), which was a temporary substitute for a vintage Sony/JBL combo I was using that died. The left channel on the Aiwa went belly up the other day, so I figured it's finally time to step up to the entry level hifi plate.

I've thus been looking at this Cambridge Audio deal: http://www.audioadvisor.com/store/pr...20T500%20Tuner

However, it lacks headphone out, and it seems most decent integrated amps on the market under 500 bucks lack such a feature as well.

So, unless someone can toss me a comparable amp at a similar price, I guess I'm going to aim for getting this setup and attaching a seperate headphone amp to the Pre-Out on the Cambridge for the time I spend in my HD-280 pro's (about 1/3rd of my home listening). My budget is very tight, but I'd like someting with a solid enclosure that would blend well with the Cambridge setup. I guess I'd prefer it to be AC powered, although I wouldn't reject battery powered offerings.

So, what kind of headphone amp should I look at under these criteria? The Rega Ear looks intriguing, but I can't find a good stateside vendor to purchase it from, at least none that have it at 200 USD or under. Suggestions?

post-219564
Post #2 of 2

TimSchirmer

Repelling digital infidels. (Would that be called the Digifadah?)
Reaction score
I'd go for the Rega EAR. Not many people here have heard it either, it would be cool to get some impressions of it. Rega is a pretty respectable company too. You could also just get a CHA47 and some grados, and sell the HD-280's

To be honest, the CHA47 (with good parts) along with grados has always been one of my favorite headphone/amp combos.

or have someone make you a meta42

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)