Replacing my system - help me accomodate my cans
Nov 12, 2002 at 11:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

twitch

New Head-Fier
I was running with an Aiwa NSX-707 minisystem recently (embarassment, I know), which was a temporary substitute for a vintage Sony/JBL combo I was using that died. The left channel on the Aiwa went belly up the other day, so I figured it's finally time to step up to the entry level hifi plate.

I've thus been looking at this Cambridge Audio deal: http://www.audioadvisor.com/store/pr...20T500%20Tuner

However, it lacks headphone out, and it seems most decent integrated amps on the market under 500 bucks lack such a feature as well.

So, unless someone can toss me a comparable amp at a similar price, I guess I'm going to aim for getting this setup and attaching a seperate headphone amp to the Pre-Out on the Cambridge for the time I spend in my HD-280 pro's (about 1/3rd of my home listening). My budget is very tight, but I'd like someting with a solid enclosure that would blend well with the Cambridge setup. I guess I'd prefer it to be AC powered, although I wouldn't reject battery powered offerings.

So, what kind of headphone amp should I look at under these criteria? The Rega Ear looks intriguing, but I can't find a good stateside vendor to purchase it from, at least none that have it at 200 USD or under. Suggestions?

Nov 19, 2002 at 9:16 PM Post #2 of 2
I'd go for the Rega EAR. Not many people here have heard it either, it would be cool to get some impressions of it. Rega is a pretty respectable company too. You could also just get a CHA47 and some grados, and sell the HD-280's

To be honest, the CHA47 (with good parts) along with grados has always been one of my favorite headphone/amp combos.

or have someone make you a meta42
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back