Replacing my Sony MDR CD480, help a newbie out.
Sep 23, 2012 at 1:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

PolishSausage

New Head-Fier
I'll make this quick.

I have about $300 bucks to spend on new over the ear headphones.  My last and only pair (sony MDR-cd480) died and I need to replace them.  I know very little about headphones in general and some of the info on this forum can be pretty intimidating.

I've narrowed my choices to the following:
Sennheiser HD 598
AKG Q701 (not sure if these are a good option as my head is pretty small)
ATH AD700/900

if I were to get any of these, would I need an amp/dac if I'm listening to my music through an iMAC (is the e17 a good choice with these headphones).  I also plan on using these for movie watching at night when the kids are asleep and playing the odd game on the ps3.

Also, I heard good things about Grado headphones but I'm worried that the fact that they sit on your ears will make them uncomfortable for long wearing over long periods, is this a valid concern?

Sep 30, 2012 at 12:43 PM Post #2 of 3
I would go with an AKG K701 or Q701 (basically the same cans)... They Audio Technicas are nothing for small heads, heard many ppl. complain about them in terms of comfort... They fit kinda loose...

Sennheiser's 598's aren't bad cans either, but i prefer the AKG sound, they are more detailed, balanced and have very nice higgs, plus an awesome soundstage...

regards,
Rick

Sep 30, 2012 at 12:58 PM Post #3 of 3
People have been raving about the Hifiman HE400 lately. You might want to check them out. Also, I have read that they go well with the E17.

Edit: I realize that the HE400 is a bit above what you wanted to spend, but you might decide that it is worth it, and you can always look for a pair used.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back