Replacing my JVC FX700 -- $150 to $300 budget. Mostly for rock & electronic.
Mar 9, 2018 at 1:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

akdms

New Head-Fier
My JVC HA-FX700 earbuds are on their way out and am in need of a replacement.

Listening environment: iPhone 7 plus, Spotify, primarily used at work in an open office setting (low cube walls, with five co-workers sitting within five feet of me). No amp, but not opposed to getting one, especially if the headphones are on the lower end of my price point. Since I need to hear if my co-workers are trying to speak to me (and also don't want to share my music with them), I usually only turn my iPhone up to 4 or 5 bars (~25% volume).

Music: I go through phases where I listen to different styles, so I'd like to something somewhat versatile, but I tend to end up back to rock (ex, Chili Peppers, Pearl Jam, Alter Bridge, Deftones, NiN), electronic (ex, Infected Mushrooms, Glitch Mob, Seven Lions), some dubstep / trip hop (ex, Benga, Gramatik), and some ambience (ex, Massive Attack, Explosions in the Sky).

I don't have too much experience with headphones... My only other comparison are my AKG Q701. I generally like my JVCs more than the AKGs (though that might be due to lack of amp to power the AKGs). Sound stage is better on the AKG, bass is *much* better on the JVCs. AKG highs are a bit too bright, while the JVCs are too muted -- something in the middle would probably be ideal. I like the JVC mids a little more -- smoother than the AKG, though for rock they are a little muddy / overshadowed by the bass, so again something in the middle (leaning towards the JVCs) would probably be ideal.

Headphones I'm considering: Looking for suggestions, but I've been eying FLC8S due to the versatility (high end of my price point though), JVC HA-FX850, 1More Quad Driver, Oriveti New Primacy... There are so many, lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back